Car help

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I have a Honda Fit and it is a terrible car indeed. I can post my rant if you are interested.

I am going to continue to drive it until it is paid off (in a year or so) or until I drive it into the ground (that this rate, should be happening fairly quickly).

Since on my big purchases, I usually do research for about a year or two, what kind of car should I be looking at now?

I have learned my lesson the hard way and will never get a car in the initial production run. My requirements are that it gets decent mileage (over 25mpg), power door locks and windows, AUX port on the audio, small enough to be easy to park and maneuver but large enough to hold some people and/or cargo. I am also looking to spend less than $25K as far down as I can.

The models that sparked my interest are the Kia Forte (SX model for some spunky fun and more equipment), ford Focus (I can get an S plan through work), Ford Fiesta in 2011 as a 2012 model year to get over the first year hump, Subaru forester 2.5X Premium (for roof rack and sun roof as luxury) (maybe the diesel that's coming), ford Escape, VW Golf TDI (possibly splurging for the DSG), Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatch.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Oh, I was also looking at the Chevy Equinox. Just wanted to throw that in there.

Buy a car that is 1-2 years old. Let the first sucker take the initial loss of buying new. It'll effectively widen your budget too.

So I have a Honda Fit and it is a terrible car indeed. I can post my rant if you are interested.

I am going to continue to drive it until it is paid off (in a year or so) or until I drive it into the ground (that this rate, should be happening fairly quickly).

Since on my big purchases, I usually do research for about a year or two, what kind of car should I be looking at now?

I have learned my lesson the hard way and will never get a car in the initial production run. My requirements are that it gets decent mileage (over 25mpg), power door locks and windows, AUX port on the audio, small enough to be easy to park and maneuver but large enough to hold some people and/or cargo. I am also looking to spend less than $25K as far down as I can.

The models that sparked my interest are the Kia Forte (SX model for some spunky fun and more equipment), ford Focus (I can get an S plan through work), Ford Fiesta in 2011 as a 2012 model year to get over the first year hump, Subaru forester 2.5X Premium (for roof rack and sun roof as luxury) (maybe the diesel that's coming), ford Escape, VW Golf TDI (possibly splurging for the DSG), Hyundai Elantra Touring Hatch.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

I have had a 2006 Mazda 3i since April of 2007. It's been a fantastic car. It has all the features available that you describe above and we've never had to put any money in the car besides maintenance, haven't had to call in a single warranty repair. It's not a hybrid but it is rated to get 35mpg on the highway and from my calculations, it does get close to that. I'm 6'4" and I fit in it just fine, as does my wife who is 5'5". It handles great, even better since I put some Yokohama tires on it.

The newer models seem to continue to get good reviews, I think the base models price near to 15k new and www.gaywheels.com rated them gay friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

I heard great things about the Forrester. And the Golf TDI would also be a good choice.

Hyundai seems to now making great cars also, and their warranty seems really good. Have you looked into the Hyundai Genesis? It's around 24K-26K

Buy a car that is 1-2 years old. Let the first sucker take the initial loss of buying new. It'll effectively widen your budget too.

That doesn't exist for a Toyota or Honda, especially if you are going for an SUV or minivan.

That doesn't exist for a Toyota or Honda, especially if you are going for an SUV or minivan.

I don't know how it is in your area, but it works that way here. Toyota and Honda make up 60-70% of the cars on the road.

I have had a 2006 Mazda 3i since April of 2007. It's been a fantastic car. It has all the features available that you describe above and we've never had to put any money in the car besides maintenance, haven't had to call in a single warranty repair. It's not a hybrid but it is rated to get 35mpg on the highway and from my calculations, it does get close to that. I'm 6'4" and I fit in it just fine, as does my wife who is 5'5". It handles great, even better since I put some Yokohama tires on it.

The newer models seem to continue to get good reviews, I think the base models price near to 15k new and www.gaywheels.com rated them gay friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

I rented a 2008 or 2009 Mazda 3 hatch. I would get the 5 door over the 4 door sheerly because you can actually use the trunk. I don't like the sedan because the trunk opening is too small to get anything in. It's big once inside, though. And the back seats are surprisingly small for how "large" the car is. The rear bumper is quite long so you really have to bend over to get packages in the hatch and to retrieve them (maybe that's why gaywheels rated them so highly). The ride is nice and the handling is frisky, but a rental with 18K miles shouldn't have nearly as many squeaks and rattles and a rough idle as this does. And insurance is higher than comparable Honda Civic for instance, and replacement parts are more expensive (not as high as VW mind you, but then again the first 3 years is free maintenance). Like my Protege was, it feels like when it left the showroom, it was solid as a rock, but as you use it, it just gets loose and feels like a Ford after just a year. I always got the impression in my Protege and in the Mazda 3 that given the right environment, the car would genuinely last forever. But it isn't that forgiving if you are not in a picture perfect world.

And my tank averaged 22 mpg when I filled up Monday. And the transmission, although silky smooth 5 speed auto when left in D, the manumatic functions are dog slow. I mean real slow. You can bump the lever to drop a gear and have to time to change a radio station, look at your watch, and turn a corner before the gear will actually slot in.

I heard great things about the Forrester. And the Golf TDI would also be a good choice.

Hyundai seems to now making great cars also, and their warranty seems really good. Have you looked into the Hyundai Genesis? It's around 24K-26K

The coupe? Yes I have, but that is a bit more serious than I need. There is painfully little cargo/passenger space, the visibility is not that great, the ride doesn't make my 10 mile commute any cushier, in V6 form the gas mileage isn't that great (I would get the Evo-engine I-4 anyway) and the insurance would be through the roof.

But I did look at it, yes.