California judge rules early cell phone termination fees illegal

While as a consumer I want to say "Yea! This is awesome!" I don't see how they can be illegal. It's a contract, the person signed it before getting service knowing full well what they were getting into. They don't try to hide it in any way. People have contracts all the time that require you to pay money if you don't abide by them. Knyte and I just purchased a house with a deposit. We signed a contract, if for some reason we don't abide by that contract and purchase the house, we forfeit the deposit, how is the cell phone thing any different?

I terminated my old Vodafone contract - cost me the remainder of my contract bill (which was two months).

My last time in Canada (April) they charged me 12 GBP per minute to call back here.

I'm with O2 now, much better. Unlimited emails and unlimited text messages. Fantastic.

I terminated my old Vodafone contract - cost me the remainder of my contract bill (which was two months).

My last time in Canada (April) they charged me 12 GBP per minute to call back here.

I'm with O2 now, much better. Unlimited emails and unlimited text messages. Fantastic.
^ A real mobile network

I don't think phones in the EU are prohibitively expensive. Our cellular system is shit backwards. Its about time we learn a thing or two from across the pond.

The iPhone is twice as expensive over there from what I've heard. But I agree with the service rates, we should learn from them