Thread Can anyone think of a good reason for me to buy one of these servers?

If it doesn't fit a specific need, don't get. :)

What about those house projects of yours, wouldn't that money be better served there?

I can't either. But its so cheap.

Just because it's cheap, or on sale, or AN EPIC DEAL OMG, doesn't justify the purchase.

Are you lacking something emotionally right now? Why do you want the endorphin high of making a purchase?

Last edited:
Probably oversold nodes. Like way oversold. I've finally realized you gotta pay a few bucks to get a decent VPS that's not on an oversold node, and from a company who cares about uptime & reliability.
A few bucks meaning probably $10 for a basic VPS and up from there.

edit: I wouldn't run anything mission critical on it. And expect it go down a lot. I haven't done my research on ChicagoVPS via Webhostingtalk forums. I usually look on those forums for feedback, reviews, and what not. Obviously taking all of that with a grain of salt since some of the reviews are shills and others just idiot customers.

Last edited:
If I had more time and some money to invest, I'd like to get into the VPS and dedicated server market. Do it right, get colo space somewhere, purchase servers, etc.

Probably oversold nodes. Like way oversold. I've finally realized you gotta pay a few bucks to get a decent VPS that's not on an oversold node, and from a company who cares about uptime & reliability.
A few bucks meaning probably $10 for a basic VPS and up from there.

edit: I wouldn't run anything mission critical on it. And expect it go down a lot. I haven't done my research on ChicagoVPS via Webhostingtalk forums. I usually look on those forums for feedback, reviews, and what not. Obviously taking all of that with a grain of salt since some of the reviews are shills and others just idiot customers.

Apparently ChicagoVPS is banned from WHT, but still...

And btw, Amazon just lowered their pricing yet again on EC2 servers. Sadly, I'm still locked in at the old, higher rate.

I've been kicking around getting a server for my business website. I already maintain Linux web/mail servers so this might be a decent deal. And if it sucks I'll just keep it to screw with.

/takingtheplunge

+1

I haven't done much but the few things I've done have been snappy as well. I'm hoping I'll have time this weekend to finish my web server setup so I can point my domain to the thing and actually use it.

For the cost I won't lose any sleep if it sits idle for a few days.