Food Bread and baking

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
I've tried to do a post on this a few times before, but always gave up when I couldn't figure out how much information to include about any step in the process. This time I figure I'll just put down a couple recipes and a few tips and answer any questions as they come. Also note that these recipes are by weight, not volume.

Qpr09.jpg

Mise en place, it works, bitches!

The first bread is a basic, lean, french style dough. It's incredibly easy to make and doesn't even require kneading. Ive gotten good results with both bread flour and AP flour and use it for dinner rolls, baguettes, pizza, or cheesy bread. Since it's a lean dough it doesn't have much of a shelf life and will become hard as stone after a day or so.

500g flour
10g kosher salt
10g dry active yeast (if you have instant yeast you can cut this down to 3 or 4g)
350g water

Measure and combine your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add water. Stir until there's nothing dry left. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Optionally you can let it rise at room temperature for four hours or so, but you'll want to use less yeast-- maybe only 3 or 4 grams.

Once risen, carefully remove the dough from the bowl and dump onto a floured work surface. The idea here is to remove as little gas as possible from the dough. This this helps form a rustic crumb with large irregular holes. Obviously it's a non-issue if you're making pizza.

From here on out I'll assume you aren't making pizza. You're on your own if you are.

Next shape the dough. This is intentionally vague because I have no idea what you're trying to do. Here's a pretty good video demonstrating a couple basic techniques:
[video]http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/5821/shaping-dough-video[/video]

Put the shaped dough on some parchment paper (which makes transferring it to the oven much easier) and loosely cover it with something. Sometimes I'll use plastic wrap, sometimes a damp kitchen towel (lint free, and don't use fabric softener unless you want your food to taste like it), or, if the dough is small enough, I'll just cover it with the mixing bowl.

This is a good time to turn on your oven. Set it as high as you can. This is 500-550 on most house ovens I've seen. Get your stone or baking sheet in there as well. Once the oven is preheated let the dough rest for another 15-30 minutes.

Slash your loaves if that part of your plan and transfer to the oven. Take a handful of ice cubes and toss them on the floor of the oven. The moisture helps improve the texture of the crust.

Baking time can vary depending on the size and shape of the bread, but I guess if there's a guideline here it's that "moar brown mean moar bettar." Even the smallest rolls will probably need at least 10 minutes.

When done transfer the bread to a cooling rack and let it sit for at least 10 mins or so. Conventional wisdom is that you're supposed to let the bread cool off completely before cutting into it, but this bread is absolutely wonderful fresh from the oven with a little cheese or butter.

I'll post info for making a sandwich bread later on today.

:heart: for this thread

Ice cubes. An interesting twist on a water bath. Never heard of that. :cool:

edit: The most important ingredient is in the back. wtf man

reedit: And you don't see a difference between AP and bread flour? I've never made enough bread to know, but I've always read that the extra protein makes a big difference.

Last edited:
I've been making this for years and it seems to be all over the net these days.

Potato and goats cheese loaf

1 x 4oz round firm goats cheese
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 medium potato (6oz)
1 rounded teaspoon chopped thyme plus a few sprigs
6oz self-raising flour
1 level teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 heaped tablespoon grain mustard

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/375F/190C.

1 Pare the rind from the cheese then cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 Sift the flour, salt and cayenne into a large bowl, holding the seive high to aerate the flour.
3 Peel the potato and grate coarsely into the flour
4 Add chopped spring onions, chopped thyme and two-thirds of the cheese. Blend all together.
5 Beat the eggand mustard into the milk then pour into the bowl and bring together into a loose dough.
6 Transfer onto a baking sheet and pat into a 6 inch round. Press the remaining cheese cubes
into the surface, dust with flour and scatter the sprigs of thyme over.
7 Bake in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a rack but eat the
first slices while still warm.

You can replace the goats cheese with feta and the spring onions with red onion.

