FYI Calling all space nerds: Lets build a Dyson sphere

Maybe in trace amounts, but probably not useful ones. Oil is found in deep deposits created over millions of years, from a theoretical combination of the layering of biological matter and heat from the planet's core. An asteroid would have neither of those processes, and would also not have been ejected from deep enough in the planet's crust to contain existing oil unless the impact was of a planet ending magnitude. I'd say it would have to be an absolutely massive asteroid. Basically a rogue planet.

Then what would we want off an asteroid, tampon?

For the lazy:

The Fucking Article I Linked Already said:
Two of the resources the company plans to mine are platinum-group metals and water, Anderson said.Platinum-group metals — ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum — are found in low concentrations on Earth and can be tough to access, which is why they're so expensive. In fact, Anderson said, they don't occur naturally in Earth's crust, having been deposited on our planet over the eons by asteroid impacts.

Let's look at this another way.

To be able to mine and harvest mercury we'll need 2 things we don't currently have. A way to protect anything on the surface, or that near the sun, from the extreme heat, and 2, a way to protect anything on the surface, or that close to the sun, from the extreme radiation.

Now, if you develop those two techs, you won't need to harvest Mercury, or create a Dyson sphere, as you will have two of the critical components needed to make a viable fusion reactor.

Constantly mine the dark side of mercury. Can't be too difficult to have a mobile mining operation.

Last edited: