Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle =! the success of the PS3

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Am I the only person in the entire world who is under the belief that the futures of the Blu-Ray format and the PS3 are not necessarily intertwined?

I've been poking around the net quite a bit today and every single thread, post, rumor, or whisper involving the PS3 inevitably mentions Blu-Ray, and vice-versa.

The PS3 is supposedly superior to every other system because it reads Blu-Ray. But why is that exactly? Because Blu-Ray can THEORETICALLY hold eleventy-trillion gigabytes of data? So then what stops game developers from simply releasing games on multiple, smaller format discs? Last I checked they've been doing that since CDs first became popular.

With Blu-Ray you can hold more movie content on a single disc than a standard DVD. Ok, but I honestly couldn't care less about watching 9 hours of Ben Affleck outakes on the Dare Devil BD special addition. Nor will my life change substantially if the disc makers were able to cram a Swahili dub version onto my BD copy of Condorman.

But what about picture quality? With Blu-Ray's available space you'll be able to see super-ultra-mega-ridiculous HD high quality. I'm going to be brutally honest here, high quality picture will not make a crappy movie into a good movie, ever. I'd rather watch an original VHS copy of Glory in its magnetic tape blurred goodness than an ultra-sharp Mila Jovich running helplessly around looking frantic and trying to be hardcore in UltraViolet. Honestly I can barely tell the difference between most HD feeds and SD feeds 90% of the time anyway.

And furthermore...oh wait, I forgot the other reasons why Blu-Ray has an awesome level rating of 12,000,000. Let's recap and see if I can get back on track:

Reason 1: A theoretical ton of space to do something.

Reason 2: ....

Most of you know that Kiwi and I purchased a Wii this last weekend, and I can honestly say that it's the first time I've been legimately "wowed" by something related to video games in a really long time. When we first got the Wii we were at Kiwi's parent's house, and something freaking amazing happened: her mother played a video game with us. Not only her mother; but her sisters, brother-in-laws, 2-year old daughter, husband, and father ALL sat down and played a video game together. Kiwi's mother is a long time anti-game fanatic. She thinks they're a waste of time, they rot kid's brains, and they kill people in Africa. But that night playing the Wii she actually sat in front of a video game and laughed while doing it (the game was Rayman Raving Rabbids, if you have the chance to play it I highly recommend it).

Purchasing a PS3 makes it game playing as usual. You sit with a controller in your hand move your thumbs around. It's not interactive, people don't like watching for extended periods of time, and it does nothing to inspire the non-gamer crowd to give it a try. But man, it's freaking Blu-Ray and stuff.

It's not about "people", it's about what the movie companies are going to support. Locally I see a lot more movies on Blu-Ray than HD-DVD and one they get the pressing plants set up it's going to be cheaper per unit to put stuff on one disc than three.

point 1: Their statement is more on the fact that theoretically textures wont have to be watered down, music wont have to be compressed, worlds can be the size of Long Island and so forth. In a cost deduction way I guess they would say to developers wise its cheaper to produce just one disk and will help in stopping potential damage in shipment.

point 2: People still will produce multiple disks for box sets and so forth. People think more disks are better, so although they can put 9 hours on one DVD no one ever will. Depending on how they wrote the specs and upload standards maybe people will do more with it. We never got past directors commentary with DVD because the standard was jacked up in translation because some of it was Japanese, Korean and Dutch and thus everyone does what they know works. (an example is the first run of MST3K disks, the robots are actually a subtitle file that refreshes 30 times a second. Its something DVD 'should' be able to do but a fair amount of players choked on it.)

Point 3: Sony is speculating that for the near future better picture quality will be achieved using normal Mpeg-2 because its well known and history shows how bad some early DVDs looked because mpeg-2 was still relatively new in 1997. It was shown a few years ago that Mpeg-2 could handle HD however I don't think they are accounting that with most codecs you just can't give it more bandwidth and expect it to look better (which is probably why some titles still look bad) I think they need to worry more about redoing masters to be suitable for HD instead of taking a master originally meant for DVD and cleaning it up alittle like most of the titles on both sides have been.

:heart:
I have no idea what you are talking about because the movies I see aren't even on DVD and I don't play console games. Very nice arguments, though, regardless.

:heart:

Have you gotten a PSP yet?

Nah, the PSP doesn't really offer much beyond portable movies and possible modibility. The DS Lite however....

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=39133

The Wii and PS3 are going after entirely different markets. Comparing them is like comparing a Honda and a WAW's McLaren.

How so? Every Sony fanboy on the internet is doing it. Why can't Wii supporters do it in reverse? HA HA!...do it backwards.

edit: I just realized how poorly my initial post was written. I apologize, I was really tired last night when I wrote it. I was hopped up on Nyquil by then as well.

Last edited:
The Wii and PS3 are going after entirely different markets. Comparing them is like comparing a Honda and a WAW's McLaren.

I got rid of the McLaren for a Zonda :cool:

Pagani_Zonda_F_32_3.jpg

Nah, the PSP doesn't really offer much beyond portable movies and possible modibility. The DS Lite however....

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=39133

How so? Every Sony fanboy on the internet is doing it. Why can't Wii supporters do it in reverse? HA HA!...do it backwards.

edit: I just realized how poorly my initial post was written. I apologize, I was really tired last night when I wrote it. I was hopped up on Nyquil by then as well.

Anyone that compares the two, on either side, is foolish. Look at the price points and the contents of the console. Both of those make it obvious to me that they are shooting for different markets. And most importantly, there is ROOM for both markets.

Anyone that compares the two, on either side, is foolish. Look at the price points and the contents of the console. Both of those make it obvious to me that they are shooting for different markets. And most importantly, there is ROOM for both markets.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!1

Umm, to some extent, but not too much. For the most part it's less like one's a McLaren and the other is a Civc, and more like the Civic costs less than half what the Corolla does.

That may change -- but for right now it's not even a seperation, it's just the Wii and 360 dominating the PS3. The PS3s are stacking up in stores, the Wiis are selling out very fast, and the 360 sold 2 million units in November and December, breaking the 10 million unit mark.