Can I interest you in an Influx?

Oh, look who knows so much.

ESX 3.5i is now free, and an excellent small scale solution. There's no reason to not switch to it if you're currently running a small GSX setup.

edit: also, I have to say that while the ESX core product is super useful and rock solid, there is a very real lack of polish on many of the other tools including virtual center--- or more particularly, the license manager component of virtual center.

Very small scale. Otherwise, its a PITA to manage. And whats the prob with license manager (other than that bug a couple months ago that could have brought down your environment or something)? :D

While I didn't read the whole article, talk about comparing apples and oranges...

http://www.crn.com/software/211800390
I'm not sure why you think that. I'll agree that one thing the article misses is that most people buy computers pre-built and don't get the option to not have Vista pre-installed, so the whole "makes more sense than buying Vista" arguement goes straight out the window. It also seems weird that he had such a boner over the wireless support when testing a desktop. Maybe people use wireless on the desktop more than I realize.

I'm not sure why you think that. I'll agree that one thing the article misses is that most people buy computers pre-built and don't get the option to not have Vista pre-installed, so the whole "makes more sense than buying Vista" arguement goes straight out the window. It also seems weird that he had such a boner over the wireless support when testing a desktop. Maybe people use wireless on the desktop more than I realize.

the flexibility for placement in older houses, which comprise the vast majority of the US, makes wireless desktop a very appealing solution. I've been setting people up like that for something in the range of 9 years because the convenience is a no-brainer. why wire an older house at this point?

the flexibility for placement in older houses, which comprise the vast majority of the US, makes wireless desktop a very appealing solution. I've been setting people up like that for something in the range of 9 years because the convenience is a no-brainer. why wire an older house at this point?

seems to be like the cable guy or dsl guy will stub a jack in from outside into whatever room your desktop is in, which is where you're likely to have the router/modem anyways.

i guess if there's multiple desktops in a home nowadays it makes sense, but honestly, i think most people go with laptops as a solution for secondary or kids computers.

i can see the arguement for wireless on desktops, i just don't think it's an extremely common occurance.

seems to be like the cable guy or dsl guy will stub a jack in from outside into whatever room your desktop is in, which is where you're likely to have the router/modem anyways.

i guess if there's multiple desktops in a home nowadays it makes sense, but honestly, i think most people go with laptops as a solution for secondary or kids computers.

i can see the arguement for wireless on desktops, i just don't think it's an extremely common occurance.

multiple kids and 1 drop + parents who can't afford a laptop for everyone or don't care to spend it

multiple kids and 1 drop + parents who can't afford a laptop for everyone or don't care to spend it

Wireless running to a custom built desktop that is your home media center is almost a requirement. Who wants to run ethernet to their entertainment center?