Thread Breaking News: Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

I most definitely do. You don't need to reboot the franchise, but what you have with the star wars universe is exactly that, an entire universe. Telling a story of Jedi vs Sith elsewhere in the Lucasverse that stands on it's own but keeps the entire thematic and world building flavor of star wars is exactly what it should do to move forward. No more c3p0 unrealistically showing up everywhere. No more R2D2 being aware of the real story the entire 6 episodes and not saying anything. No more Chewbacca showing up in episodes where he should be a mini-bacca. No. Too much talent exists in the world for them to not be able to create a new story in existing, established beloved universe and make it their own, put their own stamp on it, and tell us a new story.

I feel that with the final trilogy of the tri-trilogy, they almost have to bring back a couple of the previous characters for the first, and maybe part of the second movie. It'll be too expected.

Once they get that last, 9th episode out, then they can explore the rest of the universe. If Lucas hadn't fucked up and told the story of Anakin for episodes 1-3, we might've been able to do something else for the last three movies (fun thought, if Lucas wasn't such a tool, we could have had episodes 1-3 at least partially focus on a young, inexperienced Yoda finding his way and his connection with the Force)

The idea of turning the series into "the fall and redemption of anakin skywalker" was a good one. That was the best thing he could have done to connect it...it's the execution that was atrocious.

mmmmmm. Not really.

He's great for what he does, don't get me wrong. But I think what he does is wrong for Star Wars.

I think Christopher Nolan, however, could bring back the Empire Strikes Back level of magic.

yeah... Whedon is awesome, but his movies are a little too light to be starwars. Star was is a space opera, its serious at its core with lighter characters (solo, 3po, etc)

yeah... Whedon is awesome, but his movies are a little too light to be starwars. Star was is a space opera, its serious at its core with lighter characters (solo, 3po, etc)
I'm not sure I agree. I mean, he's only directed three or four movies, fair amount of TV shows (and Buffy is pretty solidly a drama-opera), but I don't think we've seen enough of his work to determine his range

And even if everything he's done thus far is "light" who cares? It doesn't necessarily determine all of his work. Look at Jack Black, he's the quintessential rockin music funny dude! yeah!
Except there is talk about him getting an Oscar nominee for his most recent movie where he's this effeminate little Texan preacher.

Just because you are known for doing one thing well does not mean you can do other things well.

I'm not sure I agree. I mean, he's only directed three or four movies, fair amount of TV shows (and Buffy is pretty solidly a drama-opera), but I don't think we've seen enough of his work to determine his range

And even if everything he's done thus far is "light" who cares? It doesn't necessarily determine all of his work. Look at Jack Black, he's the quintessential rockin music funny dude! yeah!
Except there is talk about him getting an Oscar nominee for his most recent movie where he's this effeminate little Texan preacher.

Just because you are known for doing one thing well does not mean you can do other things well.

Im just impressed with the avengers, and i did like firefly. Dont like buffy/etc at all.

The avengers could have been terrible, in fact there was a high chance it was going to be. But it was awesome.

Yes, but as opposed to actors who spend their life trying to be someone else, a director's style rarely changes.

Yes, but as opposed to actors who spend their life trying to be someone else, a director's style rarely changes.
Then I guess I'm missing the point. The writer sets the tone for the movie, the director (hopefully) works with the writer to bring about that tone.

It's not Whedon that will be in charge of the tone of the movies

Then I guess I'm missing the point. The writer sets the tone for the movie, the director (hopefully) works with the writer to bring about that tone.

It's not Whedon that will be in charge of the tone of the movies

Pssh, writers have so little say in movies... Only the truly powerful ones with a proven track record and the smarts to license their shit before negotiations get input rights. No, the movies vision and direction is almost always the responsibility of the director.

I most definitely do. You don't need to reboot the franchise, but what you have with the star wars universe is exactly that, an entire universe. Telling a story of Jedi vs Sith elsewhere in the Lucasverse that stands on it's own but keeps the entire thematic and world building flavor of star wars is exactly what it should do to move forward. No more c3p0 unrealistically showing up everywhere. No more R2D2 being aware of the real story the entire 6 episodes and not saying anything. No more Chewbacca showing up in episodes where he should be a mini-bacca. No. Too much talent exists in the world for them to not be able to create a new story in existing, established beloved universe and make it their own, put their own stamp on it, and tell us a new story.

I've been saying this for years. It's bizarre that Hollywood can't seem to grasp the concept of making a Star Wars film with characters no one has ever heard of before, in situations no one has ever seen before. Granted some of this inability is related to economics. To maximize box office draw you want the familiar characters in there to pull the people who have adored them for decades back to the theater. It's a financial decision. But at some point you have to put some creative faith back into the franchise to give future generations something new to love. We can't go on jerking off over the same 30+ year old movies.

chewie wouldnt ever be mini chewie. He was like 200 years old in a new hope. He'd lived an entire life before han rescued him from slavery.

chewie wouldnt ever be mini chewie. He was like 200 years old in a new hope. He'd lived an entire life before han rescued him from slavery.

That isn't even possible. He had a high energy level and appetite, meaning his metabolism was far too active for a mammal his size to live that long. He must have been like 50, tops.