Building a new Computah

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
I have been attempting to build out a new machine now for about 3 weeks and I have only really got a good idea on the processor. I found what I think is a good deal on Newegg for a combo with the processor I want but I cannot tell if the mobo is up to high enough standards. I was going to go all out and drop a couple thousand on it but things didnt go entirely as planned with work so I am trying to conserve a little more. I still have a bit put aside for computah though and I need help...

I decided after some Erage and Flyzzor help that I would go with a dual core instead of the q6600. Here is my choice on that...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail 189.00

They have a combo deal for a mobo but I am not sure if I should go with this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135093
ECS P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $89

Total Combo deal is
Combo Price: $264.98

What do you think? Erage suggested a nice case for me also but I cant remember which one so Ill take some advice on that also.

If you would like you can pick out some other things to help me complete it. I figure I have about 200-250 for vid card and the rest I would like to low ball if it wont effect performance to much.

Also, I almost broke down and just got the complete system off slickdeals.net today for 600 bucks. They have a 400 off 1000 HP systems but I think I would be shooting myself in the foot???

Last edited:
the 3.16 dual core is a kickin processor. I have it in my machine, and I have zero complaints.

One thing to keep in mind, whatever you build now, think of it as, in 1 - 2 years, becoming your media center, since that is where things will be going and many of the dual core machines sitting on people's desks today could very well be migrated into people's home entertainment systems tomorrow for exactly that purpose.

I'm almost ready to pop mine over to do that as we speak. I really want to fully integrate my home entertainment system into the internet.

the 3.16 dual core is a kickin processor. I have it in my machine, and I have zero complaints.

One thing to keep in mind, whatever you build now, think of it as, in 1 - 2 years, becoming your media center, since that is where things will be going and many of the dual core machines sitting on people's desks today could very well be migrated into people's home entertainment systems tomorrow for exactly that purpose.

I'm almost ready to pop mine over to do that as we speak. I really want to fully integrate my home entertainment system into the internet.

I almost bought this wireless box for that the other day but they didnt have it in stock. I just wanna watch my movies on TV without having to wire the whole damn thing or screw with that many dvds anymore.

So the Wolfdale is the way to go over the q6600? Seems to be the general opinion

I am just going to go ahead and get that mobo combo, its only 90 bucks and its got what I need, i guess :fly:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154

Is what i use and recommended. Quiet in it's own right, but not as quiet as the sonata. However, the P180 has much better airflow and cooling capabilities, which I needed. Just depends on what you are going for.

I will say, my main complaint is that the P180 is heavy as hell, you will not be wanting to move that thing often once you put all the parts in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154

Is what i use and recommended. Quiet in it's own right, but not as quiet as the sonata. However, the P180 has much better airflow and cooling capabilities, which I needed. Just depends on what you are going for.

I will say, my main complaint is that the P180 is heavy as hell, you will not be wanting to move that thing often once you put all the parts in it.
it's cheaper than the sonata too, but i needed something that looks good without a door. i hate doors on my case, and don't need to lock my optical drives.

fixt.

Get yourself an Asus mobo (or if you can afford it Supermicro or Tyan). Workstation motherboards kick ass. Reliable as hell.

Bah, I had a couple of those things that ran forever. iirc, I built 3 different PCs a couple of years ago with ECS boards. Solid as a rock...

Bah, I had a couple of those things that ran forever. iirc, I built 3 different PCs a couple of years ago with ECS boards. Solid as a rock...

From all of the reviews I read before I bought my last MB, it would seem that is the case provided: A) The installer is not bright like unlit coal, and B) Not planning on serious overclocking

I dont plan on thrashing my CPU trying to overclock it when it would already be running at 3.16. Kinda the reason I am buying a new CPU...

Thanks so much guys for the suggestions. I will be ordering today and sticking with that mobo because of price and access(combo deal). I figure it only cost 80 bucks and if I want to upgrade later I can always do that when I have more money to blow.

Unless there is another board someone wants to suggest with that cpu for the same price... Again thanks!!!

How about this, same price and its just 1 step down on the cpu...

#

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model

Works out to 274... so pretty much the same price but an Asus board and .16 lower