WTF Bladerunner arrested for shooting his girlfriend

also check out the food truck on 1, by the intersection of guilford. Then again, if you're that close, you could just go to the shell station which is supposdly unbeatable

The shell station has delicious braised lamb. I think it's their signature dish that was highlighted on the food channel. Route 1 is a little out of my reach since I work near the Rockville/Gaithersburg line, but it's a great place for ethnic cuisine. All the restaurant overflow from DC seems to have crept up 270 over the last 20 years.

from his affidavit:

The affidavit was read out in Pretoria magistrates court by the head of Pistorius' defense team, Barry Roux.
By about 2200 on February 13 we were in our bedroom. She was doing yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier.
I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm - a 9 mm Parabellum - underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.
During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013 I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realized someone was in the bathroom.
I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There were no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetics legs on, I have mobility on my stumps.
I believed someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9 mm pistol from underneath my bed.
On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.
I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realized that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.
It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window.
As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself.
I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet, we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.
I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to call the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance.
Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on the light. Reeva was not responding.
When I reached the bed, I realized that Reeva was not in the bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet.
I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and screamed for help.
I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must have then turned on the light. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.
I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander, who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.
I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to the hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down, Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.
I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva.
With the benefit of hindsight, I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering that I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved.
I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I had described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and the expert investigators will bear this out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-safrica-pistorius-affidavit-idUSBRE91I0OL20130219

from his affidavit:

The affidavit was read out in Pretoria magistrates court by the head of Pistorius' defense team, Barry Roux.
By about 2200 on February 13 we were in our bedroom. She was doing yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier.
I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm - a 9 mm Parabellum - underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.
During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013 I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realized someone was in the bathroom.
I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There were no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetics legs on, I have mobility on my stumps.
I believed someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9 mm pistol from underneath my bed.
On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.
I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realized that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.
It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window.
As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself.
I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet, we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.
I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to call the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance.
Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on the light. Reeva was not responding.
When I reached the bed, I realized that Reeva was not in the bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet.
I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and screamed for help.
I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must have then turned on the light. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.
I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander, who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.
I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to the hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down, Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.
I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva.
With the benefit of hindsight, I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering that I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved.
I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I had described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and the expert investigators will bear this out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-safrica-pistorius-affidavit-idUSBRE91I0OL20130219

Why didn't she say anything back while he was screaming her name?

Why didn't she say anything back while he was screaming her name?
I hear ya. IF - what he's saying is true, it could have all happened in a flash, like he blurted it out and then started firing. If she didn't know his state of mind was in the toilet part of the bathroom, with the door closed, possibly flushing the toilet, she could have been in a WTF moment & then bullets started through the door.

Im not saying that's what happened, just that the potential is there.

I hear ya. IF - what he's saying is true, it could have all happened in a flash, like he blurted it out and then started firing. If she didn't know his state of mind was in the toilet part of the bathroom, with the door closed, possibly flushing the toilet, she could have been in a WTF moment & then bullets started through the door.

Im not saying that's what happened, just that the potential is there.

that narrative was surprisingly lacking in lawyerspeak.

Guy could have been super freaked out because he didnt have his legs on and acted rashly thinking the danger was very great.

So are we to assume that burglars in South Africa routinely pause to use the can while robbing houses? Why the hell would he assume that a person in his bathroom was a burglar? What was being burgled, scented candles and a box of tidy-bowl?

So are we to assume that burglars in South Africa routinely pause to use the can while robbing houses? Why the hell would he assume that a person in his bathroom was a burglar? What was being burgled, scented candles and a box of tidy-bowl?

did you read the article? The open unbarred window is in the can, and contractors had left ladders around he said.

he thought the burglar came in through the bathroom window

lol. I imagine, that after he realized the bathroom window was open, the decision to use the gun came in less time than it took to read your post.

did you read the article? The open unbarred window is in the can, and contractors had left ladders around he said.

No, I didn't. I figured I'd just say something arbitrary and then wait for someone eager to prove me wrong to give me the info I wanted.

pZdA6Hk.jpg

South Africa also has a huge problem with crime's against whites that isn't common knowledge over here. While I'm not even remotely convinced given the couple's history, it does offer some doubt.

Are we to assume that people always think rationally when under extreme duress?