WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

I'm abandoning all acorn squash & sweet potato soup for this camping weekend. temps 75-85 all weekend. It was award winning last year, but no repeat. Fingers crossed for mac n cheese.
mac n cheese was a hit. Left the 14" dutch oven over the campfire, put a canning rack in the bottom of the oven this held the premade mac-n-chz. I added the topping before it went in the hot dutch oven, & bam. 30 minutes later, it was warmed & the top crunchy!
ALSO!
We did brownies. can't remember what brand, but a major label. Did the mix in a bowl, poured it into one of those metal 9" tins. Dug a
a little wider and deeper than the dutch oven, like this put no more than 2" of coals from the fire in the bottom of the hole, dutch oven with the tin of brownie mix in it, covered, on top. then topped it with a couple inches of coals. nothing around the edges but the air space. Brownie directions were 31 minutes in a preheated oven. In 45 minutes, BAM. Perfect brownies and no cleanup.
lastly, since the forecast was to be fucking cold, -I set up the tent between sleet/snow falling-, I was ready with more acorn sweet potato soup. Barn owners wife is telling me that her daughter asked her mother if she could ask me to bring it. :lol: Her mom said 'no, he's already bringing other stuff this year.' so she was tickled when she got there and I had it. Also, there were some newbies asking "acorn what? garam what? uhh, only half a cup just to taste." All came back around for more to finish it off. major kudos to @APRIL.
Amstel mods to https://pintsandpots.com/project/acorn-squash-and-sweet-potato-soup/]april's recipe
ingredient changes: chx broth instead of vegetable broth & added 1/2 tsp of Indian Chili Powder.
#2 Remove the skin: eh. . . instead, Scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon like you would ice-cream.
#3: you forget to add the ginger in! Also, add 1/tsp of Indian Chili Powder (it is not the same as Mexican chili powder!)
Your olive oil / coconut milk serving suggestion doesn't play well at a camp site so I just added it after it was heated in the pot.
We ate it out of insulated coffee cups!

Last edited:
mac n cheese was a hit. Left the 14" dutch oven over the campfire, put a canning rack in the bottom of the oven, and then [url=https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91SkEe8VzGL._SL1500_.jpg]this held the premade mac-n-chz. I added the topping before it went in the hot dutch oven, & bam. 30 minutes later, it was warmed & the top crunchy!
ALSO!
We did brownies. can't remember what brand, but a major label. Did the mix in a bowl, poured it into one of those metal 9" tins. Dug a
a little wider and deeper than the dutch oven, like this put no more than 2" of coals from the fire in the bottom of the hole, dutch oven with the tin of brownie mix in it, covered, on top. then topped it with a couple inches of coals. nothing around the edges but the air space. Brownie directions were 31 minutes in a preheated oven. In 45 minutes, BAM. Perfect brownies and no cleanup.
lastly, since it was cold this past weekend was to be fucking cold, I set up the tent between sleet/snow falling, I was ready with more acorn sweet potato soup. Barn owners wife is telling me that her daughter asked her mother if she could ask me to bring it. :lol: Her mom said 'no, he's already bringing other stuff this year.' so she was tickled when she got there and I had it. Also, there were some newbies asking "acorn what? garam what? uhh, only half a cup just to taste." All came back around for more to finish it off. major kudos to @APRIL.
Amstel mods to https://pintsandpots.com/project/acorn-squash-and-sweet-potato-soup/]april's recipe
ingredient changes: chx broth instead of vegetable broth & added 1/2 tsp of Indian Chili Powder.
#2 Remove the skin: eh. . . instead, Scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon like you would ice-cream.
#3: you forget to add the ginger in! Also, add 1/tsp of Indian Chili Powder (it is not the same as Mexican chili powder!)
Your olive oil / coconut milk serving suggestion doesn't play well at a camp site so I just added it after it was heated in the pot.
We ate it out of insulated coffee cups!
[/URL]

Everyone should want to camp with you!

