blockbuster picks bluray

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
wow, I didn't see this coming at all...anyone here own a bluray player? hd-dvd? both?
I have yet to buy either but I always think it sucks when Sony tries to monopolize a market...I was hoping bluray turned into a modern beta fiasco for sony...maybe the public will fight back still

http://www.kxmc.com/Entertainment/135293.asp

AP Exclusive: Blockbuster to favor Blu-ray high-definition discs over rival HD DVD format

LOS ANGELES (AP) Blockbuster will rent high-definition D-V-Ds only in the Blu-ray format in more than 14-hundred stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month.

That deals a major blow to the rival H-D D-V-D format.

The move being announced Monday could be the first step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new D-V-D players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and H-D titles in 250 stores since late last year. It's found that consumers choose Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time. A Blockbuster executive says consumers "are sending us a message." All major studios except one are releasing Films in Blu-ray.

The North American H-D DVD Promotional Group says Blockbuster's decision is shortsighted and skewed by the success of films released by Blu-ray studios in the first three months of the year.

they'll come crawling back to HD-DVD soon enough. It really jsut gives Netflix a one up on getting more customers if they offer both. Poor form on blockbusters part. I'm sure the Sony branded dump trucks full of money driven up to the blockbuster execs homes had no bearing what so ever on the decision

I think it needs to be looked at, how many HD-DVD players have been sold as compared to Blue Ray players (including PS3 of course). Sounds like a slam dunk to me for Blue Ray.

I think it needs to be looked at, how many HD-DVD players have been sold as compared to Blue Ray players (including PS3 of course). Sounds like a slam dunk to me for Blue Ray.

Eventually Wal-Mart will formally announce their support for HD-DVD at which point Blu-Ray will become another addition to Sony's list of "things that almost did something".

I care so little it's not even funny. Format wars are meaningless for those of us that don't give two hoohadillies about getting the ULTIMATE A/V EXPERIENCE RAWR so I'll sit back and wait until I can only find one type of disc on the market.

Honestly I don't really care either, I argue on the side of HD-DVD entirely because it makes the Sony camp so furious. :fly:

Honestly I don't really care either, I argue on the side of HD-DVD entirely because it makes the Sony camp so furious. :fly:

I care because Sony always tries to monopolize with proprietary bullshit...if bluray succeeds that will ultimately give Sony carte blanche to rape the consumer and that is obviously not good

I suspect this will be meaningless as manufacturers produce devices which can read either format. Remember the whole cd+r cd-r debate? Yeah me neither. This is like that.

I doubt either side will ever concede defeat. As long as they keep their movies on their format they can keep battling each other. The only on that loses is the consumer.

I doubt either side will ever concede defeat. As long as they keep their movies on their format they can keep battling each other. The only on that loses is the consumer.

Technically they'll lose when intelligent people refuse to buy either and just stick with DVD/internet distribution.

I haven't purchased a non-blank dvd in years so I could care less. Maybe if they would stop charging 25 to 30 bucks a movie I would buy more. Once the bargin bin at walmart is filled with new releases I will start buying again.