Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle =! the success of the PS3

Is the BR/HD-DVD battle a moot point now that LG has announced a combo player that will be out in Feb?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/07/lgs-bh100-hybrid-blu-ray-and-hd-dvd-player-1-199/

Nope. it still doesn't completely support the HD-DVD standard (it does not support iHD) and is not certified by the consortium to play disks. Basically it will play HD-DVD video but it doesn't support any of the interactive features capable on HD-DVD. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5670&ref=y

Whats likely to happen if LG advertises that it can play both they will get sued by the consortium.

The thing that gets me is that the extra space doesn't have to be used to simply store HD movies. Instead, I'd rather just see it used to reduce multidisk sets down to a single disk. A season of my favorite TV show on a single disk would be awesome.

That will never happen. They have done studies that show that people mentally accept a box set at say $100 because it has 8 disks vs the same content on 4 disks.

Yeah, I didn't know there were studies, but I"m not surprised by this at all. Bastards.

i'd like to see the studies. Because there is a large gap between what retailers believe and what the public thinks.

The thing that gets me is that the extra space doesn't have to be used to simply store HD movies. Instead, I'd rather just see it used to reduce multidisk sets down to a single disk. A season of my favorite TV show on a single disk would be awesome.

Blockbuster would bitch about that. Thats for sure.

Blockbuster would bitch about that. Thats for sure.

Actually, blockbuster might like it. Especially with the whole renting movies through the mail thing. They could probably start releasing "new release" specials that would be one disk with 4 of the new releases on it. Charge it out at 3 times the normal rate and people would feel like they are getting a deal.

Now.... that is also something I don't see Blockbuster having success with, but I think it would be a cool idea.

My predictions:

Console war: Xbox 360

Format war: HD-DVD

But guess what? DS Lite > *

:D

Why do you think the 360 will win out? The "middle of the road" logic? I'm not arguing your point by any means, I'm just curious was started that theory.

I'm trying to convince Kimie that I NEED a DS Lite for my b-day in Feb.

February 18th you Effers, send cash or hot Swedish girls that Kiwi will fall for.

The 360 does have a lot going for it. It is very fun and has relatively mature dev kits. It has also managed to hit the magical 10mil mark that has historically been a very good milestone.

I don't think it is all cut and dry, though. Sony may still pull a modest success out of the asses. And Nintendo has definitely learned how to create a hell of an RDF among their fans. I think they've taken some pages out of Apple's (or, at least, Steve Job's) handbook. But, complain about that as I could, it doesn't change the fact that even without any overblown praise, they have probably the most compelling product at the moment. Will be interesting to see how people feel about them several months in.

Actually, blockbuster might like it. Especially with the whole renting movies through the mail thing. They could probably start releasing "new release" specials that would be one disk with 4 of the new releases on it. Charge it out at 3 times the normal rate and people would feel like they are getting a deal.

Now.... that is also something I don't see Blockbuster having success with, but I think it would be a cool idea.

Why would they do that when they can keep on charging a rental on one disk in the set that contains 4 episodes out of 26? Sure they can charge more for all of it but theres still going to be a ton of people who can't justify paying 13 dollars to rent 26 episodes but will happily pay 5 dollars for 4.

Why would they do that when they can keep on charging a rental on one disk in the set that contains 4 episodes out of 26? Sure they can charge more for all of it but theres still going to be a ton of people who can't justify paying 13 dollars to rent 26 episodes but will happily pay 5 dollars for 4.

I wasn't talking about tv shows with that. Specifically, what I could see this being is a good way to bundle movies into a single rental. Give them the latest action flick attached with the latest romance movie for only half the extra cost, and you could get people renting movies they wouldn't ordinarily rent. You could also include holiday packs that would include 3 or 4 of the "best" holiday movies, including some that people like but don't rent as much as they used to, and you may sway them to rent them.

Make sense? I think it could be a great idea, but it would probably run counter to a lot of licensing problems.

It seems common sense to me. Its mentally easier to justify $100 for 8 discs, rather than for 1. Humans are dumb.

I was wondering who paid $100 for a TV show. All they have to do to keep it on multiple discs are add even more extras, which Ive never even watched in my life but eh.