Bloggish thread: science and religion

There has been plenty of murder, rape, genocide, racism, theft and a myriad of other horrible things throughout history where religion was not a factor.

Yes, but then there has been all of that because of religion. If we nixed religion there would only be half of that negative stuff.

:run:

Yes, but then there has been all of that because of religion. If we nixed religion there would only be half of that negative stuff.

I don't know about half but we'd certainly get rid of some negative stuff. On the other hand we'd also lose a lot of charitable organizations and other positive things done in the name of religion.

But more importantly, we lose that freedom to let people believe in whatever they want to believe.

Although we wouldn't have wiccans anymore so maybe you do have a point....:fly:

Fill in the blanks are much more fun!

well yeah, but the point is that religion is not the only thing keeping the world from being a happy place

I don't know about half but we'd certainly get rid of some negative stuff. On the other hand we'd also lose a lot of charitable organizations and other positive things done in the name of religion.

But more importantly, we lose that freedom to let people believe in whatever they want to believe.

Although we wouldn't have wiccans anymore so maybe you do have a point....:fly:

You know, there are many charitable organizations that have nothing to do with religion. Additionally, you can have morals and upstanding citizens without religion. They don't corner the market on that. In fact, I propose (with no scientific polling) that if one was to take a cross-section of religious and non-religious people, the percentages of moral people would be the same.

I love this paraphrase thats quasi related: When people say that we need more religion in this country, what they really mean is that we need more police. :D

well yeah, but the point is that religion is not the only thing keeping the world from being a happy place

Of course it isnt, but it sure would be a great start!

well...i wonder about many policeman, too. i wonder what the mentality is of a majority of that profession. it does seem like many like the power trip...

You know, there are many charitable organizations that have nothing to do with religion. Additionally, you can have morals and upstanding citizens without religion. They don't corner the market on that. In fact, I propose (with no scientific polling) that if one was to take a cross-section of religious and non-religious people, the percentages of moral people would be the same.
agreed but you would still lose those people that do things because their religion says its the right thing to do.
I love this paraphrase thats quasi related: When people say that we need more religion in this country, what they really mean is that we need more police. :D
not sure i follow

I mean I think I do, y'know moral police and all...but what's the actual quote because it seems a little less profound than it should. :p
Of course it isnt, but it sure would be a great start!
how so? you're not going to get billions of people to give up their religion. you're not even going to get the couple hundred million people in this country to do so. religion will not die out on its own within our lifetimes unless you and I live to be a few hundred years old.

The only way to nix religion is to force it and then you have a situation far more dangerous and far worse than anything religion could bring about.

well...i wonder about many policeman, too. i wonder what the mentality is of a majority of that profession. it does seem like many like the power trip...

confirmation bias. we all grow up hearing about it, then we read one news story about a bad cop or get pulled over by one dick and suddenly all (sorry, "many" ) are on a power trip

Yet no one pays attention to the tens of thousands of cops out there doing their jobs every day without once going on a power trip.

Last edited:
confirmation bias. we all grow up hearing about it, then we read one news story about a bad cop or get pulled over by one dick and suddenly all (sorry, "many" ) are on a power trip
Yet no one pays attention to the tens of thousands of cops out there doing their jobs every day without once going on a power trip.

no, it's not from hearing about such. it's watching some policemen in action, knowing a few, and it's hearing stories from policemen i know. it's certainly not all of them -- probably not even most of them. but i'm sure that some people think it's a good way to obtain a bit of power...what makes them need it to the point of finding it in a profession?
i just wonder if there is a certain mentality that is common among cops, the way i wonder if there's a commonness that runs along people in many professions -- teachers, nurses, doctors, lawyers, engineers...it's not a bad thing, just a wonder. i'm always wondering about the workings of human beings. :fly:

agreed but you would still lose those people that do things because their religion says its the right thing to do. not sure i follow

You're suggesting that they wouldn't do these things otherwise. That does not speak well for those people...

I mean I think I do, y'know moral police and all...but what's the actual quote because it seems a little less profound than it should. :p how so? you're not going to get billions of people to give up their religion. you're not even going to get the couple hundred million people in this country to do so. religion will not die out on its own within our lifetimes unless you and I live to be a few hundred years old.

The only way to nix religion is to force it and then you have a situation far more dangerous and far worse than anything religion could bring about.

Religion will NEVER die. Ever. But that doesn't mean I can't wish for it!

no, it's not from hearing about such. it's watching some policemen in action, knowing a few, and it's hearing stories from policemen i know. it's certainly not all of them -- probably not even most of them. but i'm sure that some people think it's a good way to obtain a bit of power...what makes them need it to the point of finding it in a profession?
i just wonder if there is a certain mentality that is common among cops, the way i wonder if there's a commonness that runs along people in many professions -- teachers, nurses, doctors, lawyers, engineers...it's not a bad thing, just a wonder. i'm always wondering about the workings of human beings. :fly:

then it is the availability heuristic with a little confirmation bias sprinkled in for flavor. watching some in action, knowing a few and hearing stories about them still doesn't mean that such knowledge is in any way proportionally representative of the tens of thousands of cops in the country.

a gladwell article i read referenced a study that indicated a power distribution of "bad cops", meaning that a very small number had the largest number of infractions, thus rendering broad based initiatives to curb such behaviour (which always assume a normal distribution of negative behaviour) ineffective.

it's that same small number that you hear about which cast aspersions against the entire force. it's the same deal with muslim terrorists. and freaky montanans. there are very few that are actually freaky but those that are, boy howdy, are they ever.

Last edited:

Christianity (specifically Catholicism) brought about the Crusades
Belief in God (without religion) brought about the Holocaust
Atheism brought about the Red Terror

It doesn't matter if you have religion or not. Violence, etc. will always happen.

Christianity (specifically Catholicism) brought about the Crusades
Belief in God (without religion) brought about the Holocaust
Atheism brought about the Red Terror

It doesn't matter if you have religion or not. Violence, etc. will always happen.

I wasn't denying that.