Cell Phones: Good or Bad?

There is studies...

Looks like the studies were redundant :heart:

My cell phone is still very much just helpful. I'm on call at work, but that's changing soon, and I'd have a pager if I didn't have a cell phone, so it's not any worse. If I don't want to be bothered once I'm no longer on call, I can always turn off my cell phone.

This is a big part of the reason I don't want a Blackberry/Treo/etc. I want my phone to stay simple so it remains just a useful tool and not too much of a lifestyle change.

I dont have a problem not answering my phone. It is ALWAYS on and I ALWAYS have it. Sometimes I just don't answer it though. All my friends know that it went to voicemail because I didn't want to talk to you then. No biggie.

I also have my work numbers in there too and I NEVER answer them. voicemail screening ftw.

Use http://www.youmail.com/ to replace your current cell voice mail system. You can setup individual greeting based on the incoming phone number, get texted exactly what phone number left you voice mail, and lots of cool stuff. Plus it's free.

Use http://www.youmail.com/ to replace your current cell voice mail system. You can setup individual greeting based on the incoming phone number, get texted exactly what phone number left you voice mail, and lots of cool stuff. Plus it's free.

I have that sort of. It's a widget that grabs my voicemails and puts them on my desktop with who called, what area and how long the message is. Just click and listen. :)

Ooooh you're good! Ya so far so good. I don't get too many voicemails. :hs:

I'll have Kimie leave you one in her sexah voice. Then you should listen to it at work with your speakers loud so everyone goes "I didn't know April liked the ladies".

Last edited:
The radiation given off by cell phones (and power lines) isn't the type of radiation that is harmful to our health.
Whee:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet56/oet56e4.pdf

The health effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation are known to cause thermal tissue damage. It isnt disproven they may have other effects. So, it is harmful and no I don't care about dosage because the obvious implication of your post was that it is completely harmless.

Last edited:
Whee:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet56/oet56e4.pdf

The health effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation are known to cause thermal tissue damage. It isnt disproven they may have other effects. So, it is harmful and no I don't care about dosage because the obvious implication of your post was that it is completely harmless.

Are you trying to manipulate the data on the assumption that no one would read that link? Please quote the part that says the RF output of a phone causes tissue damage. From what I read, they're talking about high doses of RF...

why in the HELL would you EVER give your work your cell phone number?

more so, why in the HELL would you EVER answer when your work is calling?

why in the HELL would you EVER give your work your cell phone number?

more so, why in the HELL would you EVER answer when your work is calling?

being on call to the doctors I work for is how I get them to pay for both lines every month :p

Are you trying to manipulate the data on the assumption that no one would read that link? Please quote the part that says the RF output of a phone causes tissue damage. From what I read, they're talking about high doses of RF...
Read it again.

He said the "The radiation given off by cell phones (and power lines) isn't the type of radiation that is harmful to our health."

The 'type' of radiation is referenced in that document. That is 'non-ionizing electromagnetic', e.g. radio waves. It causes thermal tissue damage with absolutely no doubt (how do you think a microwave oven works?) and while there is no conclusive evidence of other types of damage they are not discounted.

He made no mention of dosage or frequency, just 'type'. As I said explicitly; "So, it is harmful and no I don't care about dosage because the obvious implication of your post was that it is completely harmless."

My post had almost nothing to do with cell phones, it was a reply to the other post :p

Read it again.

He said the "The radiation given off by cell phones (and power lines) isn't the type of radiation that is harmful to our health."

The 'type' of radiation is referenced in that document. That is 'non-ionizing electromagnetic', e.g. radio waves. It causes thermal tissue damage with absolutely no doubt (how do you think a microwave oven works?) and while there is no conclusive evidence of other types of damage they are not discounted.

He made no mention of dosage or frequency, just 'type'. As I said explicitly; "So, it is harmful and no I don't care about dosage because the obvious implication of your post was that it is completely harmless."

My post had almost nothing to do with cell phones, it was a reply to the other post :p

Fucking lawyers.

not worth it man, i gave my work cell phone back so i'd be unreachable. :p

eh, it's not a choice for me. my job requires that I be on call because the doctors are on call and if their stuff breaks in the middle of a consult I have to be reachable. the neurologists I work for consult in the ERs and ORs of half a dozen chicago area hospitals. only a couple of them keep laptops or PDAs on them at all times but those that do have had to call me late at night or early in the morning more than a few times. fortunately it's usually just simple problems like renewing an IP address or enabling java for a hospital's imaging software

plus it saves me 80 bucks a month

Read it again.

I'll add something else to consider, and maybe you can find some stats on it.

There has been plenty of shows, or theories on children with leukemia due to living near power lines although it hasn't been proven. Are there similar showings of people with similar problems living near cell towers?