budget talk

it's not about knowing what/how i spend. it's about trying to set UP a budget...it's about anticipating what my needs are, what should go in there, and how to establish a system that handles it all. do you have separate accounts for gifts, and vacation, and house repair, and car, and hookers/blow, and bills? do you throw it all in one pot and dig in when you need it? do you have an account for quarterly stuff? i want a system that i can divvy stuff up into and have everything taken care of. is the answer two accounts? twenty? the old accordion file system under the mattress?

ugh. :case:

This is where Quicken excels, Thornee. Not only does it help you set up a budget, but then helps you track your actual spending versus your preset budget, and tells you when you are going off course.

it's not about knowing what/how i spend. it's about trying to set UP a budget...it's about anticipating what my needs are, what should go in there, and how to establish a system that handles it all. do you have separate accounts for gifts, and vacation, and house repair, and car, and hookers/blow, and bills? do you throw it all in one pot and dig in when you need it? do you have an account for quarterly stuff? i want a system that i can divvy stuff up into and have everything taken care of. is the answer two accounts? twenty? the old accordion file system under the mattress?

ugh. :case:

I'm telling ya ING Direct is groovy. I have the main checking account so that I have debit card access when needed then I have savings accounts such as: Pet Care, Car Maintenance, ER Fund, and Home Downpayment.

I'm telling ya ING Direct is groovy. I have the main checking account so that I have debit card access when needed then I have savings accounts such as: Pet Care, Car Maintenance, ER Fund, and Home Downpayment.

so like is your check electronically deposited? do you have it all broken up into payments for each account?

As far as setting up a budget, I have spelt out about how much my bills are each month, aside from gas which is higher in the winter and electricity that kills us in the summer, most are fairly standard amounts if not exactly the same each month, then I know what's leftover and everything else just has to come from that, oh, except for the amount that is automatically debited into a complete separate checking account every paycheck that is harder to get to so we can't spend it easily.