WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

Last edited:
A friend of mine just bought a used pickup truck, diesel, duelie, and a slip-in camper top thingy (whatever they're called). I visited him this past weekend and got to check it out. Surprisingly large amount of room inside, except for the bathroom (toiler and shower) being cramped. Everything else one needs is there. Has 200w solar panels on the roof. He said he's charged the batteries (i.e. plugged it in at home) only once since he bought it two months ago. Did a 5 day camping trip and didn't plug it in at all. Has propane for hot water, heat, stove, and refrigerator. Pretty darn nice setup. It's super top heavy but the truck seemed to handle it okay, according to what my friend said. I've been toying around with getting a cheap popup camper trailer. That'll easily store in my barn, and can be pulled behind my van.
Easy solution to the cramped crapper, the bumper dumper.

91WOMUDsaDL._SL1500_.jpg

So @Mustard Dispenser is right. I really like the idea of an RV or trailer.

I wonder if we would "camp" more if we had one. Apparently our Outback can tow a tiny one...
Look up the towing capacity (and also the maximum tongue weight) of your Outback, then hit up a RV shop and see what they've got that meets the specs.

Pop-up campers are a pain in the dick as far as maintenance goes, you gotta close them up 100% dry or they can get moldy, and over time the canvas will tear and crack and will need to get patched/replaced/whatever. Friends of ours own one and they just replaced their canvas, after watching everything they went through with that we just decided to buy a box camper instead. But temperatures are higher and humidity probably isn't as big a deal down your way, so you'll probably be OK.

Ours came with a toilet and shower and stuff, but weirdly it was one of the cheapest box campers on the lot, the 'pod' campers and other ultralight stuff costs a lot more.

I looked at a few used campers before buying a new one, except nobody seems to know how to take care of their shit, and a camper that's left abandoned in someone's back yard for 4-5 years gets pretty fucking nasty, and figured getting a brand new one was a lot, uh, safer.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Look up the towing capacity (and also the maximum tongue weight) of your Outback, then hit up a RV shop and see what they've got that meets the specs.

Pop-up campers are a pain in the dick as far as maintenance goes, you gotta close them up 100% dry or they can get moldy, and over time the canvas will tear and crack and will need to get patched/replaced/whatever. Friends of ours own one and they just replaced their canvas, after watching everything they went through with that we just decided to buy a box camper instead. But temperatures are higher and humidity probably isn't as big a deal down your way, so you'll probably be OK.

Ours came with a toilet and shower and stuff, but weirdly it was one of the cheapest box campers on the lot, the 'pod' campers and other ultralight stuff costs a lot more.

I looked at a few used campers before buying a new one, except nobody seems to know how to take care of their shit, and a camper that's left abandoned in someone's back yard for 4-5 years gets pretty fucking nasty, and figured getting a brand new one was a lot, uh, safer.
did you just say that humidity wasnt a big deal in the swamp of the nation, Florida?

The literal swamp, not the human swamp i live in

I think the newer ones use a little better synthetics for the "canvas" as far as drying faster, resisting mold, etc.
Advantage is a little lighter weight and collapsible makes towing and storage easy, especially with smaller vehicles.

Best thing you can do for any RV is use it.
At least open it up and air it out for a day once in awhile if you haven't used it for a while. Sitting and doing nothing kind of ages them more than getting used.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I was forced to pack my pop-up down when it was raining once
then it had to sit for several days before I could dry it out, cuz it was still fuckin raining
when I finally re-opened it, it wasnt molding or anything, just had that "old water" musty smell on it, which being open in the sun for a few days seemed to eliminate

Humidity is the worst in Tampa. :(

Which model camper do you have? Any brands better than others that you recommend?

My sister pulled a pop up camper all around North America with a Toyota Camry for years. It finally wore out with less than 150K miles and stranded her in California, where I had to find her a used Highlander online to go buy.

Anything is possible, it just depends on for how long.