:heart: for this thread

Ice cubes. An interesting twist on a water bath. Never heard of that. :cool:

edit: The most important ingredient is in the back. wtf man

reedit: And you don't see a difference between AP and bread flour? I've never made enough bread to know, but I've always read that the extra protein makes a big difference.

I have a gas oven, so any moisture gets whisked out the exhaust vents almost as soon as it's added. I used to just dump water on the floor of the oven. This would add a quick shot of steam that would vent away in moments. The ice cubes take a while to melt, so new steam is being created for a longer period of time.

I use King Arthur brand flour which has an abnormally high protein for AP. Maybe this is why I'm getting good results regardless? When I was still learning I was using other brands of flour and got unsatisfactory results, but that could have been due to the flour, my inexperience, or the shitty water I had in Cincinnati. No way to know, really.

Okay: Sandwich bread

I make this bread just about every week. It has a good shelf life and makes a great french toast when it does go stale. It's an enriched dough, which means lots of kneading. In fact, I've only made this in a mixer. I guess you could try it by hand, but I don't know how satisfactory the results would be.

400g bread flour
25g nonfat dry milk
30g sugar
8g active dry yeast
8g kosher salt
30g egg
252g water

1tsp of olive or veg oil for coating the bowl when rising

I've had good results substituting half of the bread flour with whole wheat flour, so if you're feeling health conscious you can always go that route.

Measure your dry ingredients and mix together in a bowl. Add your egg and water. I used to take an egg, beat it, and pour exactly 30g worth of egg into the bowl. Then I came to my senses and just added the whole damn egg. Most eggs I've used are between 40 and 60 grams. I'll reduce the amount of water by the difference in egg weight.

At this point I put the bowl on my stand mixer, turn it on, and walk away for an hour or so. It starts out as a very runny dough, almost batter like in consistency. As the mixer works it will slowly come together into a ball of dough. I know it's ready when there is nothing (or almost nothing) stuck to the sides of the bowl.

Remove the dough from the bowl and form into a ball. Add the oil to the bowl, put the dough back in, and toss to coat the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1-2 hours.

Lightly grease your loaf pan if needed. I always had to grease metal ones, but silicone pans don't seem to need greasing. YMMV.

Shape your dough into a loaf. Here's a decent video of this:
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/...af-of-bread-dough-the-video-home-hacks-108773

She makes a big deal about not totally degassing the dough. I don't think it makes a difference with this bread, so you can pound the ever living fuck out of it if you choose. The girl in the video also floured her work surface. You can do this if you want. I find that oil coating from the first rise is enough to prevent sticking.

Set your oven to 350 and cover the loaf pan with oiled plastic wrap or a damp cloth. You want to let it rise until the middle of the loaf is about a half inch above the rim of the pan.

If you're feeling fancy you can dust the top of the loaf with semolina or cornmeal or whatever else turns you on. Take a sharp knife, wet it, and with a quick single motion slice down the length of the bread. You want the cut to roughly half an inch deep. This can be tricky to do, especially if your knife isn't sharp.

Put the pan in thee oven and bake for 45 minutes. Once done extract the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack for a good hour or so. You really don't want to cut into the bread sooner since it's still setting as it cools.

I don't have any useful pics for this, so here's a pizza I baked a few weeks ago:
4mJVQ.jpg

This thread makes me want to buy a mixer now. I'd love to give these a try.

Well, maybe except for the goat cheese loaf.

I've been making this for years and it seems to be all over the net these days.

Potato and goats cheese loaf

1 x 4oz ro

*snip*

ese with feta and the spring onions with red onion.

This looks damn tasty. Keep in mind that you can make your own "self-rising" flour by adding baking powder and salt to AP flour.

1 cup (100 g) flour
1 teaspoon (3 g) baking powder
a pinch to ½ teaspoon (1 g or less) salt

This thread makes me want to buy a mixer now. I'd love to give these a try.

Well, maybe except for the goat cheese loaf.

FWIW, you can make most/all bread in a food processor in half the time with as good or better results. Or at least that's what Cooks Illustrated tells me. I haven't made any bread since I read the article...