Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle =! the success of the PS3

Umm, to some extent, but not too much. For the most part it's less like one's a McLaren and the other is a Civc, and more like the Civic costs less than half what the Corolla does.

That may change -- but for right now it's not even a seperation, it's just the Wii and 360 dominating the PS3. The PS3s are stacking up in stores, the Wiis are selling out very fast, and the 360 sold 2 million units in November and December, breaking the 10 million unit mark.

How can you look at the engines and call it a Civic/Corolla comparison?

I always thought it was the reverse. The success of bluray was being hedged with the success of the ps3. That is, if the ps3 succeeds, it was almost guaranteed that bluray would also succeed.

I originally had a large response written for this going over what I think are the pros and cons here. If I get the energy again, I'll rewrite it. :(

I always thought it was the reverse. The success of bluray was being hedged with the success of the ps3. That is, if the ps3 succeeds, it was almost guaranteed that bluray would also succeed.

I originally had a large response written for this going over what I think are the pros and cons here. If I get the energy again, I'll rewrite it. :(

I can only hope that you do. I rely on you, theac, and Ry to keep me up to date on the interworkings and outlooks on technology.

I'm predicting the failure of both blu-ray and HD-DVD when everyone skips them and moves directly to digital delivery to set-top boxes and HTPC's. Come on fibre!

I'm predicting the failure of both blu-ray and HD-DVD when everyone skips them and moves directly to digital delivery to set-top boxes and HTPC's. Come on fibre!

Fibre will not be here that fast. Lot of places (me) dont even have DSL yet.

dsl has severe distance limitations, in that it simply won't work beyond a resonable distance from the CO. fibre just gets really expensive to install.

i keep checking the broadbandreports FIOS map. the bastards are installing it in the burbs but staying out of central fort worth and dallas. i'd hate to have to move to the sticks but i'm considering it.

Version and other telcos were supposed to be wiring PA for fiber back in 97. All they did was take the tax break money and run.

Same thing happened here and in Wisconsin. I think the university 'hood is wired for fibre and that's it.

Is the BR/HD-DVD battle a moot point now that LG has announced a combo player that will be out in Feb?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/07/lgs-bh100-hybrid-blu-ray-and-hd-dvd-player-1-199/

I understand why they do it, but just wish that they wouldn't. These fuckers just need to come together on a fucking standard. The only losers are consumers, who either pick the "wrong" technology or are stuck paying higher prices due to licensing of dual format players. Its total bullshit.

The thing that gets me is that the extra space doesn't have to be used to simply store HD movies. Instead, I'd rather just see it used to reduce multidisk sets down to a single disk. A season of my favorite TV show on a single disk would be awesome.