$75 + tax. with 1 year guaranty.

if you use 25% OFF YOUR ORDER
Online & In Stores | Ends Tuesday, November 13 | Promo Code: FALL25 Details

Usually $85 on amazon.

Camp Chef Everest Two-Burner Camp Stove
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119603?

or www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119603?

better than the low end coleman that you can ususally find for $50
1) Everest =20,000 btus per burner, coleman = 10,000btus
2) at lower heat in addition to high heat the burners don't sound like jet engines killing conversation nearby, (the Everest is near silent at lower 'cooking' temp flame size).
3) MOST importantly, the adjust valve for the flame size smoothly adjusts the flame from low to hi for the everest and on the coleman, the flame goes from tiny to full on max with barely a nudge.
4) convenient but not a game changer for me, to light the burners, the Everest has a push button ignite and the coleman is BYOS = bring your own spark!

Usually $85 on amazon.

2) at lower heat in addition to high heat the burners don't sound like jet engines killing conversation nearby, (the Everest is near silent at lower 'cooking' temp flame size).
3) MOST importantly, the adjust valve for the flame size smoothly adjusts the flame from low to hi for the everest and on the coleman, the flame goes from tiny to full on max with barely a nudge.
4) convenient but not a game changer for me, to light the burners, the Everest has a push button ignite and the coleman is BYOS = bring your own spark!

A smooth burner adjustment could prove to be pretty nice.

The only thing my old Coleman has that I think might be better than that one is bigger wind guards on the sides. They start almost at the top of the lid and angle down all the way to the front.

dscn13372-1600x1200.jpg

A smooth burner adjustment could prove to be pretty nice.

The only thing my old Coleman has that I think might be better than that one is bigger wind guards on the sides. They start almost at the top of the lid and angle down all the way to the front.

View attachment 5319
I love those things. My late brother left me THREE, a 2 burner and (2) four burners. I just know he spent countless hours tinkering with them - fecker even left me 2 gallons of Coleman gas. Thanks JOe-bama!

Usually $85 on amazon.

And when you have no propane, you are just fucked. In a case of an emergency, you can burn anything from 90% rubbing alcohol to gasoline or even kerosene in the Colemans. I agree with Hips - better side shields are needed and you can get the propane burner for a Coleman. Correction: ok, you'll have $30-40 more into the deal if you want both burner types for a Coleman.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and nukes
I love those things. My late brother left me THREE, a 2 burner and (2) four burners. I just know he spent countless hours tinkering with them - fecker even left me 2 gallons of Coleman gas. Thanks JOe-bama!

I have an old 2-burner like that runs on almost anything I keep as sort of an emergency kit.

Got a newer 2-burner that just runs propane that gets used more. Thinner, lighter, more convenient but I also have a lot of portable propane.
Both little bottles and fitting to hook it up to 20lb. tanks.
Could cook for a long time with no utilities before I even get into the woodpile.

Now if society would just hurry up and collapse so I can sit here fat and happy with all this crap while everyone else runs out of stuff and flees the area.

And when you have no propane, you are just fucked.
Well yeah. In my case, I've got 4 propane cylinders (like you use for your propane grill in the backyard, not the small ones that screw directly on it like in the campchef grill pics), and a propane hose $11 now, usually a $5 add-on item, that attaches it to the grill. It buys me more time through the apocalypse!

In a case of an emergency, you can burn anything from 90% rubbing alcohol to gasoline or even kerosene in the Colemans. I agree with Hips - better side shields are needed and you can get the propane burner for a Coleman. Correction: ok, you'll have $30-40 more into the deal if you want both burner types for a Coleman.
meh. see:

And when you have no propanealcohol anything, you are just fucked.

When that happens, I've got wood as a backup! And the stove becomes some kind of weapon. :lol:

My only real 'concern' is that the latch that holds the lid closed has just recently been changed to plastic. :/ I'm not too worried about it, there's easy hacks when/if it breaks, but the metal latch from a couple yrs ago looks like it would hold forever.