Ontopic Buddhism

Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion.

"Be excellent to each other."
"Party on, dude."

Buddhism is very much a religion. It just trendy Westerners who only subscribe to the philosophical aspects.

Sent from bloody mobile phone.

That the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

CLIP said:
As a former atheist, I can tell you that nothing would probably annoy an atheist more than telling them that atheism is actually a religion. Their whole point is that all religions are wrong because there is no God or

gods, so atheists, the most progressive and liberated people of all, live without religion.

However, if you stop and think about it, atheism is indeed a religion, for one simple reason: you cannot prove that there is no God - you have to believe it. Agnostics are more honest about the issue; their position is, "We do not know whether God exists or not; you can't prove He does, and you can't prove He doesn't." Atheists, on the other hand, claim there is no God, period. And how do they know? Right - they don't. They just believe it.

Another aspect of atheism that proves its religious nature is that atheistic societies, consciously or not, try to replace rejected religious rituals with those of their own, sometimes ironically similar.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/563945/atheism_godless_religion.html?cat=34

im really into the zen branch off buddhism.
i told my mom today that im a buddhist and she laughed at me. catholic biatch.
anyway tell me everything u know

Never really been into Zen to be honest, it's a it Japanesey and shit which isn't something I subscribe to. I do know a pretty cool meditation that I believe is Zen though and it's called 'just sitting'. I give you 3 guesses as to what you do. It's pretty cool though. i went on a retreat and did a 'just sitting' meditation and had some kind of mental breakthrough which made me cry instantly. Can't remember what it was now but it seemed very profound.

he's wrong. atheism does not inherently purport that there is no higher being. agnosticism is the idea that not only do we not know but that we can't possibly ever know. agnosticism actually makes a claim while generally weak/negative explicit atheism simply says :iono:. the rare strong/positive explicit atheist actually makes the claim that there is no god but holding a single belief idea by others does not make a religion any more than sharing the idea that guns are important for self defense is a religion.

I'm an atheist because I have no belief in a higher power. I don't claim there isn't one but since there's no rational evidence to support the existence of one I'm not going to buy into it. The majority of atheists follow a similar line of thinking with varying levels of certainty and with some expressing them more than others but at no point can it honestly be said that a lack of belief system - ie, not giving a fuck whether there's a higher power - can be called a religion simply because some people are actively trying to discourage others who do have beliefs in a higher power.

At best one could link atheism to a set of political beliefs but even then, not even a significant majority of atheists care about how much the government associates with religion.

Last edited:
i agree with semper.

the leader of the national atheist alliance or whatever it was called was on the radio here recently and basically said "i'll believe in zeus when he comes down from olympus." he's not claiming there is no higher being, just saying it's not realistic and he's not going to believe the religions of the world, and on the same token thinks religion should be separated from everything we do politically.

he's wrong. atheism does not inherently purport that there is no higher being. agnosticism is the idea that not only do we not know but that we can't possibly ever know. agnosticism actually makes a claim while generally weak/negative explicit atheism simply says :iono:. the rare strong/positive explicit atheist actually makes the claim that there is no god but holding a single belief idea by others does not make a religion any more than sharing the idea that guns are important for self defense is a religion.

I'm an atheist because I have no belief in a higher power. I don't claim there isn't one but since there's no rational evidence to support the existence of one I'm not going to buy into it. The majority of atheists follow a similar line of thinking with varying levels of certainty and with some expressing them more than others but at no point can it honestly be said that a lack of belief system - ie, not giving a fuck whether there's a higher power - can be called a religion simply because some people are actively trying to discourage others who do have beliefs in a higher power.

At best one could link atheism to a set of political beliefs but even then, not even a significant majority of atheists care about how much the government associates with religion.

i agree with semper.

the leader of the national atheist alliance or whatever it was called was on the radio here recently and basically said "i'll believe in zeus when he comes down from olympus." he's not claiming there is no higher being, just saying it's not realistic and he's not going to believe the religions of the world, and on the same token thinks religion should be separated from everything we do politically.

Sounds like there are different definitions of atheism to different people.

Sounds like there are different definitions of atheism to different people.

exactly. it's not a religion by any stretch of the imagination. not-collecting-stamps is not a hobby, bald is not a hair color, walking is not a car manufacturer

might as well call buddhism a political party. sure, you can call it that. you can call it hot sauce if you want. you'll still be wrong :p

Last edited:
exactly. it's not a religion by any stretch of the imagination. not-collecting-stamps is not a hobby, bald is not a hair color, walking is not a car manufacturer

might as well call buddhism a political party. sure, you can call it that. you can call it hot sauce if you want. you'll still be wrong :p
Religion is a belief in something... atheism is a belief in something too.

Religion is a belief in something... atheism is a belief in something too.

religion is far more than just a belief in something and atheism is a lack of belief, not a belief

you and I share similar beliefs in regards to guns, am i rite? that doesn't make those specific beliefs a religion

Buddhism is like a cocktail. You drink a little, you feel good, and then before you know it you're on the floor and everyone is laughing at you.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist. Therefore, a belief system based on the fact that God doesn't exist, requires faith.

Not to mention athiests preach as much, or more, than born again Christians. Kinda like you do...

I stand corrected. THAT is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Believing in God does not make you Christian, as there are other relions that believe in God.

The ownus of proof falls directly on those that make the original claim.

In related news I just finished watching Religulous. I laughed lots.

92% chance Liam has seen it. 74% chance he has a copy.