Camera question - Lenses

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
April/Kiwi and any other useless photographers, I have a camera lens question.

Ok, so the wife has April's old Nikon D-50 w/ the zoom lens which works nicely as a jack of all trades kinda lens.

In general outside of vacation photos, my wife takes two main types of photos, party pics of the kids and family and pics of the kid or kids playing. In your opinions what would work out best for these applications, a fixed 50mm or something along the lines of 18mm-50mm?

Opinions please.

I'll also be buying her a dedicated flash, that doesn't seem as 'tricky" to pick out.

MonkeyGun.jpg

For Nikon VR is the vibration reduction feature not all lenses have, but is a nice feature so the tripod can be used a bit less. Just FYI.

I've had my eyes on a wide angle lens for a while now. If she wants to get creative that may be a fun one to have.

So are there going to be lots of indoor pics? I absolutely LOVE my 50mm 1.8, but it would be nice to be a little wider for indoor pics. Maybe a 35mm 1.8, the 1.8 is awesome cause you can take pics indoors without a flash most of the time (I very rarely ever use a flash).

Also, budget? That makes a huge difference.

So are there going to be lots of indoor pics? I absolutely LOVE my 50mm 1.8, but it would be nice to be a little wider for indoor pics. Maybe a 35mm 1.8, the 1.8 is awesome cause you can take pics indoors without a flash most of the time (I very rarely ever use a flash).

Also, budget? That makes a huge difference.

indoor vs outdoo - hard to say, lets split the difference and say 50/50.

budget - $300 or less. I have to be frugal, I work for a newspaper.

For Nikon VR is the vibration reduction feature not all lenses have, but is a nice feature so the tripod can be used a bit less. Just FYI.

I've had my eyes on a wide angle lens for a while now. If she wants to get creative that may be a fun one to have.

You know my wife, she is not creative when it comes to photos. She's very utilitarian when it comes to photos, they are memories, not art.

SB-400 maybe or don't be cheap and spring for the 600? Remember I work for a newspaper.

Hmm I have never used the 400, but it may be fine for normal use. I have the 600 which is about $150 and I love it. So much so I may need to go rub one out.

Another idea is lens rentals. Have her rent a few to test drive what she likes then agree to get her one on v-day. :p

Can I slightly threadjack?

Do the photobugs flooding this thread : what's the best point-and-shoot camera out there that'll fit in a pocket?

Can I slightly threadjack?

Do the photobugs flooding this thread : what's the best point-and-shoot camera out there that'll fit in a pocket?

Really, you can't go wrong with the best canon/nikon you can find for your money. They really are quite similar that I highly doubt anyone specific model is going to be that much different over the others.

What is the range of the other lense she has lemon? For indoor pics, the 35mm 2.0 (not 1.8 I was wrong) is 299.99 at BH and would be awesome. For outdoor, it's nice to have a zoom cause there is usually much more back and forth on the action.