Ontopic Buddhism

:lol: I'm not the one bashing on peoples beliefs. I might have done in the past but it's not my typical MO to bash on Christians unlike some other people.
Bullshit, you've done it plenty.
However you're the one who seems ignorant by supposing that all Buddhist schools of thought are like the Catholic church in which you must believe certain things or you're a 'bad' follower. I'm not in Tibet, nor does much of my philosophy come from there. Being a logical and scientific being is not at odds with modern Buddhism, we're capable of moving on which is something I find off about certain parts of Christianity. Your faith and religion do not have to fall apart just because you admit that thousands of years ago people saw things differently to now and we now know certain things better than we have done in the past. I don't believe the cornerstone of any religion should fall on bad science or bad history writing, the core principles are all the same either way and that doesn't have to change. Who cares if I believe that Santideva ascended to the skies once he had finished writing the Bodhicaryavatara?
It's totally cool if you do but make sure you remember that before the next time you call out any christian on believing in fairy tales.
Honestly most people in the buddhist community laugh at the thought of that happening, maybe it's a metaphor, who cares? What matters is the content of the scripts he wrote and what you take from them and apply to your way of living life, just as people would use Jesus as an example of how to live.

I don't give a flying fuck about what people believe but hypocrisy relating to religion should always be exposed.
Also: Everyone in the world is a hypocrite in one way or another, why would that not apply to me? :lol: I'm a hypocrite in tons of ways, just like you are.

no, not everyone. and yes, when I do it I should be called out on it too

I don't think I'm hypocritical at all with regards to my religion. It's my own personal beliefs and way of living and it works in my favour and works well for me. I don't see how that can be wrong or make me a hypocrite. I believe what I want, I take what I need and hope that it benefits other people as a consequence. Pretty kickass really.

Oh and if you want my personal recommendation for some books I LOVE anything by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. I always go back to this one at least once a year:

http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Steps-H...7786/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290720214&sr=8-3

I guess this one would be good for you as you want to learn more too:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-...6772/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1290720214&sr=8-7

The reason I like him so much is because he's very East meets West and he explains things in simple terminology as well as quite elaborate Buddhist terms. :) Also it just makes so much damn sense all the time.

They use the Eight Steps book at my buddha camp.

I don't think I'm hypocritical at all with regards to my religion. It's my own personal beliefs and way of living and it works in my favour and works well for me. I don't see how that can be wrong or make me a hypocrite. I believe what I want, I take what I need and hope that it benefits other people as a consequence. Pretty kickass really.

sweetheart, I'm not saying your beliefs are hypocritical. it's mocking someone else's religious beliefs that I'm talking about

this

Kinda like you're doing? o_0

I hate on bad science regardless of religion, sweetheart.

holy shit :waw:

you have to be trolling

I'll break this down for you fucking barney style:

You have mocked other religions for their belief in the supernatural.

If you believe in the supernatural, you are being hypocritical.

I do not believe in the supernatural at all so me mocking anyone's belief of the supernatural is not hypocritical.

and at no point in this thread have I mocked your or anyone's religion. I do so plenty in other threads but that's because I think all flavors of magic make believe is equally hilarious.

Last edited:
like 42% of our problems today come directly from organized religion.

what people wanna believe on their own time by themselves is fine with me. shit, spaghetti monster 4 lyfe yo, but you don't hear me preaching about it to everyone all the time.

Last edited:
this is funny reading. All the haters. it's interesting to see that people in their 20's & 30's drift away from the church and then drift back later in life. I know a lot of people like this.

how snide - "i've believed in xy for longer than you" or "i have never doubted xy"

sounds very loving.

this is funny reading. All the haters. it's interesting to see that people in their 20's & 30's drift away from the church and then drift back later in life. I know a lot of people like this.

personally i havent 'strayed' away from my religion/church (my ex-father in law is a pastor).. and i pray twice a day...every day.

no. I think it's natural for that age group to feel invincible. It has nothing to do with love, you romantic. :)

surely willfull religion is better than blind loyalty?

don't worry - i know exactly what you meant. i assume you never stopped 'believing' so thus people in your boat are better than recent converts, or born agains.

i find this to be funny reading.

edit: to kiki,

no, not you. lot's of other people do. I did a little. not where I didn't go, but where I was trying to figure out how religion fit into my life. I think it's an important part for me now, but there was a time where I thought it wasn't as important. There's lots of people that never 'stray.' but in my experience, I've seen people leave, & then come back.

i look back & it's like the footprints story for me.

Last edited:
no, not you. lot's of other people do. I did a little. not where I didn't go, but where I was trying to figure out how religion fit into my life. I think it's an important part for me now, but there was a time where I thought it wasn't as important. There's lots of people that never 'stray.' but in my experience, I've seen people leave, & then come back.

i look back & it's like the footprints story for me.

fair enough. i got the impression it was almost materialistic to believe, which would be quite the quandary seeing as belief is universal.

then again there isn't much left that isn't a boastful hierarchy. the atheist movement suffers from it the most.