WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

@APRIL and I did a 7.5 mile hike yesterday and now I'm sore. :(

The good news is that our county is doing a hiking spree challenge, and we've so far knocked out 6 of the 8 needed to complete the challenge. :happy:

Have you ever done meetup.com in your area for "hiking" to see what else is available? Here there's 4-5 local groups that go out regularly. Pretty normal groups. Generally other like-minded people. Everything from a 4 mile walk in various local forest preserves, to more challenging "trail" type stuff.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Have you ever done meetup.com in your area for "hiking" to see what else is available? Here there's 4-5 local groups that go out regularly. Pretty normal groups. Generally other like-minded people. Everything from a 4 mile walk in various local forest preserves, to more challenging "trail" type stuff.
There's nothing challenging in Florida.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
There's nothing challenging in Florida.
Have you been to Alafia State Park? It is way more bike friendly, but there are hiking trails, too. We have ridden there, it is cool trails carved from the old phosphate mine. Some are very challenging!

I wasn't sure were to put this one.
So the glaciers on Mount Everest are melting and exposing the bodies of long dead moutaineers.

And I read once some bodies that were already exposed are used as landmarks.
Like Green Boots, I think it was? A dead guy with green boots facing toward a route up. I guess a lot of folks requested to be left on the mountain should they die there.
And it can be too dangerous and expensive to bring them down anyway.
Meh. I'll stick to sea level.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/human-interest/dead-bodies-mount-everest-glaciers-melt/amp/

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I wasn't sure were to put this one.
So the glaciers on Mount Everest are melting and exposing the bodies of long dead moutaineers.

And I read once some bodies that were already exposed are used as landmarks.
Like Green Boots, I think it was? A dead guy with green boots facing toward a route up. I guess a lot of folks requested to be left on the mountain should they die there.
And it can be too dangerous and expensive to bring them down anyway.
Meh. I'll stick to sea level.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/human-interest/dead-bodies-mount-everest-glaciers-melt/amp/

I've heard this before as well that there's a lot of bodies left along the way and at least some of them wanted to be.

I've heard this before as well that there's a lot of bodies left along the way and at least some of them wanted to be.

I heard one story of a guy who became exhausted and couldn't go up any further and couldn't go back down and basically just sat there and died while people headed in both directions just went by him.
That's a risk you take I guess.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I heard one story of a guy who became exhausted and couldn't go up any further and couldn't go back down and basically just sat there and died while people headed in both directions just went by him.
That's a risk you take I guess.

Man vs. Nature.
Man might win some battles but Nature wins the war.

I could go on about how that relationship should play out but that's another subject for another time.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
I'm not sure any of them wanted to be. There's really no choice. And due to the low oxygen and temperature, they keep pretty well up there.

That mountain is fascinating to me. I bet I've read 5-10 different books on it and seen just about every TV show about it. I actually had a friend who took the trek to Base Camp. Sadly, he said that the place is a shithole, but there have been cleanup initiatives since then.

I'm not sure any of them wanted to be. There's really no choice. And due to the low oxygen and temperature, they keep pretty well up there.

That mountain is fascinating to me. I bet I've read 5-10 different books on it and seen just about every TV show about it. I actually had a friend who took the trek to Base Camp. Sadly, he said that the place is a shithole, but there have been cleanup initiatives since then.

I find it very interesting too. The entire history not just the tragedies.
I'd love to go but my lungs are far too thin for that kind of altitude.