Thread Canada thrEHd!!

She could move to Austin, TX. We got lots of liberals, lots of gays, and lots of tech industry. Has to be a gamer studio here somewhere.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
i assume they have these alllll over no ?

Sent from my Tapacaca bitchezzz

Apparently not according to @Dory ?

I would've thought it'd be more widespread or something you could do at least parts of remotely, like writing code or whatever.

Caveat: I don't know much about videogames.

She could move to Austin, TX. We got lots of liberals, lots of gays, and lots of tech industry. Has to be a gamer studio here somewhere.
i assume they have these alllll over no ?

Sent from my Tapacaca bitchezzz
Apparently not according to @Dory ?

I would've thought it'd be more widespread or something you could do at least parts of remotely, like writing code or whatever.

Caveat: I don't know much about videogames.

In reply to all the above no they're not everywhere so our choices are limited by his industry as his skills aren't transferable to other tech industries. Austin is our number 1 US city on the list for all the reasons mentioned but considering our impetus to leave is due to right wing politics if we moved to the US that would only be temporary until we moved to a kind of society we were truly happy in.

Also you cant seem to remote work in games industry, teams have to collaborate so much face to face nobody works from home ever.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
In reply to all the above no they're not everywhere so our choices are limited by his industry as his skills aren't transferable to other tech industries. Austin is our number 1 US city on the list for all the reasons mentioned but considering our impetus to leave is due to right wing politics if we moved to the US that would only be temporary until we moved to a kind of society we were truly happy in.

Also you cant seem to remote work in games industry, teams have to collaborate so much face to face nobody works from home ever.

Did not know that about the gaming.

TX is already turning purple, maybe you could be the one to tip the scales. ;)

Although compared to the UK what we'd call left you'd probably still call right.

Houston is also a very cosmopolitan, international city, on par with NY, LA, Chicago, etc. Lot of people don't realize that.

Houston is also a very cosmopolitan, international city, on par with NY, LA, Chicago, etc. Lot of people don't realize that.
Yeah been to Houston a bunch, no games industry and bleh. NY not much of an industry and I don't like it much in general after many trips. LA is too expensive for me and Chicago is too windy and the people are angry.

• Gravy
Champagne IL has a a bit of an industry but seems boring. The Carolinas have a vaguely busy industry for Joe and I like them but they're a bit too right wing but cost of living would be good there.

Austin or Seattle would be our only viable US places really and with the proximity to NOLA and all Austin has going for it, that would trump seattle anytime.

• Gravy
Yeah been to Houston a bunch, no games industry and bleh. NY not much of an industry and I don't like it much in general after many trips. LA is too expensive for me and Chicago is too windy and the people are angry.

We're trying to be as expensive as we can just give us a chance.

People here are not generally angry though, pretty courteous. I think I'm spoiled by it. Folks of all types seem to get along pretty well. That's not to say there aren't problems but all you have to do is go to other places in the US and you appreciate coming back here.

Champagne IL has a a bit of an industry but seems boring. The Carolinas have a vaguely busy industry for Joe and I like them but they're a bit too right wing but cost of living would be good there.

Austin or Seattle would be our only viable US places really and with the proximity to NOLA and all Austin has going for it, that would trump seattle anytime.

I know nothing of Champagne. Asheville, NC is supposed to be like the Austin of the Carolinas. A liberal, gay-friendly, artsy blueberry in a sea of tomato soup.

I know nothing of Champagne. Asheville, NC is supposed to be like the Austin of the Carolinas. A liberal, gay-friendly, artsy blueberry in a sea of tomato soup.
Interesting. I did like my limited time I'm NC. We have friends in TX and having some way in to a social circle would be helpful, for me at least, I've never left my city in my life or moved so that will be huge and making friendships will be important for me.

• Gravy
Interesting. I did like my limited time I'm NC. We have friends in TX and having some way in to a social circle would be helpful, for me at least, I've never left my city in my life or moved so that will be huge and making friendships will be important for me.

I came here sight unseen on the advice of others (who didn't/don't live here but had been here). Didnt know anybody here. An army buddy from home (Minnesota) did come with me then went back after a 2-3 weeks, no more than a month. That was in 1995. I'm still here. Don't regret it.

I complain about how much it's grown and changed and got more expensive and I don't like it anymore and fuck this town etc., etc. and that all has some kernel of truth in it but to be honest it's still a great place to live.

Like I said before all you have to do is go somewhere else to appreciate how things are here. We take all kinds. Can't say that about everywhere else.

I will say one thing you might be used to that you will not find here is good public transit.
This place was never designed with something like that in mind and it's grown so much in such a short time even the best city planner with the best of intentions couldn't hope to keep up.
Same with road development/expansion.

Unless you want to live like a college kid or limit where you can live and work to a major bus route or the one train line you need a car. One to share between the two of you at minimum. One for each if you want real freedom of movement.