Boxee Beta released to public!

Yes, there is.

:drool: Dream application.

Truthfully it sounds like the Boxee team was ex-Google developers with their "mission statement" and what they want to accomplish and how they accomplished it.

:drool: Dream application.

Truthfully it sounds like the Boxee team was ex-Google developers with their "mission statement" and what they want to accomplish and how they accomplished it.

It's pretty well done. Although I wonder what the final future is for the xbmc and boxee teams? Boxee seems to have a TON of VC. Im not so sure about the xbmc guys. I know its all FOSS but its kind of a strange bag.

I have a buddy who has a PS3 and bought an AppleTV. According to him, the UI for Boxee is much better than the PS3 (and that was the alpha UI, not the newest beta UI). If you actually keep all your movies and TV shows, Boxee's metadata scraping is shithot. As is its Pandora app. And its Netflix app. And a bunch of other cool apps, like Justin.tv.

Sounds bad ass. Does it play MKV files? Does it have HDMI out?

HDMI
Optical Audio
RCA Stereo Audio
WiFi (802.11n)
Ethernet
2 USB Ports
SD Cart Slot
RF Remote
QWERTY Keyboard

I like that! RF is cool, but to get it to work w/ my harmony 1000 I'm going to need an RF extender it looks like :/ $160

Okay I downloaded it for my Mac, I really like the layout. It will take some getting used to. Do they all ready sell that "box" I can't tell. I'm trying to read and ask questions all at the same time. Any one know how it works with HD formats? I DL quite a bit of HD movies w/ AC3 or DTS soundtracks. I wonder if I was to put some DTS HD or Doby True HD on it if it could handle it.

oh, you need an HTPC for this?
Yes, its an app that runs on Mac/linux/win
Sounds bad ass. Does it play MKV files? Does it have HDMI out?
The ATV, it doesn't support anything higher than 720p. Unless you grab the little PCI-E thing that dbzeag says works. But an ION chip is about the same price and better stats imo.
HDMI
Optical Audio
RCA Stereo Audio
WiFi (802.11n)
Ethernet
2 USB Ports
SD Cart Slot
RF Remote
QWERTY Keyboard

I like that! RF is cool, but to get it to work w/ my harmony 1000 I'm going to need an RF extender it looks like :/ $160
The RF extender won't help, as that just rebroadcasts IR. I don't think the 1000 supports Z-Wave devices, which it hopefully complys with. Do yourself a favor and get the 890. Much better remote. :p
Okay I downloaded it for my Mac, I really like the layout. It will take some getting used to. Do they all ready sell that "box" I can't tell. I'm trying to read and ask questions all at the same time. Any one know how it works with HD formats? I DL quite a bit of HD movies w/ AC3 or DTS soundtracks. I wonder if I was to put some DTS HD or Doby True HD on it if it could handle it.

The Boxee box isn't out yet. It will play just about anything you throw at it, other than Blu.

Cool thanks, As far as the remote I already have this one. I'm not just going to drop it for the 890. Which I heard they give as a replacement for the 1000 if it acts up. I think I could live w/ the two remotes if one was just for the boxxe. Also I don't see what makes it "better" than the 1000. I picked mine up off a buddy that had 3 of them for his house, and only used one.

oh

boxee

Code:
dieselgeek

Last edited:
Cool thanks, As far as the remote I already have this one. I'm not just going to drop it for the 890. Which I heard they give as a replacement for the 1000 if it acts up. I think I could live w/ the two remotes if one was just for the boxxe. Also I don't see what makes it "better" than the 1000. I picked mine up off a buddy that had 3 of them for his house, and only used one.

oh

boxee

Code:
dieselgeek

Got your invite, or whatever its called.

I owned the 1000, cause it looked really cool. I found its actual function to be HORRIBLY done. Waited for a deal on the 890, sold my 1000 on Ebay, and ended up making like $20. And like I said, the 890 supports Z-Wave devices, which the 1000 doesn't for some reason.