Halp Cell Phones (again)

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,350
So, I've got a shitty HTC Touch Pro. Loved it for all of like a week, now I'm not happy.

Signed a 2 year deal about 8 month back, thought I was stuck with it.

Turns out, since I WAS alltel before Verizon assimilated it borg style, I am now automatically set as a 'renew in 2', which means, I can get a new phone like my plan was set to expire.

And those fuckers, those smart fucking bastards, are pushing me to do it by saying I can get the new HTC Droid Incredible.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=3569&tag=col1;post-1993

And all it's gonna cost me is the price of a new phone. $150 or so. My monthly bill won't change.

Anyone know of the Incredible? Anyone been looking forward to it. Should I hold out for hopes that Verizon will go 4G and I can get an EVO?

What do you think?

Ah, just found out the kicker.

They don't make it obvious.

It adds an additional $40 a month to my bill. THIS is why they want me to upgrade. My Alltel data plan is killing them on price.

Does your Alltel plan include data?

I don't know if the Evo 4G phone will be coming to Verizon any time soon, if that's the phone you were thinking of.

The Incredible is my phone of choice, though, if I was going to switch carriers.

Does your Alltel plan include data?

I don't know if the Evo 4G phone will be coming to Verizon any time soon, if that's the phone you were thinking of.

The Incredible is my phone of choice, though, if I was going to switch carriers.

Yeah, my alltel plan gives me unlimited text, web, data.

So, if I buy a new phone, my new contract will give me the same service I have now, @ $40 more a month.

$480 a year more on top of my current pricing to have a better phone...

Yeah, my alltel plan gives me unlimited text, web, data.

So, if I buy a new phone, my new contract will give me the same service I have now, @ $40 more a month.

$480 a year more on top of my current pricing to have a better phone...

Would you be signing a new 2 year contract in essence then and those $40+ is the price difference of the only available plans to match your current service left?

Would you be signing a new 2 year contract in essence then and those $40+ is the price difference of the only available plans to match your current service left?

exactly.

This is why verizon is giving me the upgrade early, so they can get me on their plan and charge more. I guess the alltel plans they absorbed didn't give them the option to up the pricing, so they are trying to get the Alltel people to upgrade to sexier new phones and using the new 2 year plan agreement we sign to get the extra $40 out of us.

exactly.

This is why verizon is giving me the upgrade early, so they can get me on their plan and charge more. I guess the alltel plans they absorbed didn't give them the option to up the pricing, so they are trying to get the Alltel people to upgrade to sexier new phones and using the new 2 year plan agreement we sign to get the extra $40 out of us.

Well if you have the protection plan, "destroy" your phone and get a replacement. I don't think they offer the Touch Pro I anymore so at least you will be majorly upgraded to the Pro II.

Well if you have the protection plan, "destroy" your phone and get a replacement. I don't think they offer the Touch Pro I anymore so at least you will be majorly upgraded to the Pro II.

I don't. I have yet to lose or break a phone. Ever. Protection plan to me just isn't worth it.

Gonna have to think about this. I'm seriously of the mindset lately that my monthly voice-data-video expenses are way to much. I can afford it, but I could, if I get rid of a lot of the bells and whistles and shit, cut about $200 a month. That money could be of better use elsewhere.

But that would also make me a bad techie.

/sigh

All I know is I had SERO and even though it was Sprint, I should have kept it along. Now this summer when the Evo 4G comes out, I could have keep $30 month 500 anytime (nights start at 7pm) unlim data and text AND unlim 4g.

Instead I break my contract (which Sprint actually should have let me out of for free because they changed their contract) for fucking iPhone and AT&T :mad:

I still don't know how the country that invented the telephone has such shitty coverage/plans/rates/pricing structure over most of the rest of the world.

Yeah. I've really been debating the value of having a smartphone lately.

Well, 2, because I also have a work provided Blackberry Curve.

I think I just answered my question.

Yeah. I've really been debating the value of having a smartphone lately.

Well, 2, because I also have a work provided Blackberry Curve.

I think I just answered my question.

Um yeah. Dummy featureless phone would be best for you

Then go with metro :D

Actually, you might have a point. Or at least pay as you go. Duke if you just have a secondary phone for placing personal calls, just get something quick and dirty for those calls. Get a plan that is like $1 a day unlim calling for when you use it that day. Then those drunken phone calls won't sting so bad in the pocket book :fly:

I still don't know how the country that invented the telephone has such shitty coverage/plans/rates/pricing structure over most of the rest of the world.

Uhhh, because we're 10x the size of any other country. Its easy to be bleeding edge when your country is the size of a postage stamp.

Uhhh, because we're 10x the size of any other country. Its easy to be bleeding edge when your country is the size of a postage stamp.

Hmm maybe that's true. I know Canada's plans and coverage are quite shit.

But if you can't place a call in NY on AT&T towers, that's pretty shitty.