Hawt BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY! LET'S GO RACING, BOYS!!!

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,810
Steam
asastang
So, three weeks ago (or so) I finally went to the competition that is the reason we've been building this car for the past year or so.

Started off with a midnight packing and loading session to get our Bus-turned-RV and trailer loaded up, then we started driving around noon.

9r41x8P.jpg

Along the way, much work is done, as well as much sleep.
QnUlyTO.jpg

r9w3n5Z.jpg

O8bhJhh.jpg

q9iB6Kv.jpg

We got to our campsite next to Michigan International Speedway around... shit, 26? 30 hours later? Then we spent hours working on making sure the car was ready (setting basic toe, camber, and other suspension settings, inspecting to make sure everything passes tech inspection, etc), around 2AM we loaded the trailer back up and got maybe 5 or 6 hours sleeping before we headed over to the speedway.

NmdMqyq.jpg

Got over there, waited in line for a couple hours to get the trailer and bus into the paddock, then started working again. Mostly finalizing the stuff we weren't able to finish the night before. Then we got over to tech inspection, driver inspection, and passed through fairly easily.

From there we fueled and did the tilt test to make sure that there were no leaks, and the car couldn't roll when it experienced something like 2 or 3 G forces.
First test is taken up to 45 degrees, then the second is 60 degrees. These are done with the tallest driver to make sure the Center of Gravity is at it's highest. Our tallest driver was about 5'6" or so?
yskyP03.jpg

After that was exhaust testing, they make sure you don't exceed 110dBA at 19.5" from the exhaust exit while your engine is running at some certain RPM (our engine's speed is 7500RPM, the speed is determined by a certain piston speed I believe)

Then we did brake check, there they make sure that after accelerating for a certain distance you can lock up all 4 tires. We had a little trouble here for a variety of reasons. Finally were able to get them to lock up after resetting the weight bias of the car, changing the front/rear aero setup, and a couple other things (front were biting much much earlier than the rear)

Here's some pics of us setting up the car for that
xZYQY44.jpg

zkVaTLp.jpg

Finally we passed tech completely, then we got to the Design competition. Here you have your design leads get grilled by all sorts of judges from all sorts of places. One of our electrical system judges was from Tesla, had a guy from Ford I think, etc.

GJeVbwG.jpg

After that we got ready for fueling, basically sat in a long line and waited to get fuel for the next couple of events, while you're there you get to see some of the other cars (or if your team has had a bunch of testing done and you have your shit together properly, you get to wander around the paddock, but it's rare to find any team that doesn't have anything to do to prep)
DuDH5Il.jpg

sZ0jOG7.jpg

b5JLCWD.jpg

These guys had a CVT, thus the wing-motto
mQiH5mt.jpg

Auburn had a well put together car this year. I liked Univ of Florida's better as they are sponsored by Gulf, so they had the traditional Gulf colors on it and it really evoked thoughts of the Ford GT40 from the 60s with the Gulf livery. Was nice, unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it.
kBn6hwR.jpg

University of Hamburg had a glorious looking car, but I guess that's what you get when Audi sponsors you. Sounded so awesome. Unfortunately on the endurance section of the competition it ended up having a failure of the front left suspension A-arm and slid a good 75 yards or so. It's pretty damned scary seeing the speeds the better teams get up to, and seeing them fail.
tpvsk2d.jpg

NFXUIrj.jpg

It was cold as god damn. Wet as shit. Fuck Michigan
XCNlrDQ.jpg

8iKrvUk.jpg

Not sure who this goober was with. Other than Jeebus
YEdfNtq.jpg

Finally we were ready to go hit up the practice pad and see if we were setup properly
i5PYOXS.jpg

SxdiPYw.jpg

So we got out there and raced. Auto-cross went rather well, and set us up for a start in the top half of the cars for the endurance race. Unfortunately in trying to stiffen the rear-wing we went a little git'r'done and put a rod-end in buckling. About two laps in and the rod end snapped, so we lost downforce in the rear. Combined with the fact that someone in the first half of the day puked oil across half the track and the workers didn't clean it well, and we slid into the wall at about 5-10MPH.

