Bloggish thread: science and religion

Wren

Flaccid Member
Oct 16, 2006
Marklar
₥0
The forum is complaining at me to post moar, so here goes.

I'm getting kind of sick of people insisting on folding together science and religion. They address completely different issues. For example, from Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate:

"The longest-standing right-wing opposition to the sciences of human nature comes from the religious sectors of the coalition, especially Christian Fundamentalism. Anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is certainly not going to believe in the evolution of the mind, and anyone who believes in an immaterial soul is certainly not going to believe that thought and feeling consist of information processing in the tissues of the brain." (p.128)

That's funny, because the bolded section describes exactly what I think.

To be fair, I think that many Christians don't think like I do and that it's fair to criticize them for wanting to stop science so that they can preserve morality. But that's just the other side of the same token -- it's another form of conflating religion and science. Also, I find the people who say that modern science waylays the need for God equally silly.

Science will study things that are observable and follow regular patterns. Religion will study things that are faith-based and allow for the work of supernatural. There is no reason for a rational person to not benefit from the work of both.

When school boards argue over teaching Creationism in science classrooms, or demand that evolution-endorsing textbooks come with warnings that it is "just a theory", that comes out of children coming home with the misguided idea that science has destroyed God. [Or sometimes just dumb parents.] It reflects a much deeper problem: that our kids memorize griploads of science-oid errata like the atomic number of potassium, and wrap their minds only around a few basic theories created by science; nobody teaches them what science actually is.

As a scientist and a religious man, I fear for the future of both disciplines.

What I truly fear above all else is the blind disregard for reason religious dogma can have upon humanity. Ideas can be changed but people will die for a belief. As a historian religion greatly turns me off due to its historical implications on human cultural evolution and the expansion of our understanding of our world. The at times unjustifiable and rash decisions made from narrow points of view scares me. The only true horror I know.

I gotta be stoned out of my fucking mind to get this philosphical...

I'm just saying, to this day, the atomic number of potassium plays a very important role in my life and I'd be lost if I didn't know it's atomic number was 19.

In my opinion, all science starts with wikipedia, all religion starts with google, but they both intermingle.

I have no issues with science and religion co-existing. It doesn't not have to be one or the other. Both have unexplainable areas that the other can help with.

I have no issues with science and religion co-existing. It doesn't not have to be one or the other. Both have unexplainable areas that the other can help with.

I think they are mutually exclusive. Science covers 'How', while religion covers 'Why'. One cannot replace the other, because they answer different questions.

What is the Christian explanation for dinosaurs?

Something along the lines of this picture.

badass4.jpg

badass4.jpg

Seriously though, the best explanation I have heard was "The scientist lied about the age of dinosaurs" and "evolutionist said millions of years because it fits in with what they believe".

Have they ever come out with an actual agreed upon reason for dinosaurs? I have heard it mentioned that Noah couldnt fit them on the boat :fly:.

Seriously though, the best explanation I have heard was "The scientist lied about the age of dinosaurs" and "evolutionist said millions of years because it fits in with what they believe".

Have they ever come out with an actual agreed upon reason for dinosaurs? I have heard it mentioned that Noah couldnt fit them on the boat :fly:.
false bones of giant creatures were planted in the earth by God to test your faith.

there's waaaay too many different churches to begin to answer that one. that's one explanation i heard though. don't remember where.

I have heard that one too.

Shouldn't there be an actual explanation though from "God" to the 40 something writers of the bible? You think when he was cluing them in on Genesis he would have said, "yeah I tried once before but they fucked it up so I killed em, dont fuck up". The problem is we didn't find out about dinosaurs until 1840's(?) and they had to cover their asses, IMO anyways.

When school boards argue over teaching Creationism in science classrooms, or demand that evolution-endorsing textbooks come with warnings that it is "just a theory", that comes out of children coming home with the misguided idea that science has destroyed God. [Or sometimes just dumb parents.] It reflects a much deeper problem: that our kids memorize griploads of science-oid errata like the atomic number of potassium, and wrap their minds only around a few basic theories created by science; nobody teaches them what science actually is.

YES

I am sick of this idea that intelligent design is a "theory", let alone a valid one.

false bones of giant creatures were planted in the earth by God to test your faith.

bingo

I counter that argument with the idea that it wasn't god who planted false bones but the Romulans. Hey, my belief is just as valid as theirs. :rolleyes:

630px-FSM_logo2.svg.png

Last edited:
What is the Christian explanation for dinosaurs?

Why the hell would the church have to explain dinosaurs?

badass4.jpg

:lol:

:lol:

I see no reason in the bible why dinosaurs couldn't have existed. This is the view taken by, frankly, every other Christian I know with some scientific literacy and two brain cells to rub together.

I hope no Christian actually said that to you.

Dinosaurs are like the question of Where did Cain's wife come from?

In the sense that I read that, in that it totally misses the point of the whole book in favor of inane daydreaming, yes.

Could God create something so heavy that even he couldn't lift it? etc.

Is that the churches official explanation?

The Pope believes in evolution. That's about as close as "the church" will get to one. I don't think it's high on their list of things to do.

there's waaaay too many different churches to begin to answer that one. that's one explanation i heard though. don't remember where.

Hopefully from someone on a shortbus ...

I have heard that one too.

Shouldn't there be an actual explanation though from "God" to the 40 something writers of the bible? You think when he was cluing them in on Genesis he would have said, "yeah I tried once before but they fucked it up so I killed em, dont fuck up". The problem is we didn't find out about dinosaurs until 1840's(?) and they had to cover their asses, IMO anyways.

I'm not even sure where you're going with this. You think God should have told us not to act as the immoral dinosaurs did? Are you talking about Noah and just being sarcastic?

For that matter, what criteria are you using to decide what's important enough to get into the bible?

bingo

I counter that argument with the idea that it wasn't god who planted false bones but the Romulans. Hey, my belief is just as valid as theirs. :rolleyes:

630px-FSM_logo2.svg.png

Umm, maybe not with all the implications of this post, but I think the main one, agreed.

Umm, maybe not with all the implications of this post, but I think the main one, agreed.

Point is that me saying aliens did everything that christians say god did is equally as valid. They have no more proof than I do. In fact, they have less. We have evidence that intelligent, space-faring life exists in our universe, we have one solid example. We have zero examples of anything supernatural. No god, no allah, no jehova, no vishnu, no goddess, no zeus, no psychics, no ghosts, no witches, no werewolves, no trolls, no fairies, no ogres. So the idea that all examples of the supernatural are just tricks of technology by an advanced species is ridiculous yet is actually more likely than the idea of a supernatural deity existing outside of the known laws of physics.

Last edited: