Bullets over/in your house

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
So I have this cousin, Shadrack, to whom crazy ass shit always happens even though he rarely ventures out of his house. Suffice it to say he is the only person that I know who has been in a high speed police chase.

His latest story goes starts out with him watching television on his couch this past New Years Eve. Midnight strikes and he says he hears everyone in the neighborhood shooting off their fireworks, when suddenly a firework goes off against the window shooting what he thinks is a piece of glass across the room. Something lands in the corner next to the couch. "Crazy shit" he goes to bed thinking.

The next day Shadrack notices a one inch hole in his ceiling over the couch. WTF? he thinks where did that come from. He gets on his ladder and notices a matching hole in the roof above the hole in the ceiling. Holy shit, he thinks some one shot my house.

Days pass. Shadrack, who is not the best house keeper, asssumes that there is bullet somewhere in his house, but can't find. But he does find a piece of drywall that was flung across the room from the hole in his ceiling.

Fast forward to this past Thursday. Shadrack goes to move a box on his cofee table. He looks inside and what does he find:
What looks like a perfect .45 caliber slug sitting there. You could see the rifling on the slug and make out 7 groves. It was only slightly beat up from punching through the roof and ceiling.

Crazy shit.

Content: What crazy stuff has come crashing into your house?

Drool-Boy said:
I would think that if the slug had penetrated the roof, and celing, it wouldnt be in perfect condition. Bullets tend to flatten out or mushroom on impact.
His house is cardboard. Its glazed tho, for reinforcement.

Drool-Boy said:
I would think that if the slug had penetrated the roof, and celing, it wouldnt be in perfect condition. Bullets tend to flatten out or mushroom on impact.

No real deformation. Just scratches. It only went through some shingles, plywood and drywall. The copper was still nicely bullet shaped. I'll try to get him to take a pic sometime today.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Drywall is like paper to bullets
I would have thought that it might have gotten a little busted up coming through the roof. But then again it was only 1/4 inch thick plywood. Like I said though the copper was banged up, not all shiny and polished. You could tell it had come through something.

Drool-Boy said:
What about shingles & 3/4 in roof decking?

Im not calling your friend a liar or anything, it just sounded odd to me that the bullet didnt deform is all.

I'll take a pic of it for you later today. Cause the story is waay better when you see the slug.

Drool-Boy said:
What about shingles & 3/4 in roof decking?

Im not calling your friend a liar or anything, it just sounded odd to me that the bullet didnt deform is all.
Single layer of cheap shingles is nothing, the 3/4" plywood might have deformed it a little, though I've shot through plywood without any significant damage to the bullet with several calibers using FMJ bullets in the past. Depends on the quality of the wood I suppose.

Which is why people always say to use low power and hollow point or other soft nosed rounds for home defense, or a shotgun of course. There's a serious danger of hitting someone else in the house rooms away if you missed your attacker, or if it went clean through 'im.

I put a 7.62x54R straight through a VW bus (Front skin, steering column, 3 rows of seats, back skin) and the exit hole was still a nice clean .3".

I shot the wrong kind of slug out of a 12 gauge at the Red River once as a teenager. It came out tumbling, and went through the fridge I shot sideways. That would've hurt...