The end-plates broke, the elements were fine, our steering clevis broke, and when the rod-end in the back broke the rear wing element slammed into the roll bar breaking that wing element. Additionally our muffler was slightly restrictive so the front end-cap blew out

Front wings
8CDyR5I.jpg

Clevis
v2Wm0Kt.jpg

Rear wing
tybw4Kc.jpg

Rod-end that broke
ELFhs15.jpg

Some blown out muff
BaVBNoa.jpg

Thus ended our performance in Michigan
So, we packed up, went to the awards ceremonies, etc. Afterwards we went and drank with a college that we've been friends with for several years (they are in Montreal, so they need testing space in early spring, we've hosted them a couple times.) They were drinking with the college that won first or second place overall
The trophy made a nice mug. It's too bad the beer they filled it with was shit.
zR7wtSy.jpg

So, we had a bad time with the accident during endurance. But at least we weren't R.I.T.
UCIXJT9.jpg

hgFGtXm.jpg

ooh4ZHp.jpg

HG4qO6x.jpg

Aerodynamics were a big thing this year, however Uni of Michigan, Ann Arbor went a little overboard.
ZBRRe2J.jpg

So, we got back on the road, went to stop at Kettering Uni in Flint and use their shop to rebuild some. I got fairly jealous of them while we were there. Huge shop that included a 4-post lift, CNC machine, dyno, etc. To top that off they use a trimester system, and every other trimester they spend taking no classes and working for Ford or Chevy, or some other large company working and getting paid as engineers. By the time they graduate they have 2.5 years of actual work experience.

While we were waiting for them to get out of class, we did some work in the parking lot
2NYoZnk.jpg

We started to try and fix the aero package. This involved a trip to Home Depot and a bandsaw.
777WLnl.jpg

DSzEiJj.jpg

Ultimately we realized we didn't have time to completely rebuild everything (rear wing was giving us fits,) so we stripped the wings, mounts, and changed the spring rates to accommodate running without them.
tE71MgC.jpg

wEUqtek.jpg

Then we went to Kitchener where we spent a day or two with Miltera, the makers of our steering rack. Great sponsors, they turned out replacement steering clevii for each corner of the car, all made out of Titanium as opposed to the 6061 we had used originally. They do amazing work, I'd love to have pictures and give more info, but they were working on stuff that they asked us not to take pics of. They've turned out stuff for LMP cars in the past though. http://www.miltera.com/what-weve-done.html
BKtRvw8.jpg

Then we went to Barrie, On for the Formula North competition. Very fun. Smaller, more intimate.

I'll finish this in a bit. I'm tired now.

It's a hell of a place for a racetrack. You're driving along in the Irish hills of Michigan on a little road looking at farm houses, corn fields, cow pastures, then out of nowhere a gigantic racetrack lol

It's a hell of a place for a racetrack. You're driving along in the Irish hills of Michigan on a little road looking at farm houses, corn fields, cow pastures, then out of nowhere a gigantic racetrack lol
This is very very true.
If you ever get a chance, stay the fuck away from the campgrounds just next door. Pretty, but god the showers and such suck.

This is very very true.
If you ever get a chance, stay the fuck away from the campgrounds just next door. Pretty, but god the showers and such suck.

Luckily I've never had to go the camping route when I've been there. I'm from north west OH originally so when I go there I just stay with family an hour or so away. Driving in and out of there sucks.

So, we got to Barrie. Stayed at a K.O.A. about 30 minutes away. Weather was absolutely glorious. They also had the paddock inside the local hockey rink
9SQwnse.jpg

We started lining up for tech inspection
bhObfoR.jpg

It's fairly rare (for some reason) to see other teams hiding their exhaust and radiator in side-pods. So seeing two teams doing that was neat. Iowa's car (the red one) was so like ours it was weird.
HQpritc.jpg

They also had some sexy 7075 A-arms. Personally I don't know that I would run them, but I guess they worked well enough.
Tg0F8bv.jpg

Pittsburgh also hid theirs in sidepods, they were going to run wings, but weren't able to get theirs setup properly for Michigan so they didnt.
P9Nk3t8.jpg

Their fan was fucking huge compared to ours, although in general they were carrying more weight.
FG30sbv.jpg

