WTF Breaking News: Vatican can prevent autism!!

Re: Breaking News: Vaccinations can prevent autism!!

They can stick whatever they want in their "policy" books, pretty much, so long as it's not discriminating against race, religion, or sex...

I fight them tooth and nail and have gone thru all resources, but in the end...my son has to go to school somewhere.

Can't you home school him now you're a STAHM?

Oh, hey, this conversation looks fun.

d6e1G.gif

I agree with everything you said, but have a minor disagreement with this. The exact diagnosis given can change some parts of the therapy, but overall the therapy is the same for autism, Aspergers, and other ASD
I was referring to my own situation more than a general case, but I do agree. Therapy will obviously be different depending on how communicative a person is, not to mention how able you are to make them sit down for a session.

You're making good posts in this thread, keep at it.

Re: Breaking News: Vaccinations can prevent autism!!

...Again, I was not replying specifically to the point of Autism, but to the "degree=God status" comment...

You're right, no degree conveys god status. But in medicine it's about more than just a degree. It's about the people who are the most (read: "only") qualified individuals to make complicated determinations of medical conditions. Medical school conveys the degree. That's 4 years. Then you do your residency, where you are a hands-on doctor in a hospital somewhere, often working 80 hour weeks. (Want to moonlight in an urgent care for more money? There's another several hours a day.) That lasts for 3 more years. If you want to specialize you move on to fellowship after that, which is another 3 years of hands-on doctoring at another hospital somewhere, still working 50-80 hour weeks while performing much more complicated work and also being on call all the time. (On call translated to 3 hours of sleep a night for several nights at a time while fielding calls at all hours, and sometimes running back to the hospital.)

So 10 years and tens of thousands of hours worth of medical experience later you are really the only person who should be diagnosing anyone of anything. The body is an extremely complicated machine. It's almost miraculous that any of us is even alive, considering the million things that can go wrong.

Anyway, it's not about degree = god status. It's about sh*tloads of expertise = doctor status.

Last edited:
You don't HAVE to trust your doctor, but you should give them a lot of credit. And seek another opinion.

All of this having been said, yes, there are some terrible doctors out there. So no system is perfect. But the system of western, modern medicine really, really weeds out a lot of unqualified candidates.

To a point.

Good luck getting a job in law enforcement, or as a school bus driver, or something in those veins.

My great uncle who is in his 70s has a form of autism "we think," back when he was a kid mental disabilities like this were not tested for and you were just labeled as simple. He was never tested, but the neat thing is he appears to be a date savant. Ask him anything in history and he can tell you the date exactly, sometimes the time as well.

We quizzed him on presidents trivia, wars, all the way down to the day I Love Lucy episodes aired for the first time and he can tell you exactly. It's astounding.

He functions somewhat well, never married, got a degree, worked as a teacher his whole life, and loves the church. It's worrisome that he is by himself at that age, but he's still kicking.

I don't know where I was going with that.

My great uncle who is in his 70s has a form of autism "we think," back when he was a kid mental disabilities like this were not tested for and you were just labeled as simple. He was never tested, but the neat thing is he appears to be a date savant. Ask him anything in history and he can tell you the date exactly, sometimes the time as well.

We quizzed him on presidents trivia, wars, all the way down to the day I Love Lucy episodes aired for the first time and he can tell you exactly. It's astounding.

He functions somewhat well, never married, got a degree, worked as a teacher his whole life, and loves the church. It's worrisome that he is by himself at that age, but he's still kicking.

I don't know where I was going with that.
And these days if you get labeled as something, or almost even worse, take medication for it, it's in your record and you're automatically looked at differently.