Ontopic Building an AR-15?

GH0ST said:
I'm tired of typing. More later, or ask me specific questions.

Buddy that has been doing pistol competitions for the past 5 years or so recommended that I just find a fully assembled rifle from a decent manufacturer for my first, shoot that for a while then figure what I like and what I don't like, then sell the fully assembled one and fund the second or just mod it.
Thoughts?

Buddy that has been doing pistol competitions for the past 5 years or so recommended that I just find a fully assembled rifle from a decent manufacturer for my first, shoot that for a while then figure what I like and what I don't like, then sell the fully assembled one and fund the second or just mod it.
Thoughts?

That's the same thing I tell everyone, but you said you wanted to build it and I figured you knew what you were getting into.

Check out:

Smith & Wesson M&P-15
Stag arms
Bravo Company
Yankee Hill

That's the same thing I tell everyone, but you said you wanted to build it and I figured you knew what you were getting into.
I don't know shit.

The distributor I'll likely go with has these manufacturers available in 5.56:
Bravo Company
CMMG
Core 15
Colt
Diamondback
Daniel Defense
DPMS
LWRC
Noveske
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms
Sig
S&W
WMD Guns
Windham Weaponry

Any of those that you'd recommend above S&W, Stag, or Bravo?

Edit: after some cursory research, I figure I'd go with something that is designed for 5.56 as it will still handle .223 which is cheaper. Good thought?

Last edited:
I don't know shit.

The distributor I'll likely go with has these manufacturers available in 5.56:
Bravo Company
CMMG
Core 15
Colt
Diamondback
Daniel Defense
DPMS
LWRC
Noveske
Rock River Arms
Stag Arms
Sig
S&W
WMD Guns
Windham Weaponry

Any of those that you'd recommend above S&W, Stag, or Bravo?

Edit: after some cursory research, I figure I'd go with something that is designed for 5.56 as it will still handle .223 which is cheaper. Good thought?

You would actually have more difficulty finding an AR by one of those brands chambered in .223 than 5.56. :)

Do you know what features (aesthetic or functional) that you want?

You would actually have more difficulty finding an AR by one of those brands chambered in .223 than 5.56. :)

Do you know what features (aesthetic or functional) that you want?
I'm not sure what features I'm even looking for.

I know I want to be able to add a scope, but I want to be able to practice with normal manual sights as well (especially since the scope won't come till later)

What other options am I looking at? Know a good website that has a primer for what options there are?

Not completely sure, which is why I was leaning towards building it from individual parts as I'd be able to get parts here and there. If I had to get the entire rifle, maybe $700-800? I haven't looked around a lot, so I'm not sure if that is realistic or not.

My dad has two 1911s that I will get. One of them was my grandfather's service weapon. Don't need to worry about a 1911. Besides, they're not too useful as a pistol, if I'm buying a pistol I'm going to buy something I can use as a CCW weapon.

I carry a 1911 and I'm a little skinny guy. lol

I was only talking about building stuff.

I went to your website. No idea what the fuck you are doing.

oh, lol.

Forum joke. Appian sent UF a cease and desist because they felt a link to them was bad press. It was a single link from a demo like 5 years ago and they sent the notice last month.

The links are me just trolling them.

oh, lol.

Forum joke. Appian sent UF a cease and desist because they felt a link to them was bad press. It was a single link from a demo like 5 years ago and they sent the notice last month.

The links are me just trolling them.

Now I'm sad. :(

Why you no invite Denny Crane to your shenanigans?