Food Canning

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,516
So, I just received my Victorio strainer & motor,

VKP250%20Motor%202.jpg

& the accessory kit.

LhEiVdl.jpg

over the weekend I'm going to try to can tomatos, and then apples.

I tried to make apple jelly w/apple juice a couple nights ago, but apparently went WAY past the 'gelling' point. I poured the dark 'jelly' into a jar for canning & it cooled to thicker than molasses. Gonna have to redo that effort.

Does anyone here can?

I preserve in jars. I have no idea why preserving in jars is called 'canning' on your side of the pond. For ages I thought you all had industrial grade can sealing machines or something. Why isn't it 'jarring'.

fuck yes. Squeezo-strainers are like magic.

I still like the old metal ones, but theyre seriously magic. Both apples and tomatoes will work wonderfully. Homemade applesauce is like nothing else.

I preserve in jars. I have no idea why preserving in jars is called 'canning' on your side of the pond. For ages I thought you all had industrial grade can sealing machines or something. Why isn't it 'jarring'.

per google:
[h=2]Search Results[/h]jar·ring
ˈjäriNG/
adjective
adjective: jarring

incongruous in a striking or shocking way; clashing.
    "the telephone struck a jarring note in those Renaissance surroundings"

causing a physical shock, jolt, or vibration.
    "the truck came to a jarring halt"

For what it's worth, I find it jarring.

What pectin did you use? I made blackberry jelly with some sure-jell and they all set beautifully.

Bring the juice mix to a boil, add pectin, boil for 60-90 secs and remove heat. Pour into hot jars, seal, and invert to cool.

the ball recipe doesn't call for any. says to watch for the 'gel point.' & give a few pics of what happens at the gel point. NONE of that shit happened with mine. Apparently w/apples there's 'enough' natural pectin to make it happen on it's own.

My daughter did strawberry preserves this spring w/o any pectin. it was amazing.

"it did fuck me on the apple jelly"

And there Ladies and Gentlemen, you have the second single from the album 728 Bakers Dozens of Eggs by The Goatf*ckers