They were running the same calipers as we were.
5jjAQ92.jpg

Sheridan's wheels were sexy as fuck.
0qmfJJ5.jpg

E.T.S. (the team we drank with, and hosted) had some sexy as fuck toe and camber plates. They really have their shit together.
N3jUj8R.jpg

zwhYbUa.jpg

Doing random prep
5kGpArP.jpg

Chris walked around with this on his head for a solid 45 minutes.
yykc1LR.jpg

jhrLoWS.jpg

eAg6qfF.jpg

0lxatHi.jpg

Pj4bMhx.jpg

Draw me like one of your french girls... (doing toe-in adjustments)
ETRwWGo.jpg

cDVbShZ.jpg

I got caught adjusting
rXpMBxT.jpg

Design again
I0ItWPl.jpg

13EiMU0.jpg

QuNf07o.jpg

pTQTgCH.jpg

Cost report
EItODzk.jpg

I'm not sure why Daniel always has to look at the camera
ChS1Eo0.jpg

ChS1Eo0.jpg

Finally we got ready for the dynamic events and the practice pad
9vBAkj5.jpg

mZlw5ss.jpg

n6oZ7fP.jpg

l5PLxBT.jpg

EPohfnD.jpg

While we were waiting for our time to run, Claude the owner of Optimum G, came over and talked to us. He reminds me a good amount of Chuck, the guy who taught me wrenching. Guy has enough information and knowledge that it was pretty much always worth listening to. He also knows a lot of dirty jokes.
2BC7z7o.jpg

I think this was Sheridan. Not sure what happened here. I think that when they were braking the toe link broke and the wheel went to the limit of it's travel. From there there was too much force on the wheel and the a-arms yielded.
H5c6RY1.jpg

rqlNP8X.jpg

Finally it was time for us to run endurance.
0CXKs8T.jpg

We got out there, and we were doing pretty good. Endurance is roughly 20 kilometers, broken into 10 and 10 with a driver swap in between.
First driver was reporting hot temps. Hot as in 240 degrees oil temp. Our first driver actually got light second degree burns from where the exhaust ran behind his back. We kept going and pushing it. Got about halfway through the second half of endurance and we started seeing a good amount of smoke.
One of the bottom PCV hoses melted and then the engine started to spray some oil out. Right onto the header.
The GoPro footage shows a small amount of flame.
Driver did his egress and we got a full tank of extinguisher dumped on the car.

0j46mHE.jpg

cWVocWF.jpg

yYCixfs.jpg

If you see the Z-bar across the back, that's the firewall that the seat back rests against.
fgmonQ5.jpg

fgmonQ5.jpg

R3GMZ9P.jpg

RvKJNTw.jpg

Top hose up there is coolant
KCJAnaB.jpg

That hose is a fuel hose. :eek:
TapQ2Hg.jpg

Hose that melted
rAtQSsu.jpg

We finished up and packed up again, then kicked around a soccerball for a bit to unwind. Afterwards we got drunk
lBkj3d5.jpg

Then we left Canadia. They put me in charge of driving. Fools
YoqHm6m.jpg

Was going nicely. Got about 40 klicks from the border and the left front tire of the trailer let go
YbR3doW.jpg

Took a little nap while we waited for the guys in the blocker-car to go get this tire replaced (and replace the leaky tire valve on the spare tire)

Got back and went on down to oiho. Stopped at the only publicly available shaker rig that's designed to get CG of a vehicle, as well as all the I-moments, and all sorts of other interesting and useful stuff.
jXZkULH.jpg

Needed to even tape the driver's head to try and make sure there was no movement
c2CTAVp.jpg

gwh7kR3.jpg

I have a decent gif of the car rocking on the rig, but it's way way too damned big for me to post it anywhere. Anyone want to take it and drop it down to a manageble size?

After Ohio, we went to North Carolina, took a tour of Stewart Hoss racing (Nascar team, former teammate works there), then went to the next town over and visited B.M.R.S., the sponsor that helps us out with the hoses and wiring we use. They were interested in seeing the heat damage to their hoses, but were convinced they would have been fine at hotter temperatures
Ollie Brown, the shop dog/supervisor got a picture with us
e8NGJaX.jpg

After that, we got back on the road and I drove the last 6 hours or so back home (midway from Ga down to Tampa)

This thread crashed Chrome for me like 4 times. Congrats tho man. Looks like a ton of fun.

edit: How did you all decided who got to bang the chick?

This thread crashed Chrome for me like 4 times. Congrats tho man. Looks like a ton of fun.

edit: How did you all decided who got to bang the chick?

Yeah, I put in too many pictures. Prolly should have linked some of em.
Might go through and do that later

The blonde? She was dating someone when I joined, then around Christmas or so they broke up and Sam ran her down like a gazelle on the savannah. It was pretty impressive if you know Sam (boy is a textbook introvert, coming out of his shell though)