Careers and degree plans

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
How many of you are doing something close to what you went to school for? Do you enjoy it? Have you ever thought about doing something else? Are you currently pursuing something else? Do you ever wake up and stare at the ceiling and laugh at how little motivation you have?

I totally lack motivation and thank my lucky stars that Im not flipping burgers somewhere. I highly enjoy my job and only wish I made more money doing it.

I've done a little of everything, though I dont do anything, and I'm told I'm smart but I also like actually doing things (trades). o_O

Is like job ADD.

You go to school with a degree plan, yet the average person changes careers several times in their life.

What do you expect of me?

I'm not done with school yet (kinda got started late lol) .. but I'm not doing anything close to what I am going to school for. I can't wait til I graduate either. I hate this job. Only reason I stay is because I can talk online (usually) when I want to, and I get 3 weeks of vacation cas I've been here 5 years :lol:.

If it wasn't for that, I'd quit.

Never went to college, but i enjoy what i do alot. I don't think i'd be much better off if i went to college, infact i might be worse off due to less experience in the industry.

Software consultant. granted no-one knows WHAT the hell i do :D not even me!!

I'm not done with school yet (kinda got started late lol) .. but I'm not doing anything close to what I am going to school for. I can't wait til I graduate either. I hate this job. Only reason I stay is because I can talk online (usually) when I want to, and I get 3 weeks of vacation cas I've been here 5 years :lol:.

If it wasn't for that, I'd quit.

Why the hell do you say 'cas' all the time?

Starting this quarter I've done some waking up and staring at the ceiling for a while. I guess you just can't get through college in 3 years without having some classes you're not really interested in. Stats contains some actual education, it just goes soooo slooooowly. Vision and Cognitive Development are both halfass courses that I don't think should be given psych credit, but they are and they're the only psych credit I can pick up this quarter. Calculus and Sociology are both just completely tangent to my education and (something I keep seperate) coursework, but I like their times of day and I don't expect real trouble in either. Calc also has the advantage of being interesting to me.

I don't regret signing up for the classes I did given the circumstances, but I do wish the situation would let me take other classes.

I enjoy what I do and also never studied it...self taught
as far as motivation to better myself, there is no way I'm leaving this company unless it's being dragged kicking and screaming out the door so I'm just waiting for my shot at management for the time being which might be coming along shortly

I went to school for photography, didn't graduate, but took lots and lots of art classes, it was great. At some point I want to build my photo business up (not full time though, just 6-8 weddings a year and photo shoots in betwee), I'm not going to seriously pursue it till I have the whole kids thing under control though, so we'll see what evolves over the next few years.

Software/Database Developer and Consultant. Public Sector by day, Private Sector nights and weekends. Degree was BS in Management Info Systems, Minor in Comp Science so the job is right in line with my plans. The only change I see in the near future is possibly changing industries (from public higher education to private sector).

But before Graduating I was a lot like FG, not as many jobs but i was pretty sporadic. I was a stocker for Office Depot, I drive a forklift for Sam's Club night shift, I was a telephone lineman, and I ran the short order grill in a corporate cafeteria. All that between ages 18 and 22. I've been doing IT for the last 4 years, I like it a lot better ;)

Last edited:
Well, the BS is in Elementary Education with a minor in English. I taught second grade for 4 years. During that time I decided that I loathed teaching and got an MS in Instructional Technology. The Instructional Technology degree has lots of uses in many fields. The field I'm in is called Instructional Design. Basically I take content that is taught in a face-to-face classroom setting and design it for web-based training. The company that I work for creates serious games for the military. None of that boring page turning academic crap!

I often think about going back to school for my PhD but I'm not sure what good it would do me or what field I would want to study.