Buying a Laptop

brad, this info might be helpful:

The extra junk software that comes preinstalled is easy to remove. Or you can just run the restore cd that comes with it and have a clean copy of Vista with out all the gateway junk software (does anyone really need AOL s/w preinstalled?)

Gateway does have XP drivers for this laptop on there web site so it should not be too hard for one to get XP working on it if thats what you want to do.

:lol: flynavy logic ftl :lol:

Imagine IBMs can last 6 years. And then imagine a Gateway can only last 3 years. You just linked to a 3 year old Thinkpad. So in 2011, which laptop will still be running? Answer: Both of them!! Why not get the faster one?

Good purchase, dude. I was in BB yesterday and saw an HP with 3gb of RAM, Ahtlon X2, 250gb HD, DVD DL burner, card reader, etc for $750 no rebates. I love the prices of laptops now!

Dell Outlet site, as waw posted already. Except search for the Dell Vostro 1400 or 1500 line. There's a few there under $500, with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, large hdd, wireless, etc. They aren't bad laptops. I purchased a couple for customers and was surprised by how decent they made.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad would be my first choice, but you won't find one (new or refurb) for under $500 with decent specs. Only off lease for that price range, but not awesome system specs.

edit: day late, oh well, for future reference, learn to search the Outlet site. Lots of awesome deals there.

Last edited:
Dell Outlet site, as waw posted already. Except search for the Dell Vostro 1400 or 1500 line. There's a few there under $500, with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, large hdd, wireless, etc. They aren't bad laptops. I purchased a couple for customers and was surprised by how decent they made.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad would be my first choice, but you won't find one (new or refurb) for under $500 with decent specs. Only off lease for that price range, but not awesome system specs.

edit: day late, oh well, for future reference, learn to search the Outlet site. Lots of awesome deals there.

Thanks anyways hawkers!

I think I got a pretty good deal on what we picked up for the price.

:lol: flynavy logic ftl :lol:

Imagine IBMs can last 6 years. And then imagine a Gateway can only last 3 years. You just linked to a 3 year old Thinkpad. So in 2011, which laptop will still be running? Answer: Both of them!! Why not get the faster one?

Good purchase, dude. I was in BB yesterday and saw an HP with 3gb of RAM, Ahtlon X2, 250gb HD, DVD DL burner, card reader, etc for $750 no rebates. I love the prices of laptops now!

Wow that pretty good for 750! Especially BB

Yeah, it is horrible having a boss who wants to utilize money for what we actually need instead of throwing thousands of dollars at something I will rarely use. God I love to hate you :tard: :p

Then why bother with a laptop at all? It's comical to send you out looking for a new one for $500. Might as well tell you to buy a new company car, too, for 2,000 more.

Yeah, it is horrible having a boss who wants to utilize money for what we actually need instead of throwing thousands of dollars at something I will rarely use. God I love to hate you :tard: :p

the point is that $500 is a retardedly low amount for a new laptop :p simply doubling that amount will allow you to get something reliable with decent specs (even though you don't NEED crap like core duo and two gigs of memory)

Then why bother with a laptop at all? It's comical to send you out looking for a new one for $500. Might as well tell you to buy a new company car, too, for 2,000 more.

Why is it comical when I did get what I needed for $549? I am the one who told him all I would need is about 500 bucks, not him. Why would I go out and spend 1500 bucks on a machine that I can use a 500 dollar machine for?

the point is that $500 is a retardedly low amount for a new laptop :p simply doubling that amount will allow you to get something reliable with decent specs (even though you don't NEED crap like core duo and two gigs of memory)

"reliable" is a easily thrown around word because you have 0 proof whether or not it will be "reliable"...

It has all the specs that I "need" for a work computer and it only cost 500 bucks. If in 3 years it craps out on me I will buy your $2000 dollar super reliable laptop for 500 bucks new ;)

Why is it comical when I did get what I needed for $549? I am the one who told him all I would need is about 500 bucks, not him. Why would I go out and spend 1500 bucks on a machine that I can use a 500 dollar machine for?

YOU ARE GAY. HAHA! Take that!

/thread

"reliable" is a easily thrown around word because you have 0 proof whether or not it will be "reliable"...

It has all the specs that I "need" for a work computer and it only cost 500 bucks. If in 3 years it craps out on me I will buy your $2000 dollar super reliable laptop for 500 bucks new ;)

it'd be as if you were arguing with me on whether or not a chevy is as reliable as a toyota :p

it'd be as if you were arguing with me on whether or not a chevy is as reliable as a toyota :p

except all of the above computers are using intel boards, intel chips and are virtually identical in quality of internal parts but one charges a fuckton more because of their name

except all of the above computers are using intel boards, intel chips and are virtually identical in quality of internal parts but one charges a fuckton more because of their name

not exactly, the build quality is vastly different

again, chevy vs toyota :fly: your corvette is going to fall apart a hell of a lot sooner than a camry