Pics Birthday photo's/new bedroom pics

You must be saving tons not paying for rent or utilities. Having power would be nice though. Maybe you can eventually rig some type of solar panel setup.

We can have electricity if we so choose (petrol generator) but I've never requested it be turned on, some lighting would be nice from time to time but we get by with head torches, lanterns and the occasional candle. Just last night me and the boyfriend were discussing having a solar panel rigged up to a battery so that we can have lighting.

No, I get that. I just didn't realize how marginal her lifestyle actually was.

The flip side of this is that I'd love to live off the grid somehow, but I always assumed it'd involve a Winnebago or something.

Very simple lifestyle but I don't believe I've ever been happier. There's something really weird about living so spartanly and it seems to make everything fun, interesting and good i.e. cold? Go out, find some wood on the street, bring it home, bandsaw it and make a fire in a wood burner. Sounds long winded and it takes a lot of energy but it's oddly satisfying. :) Also it's great being so self sufficient and I've learned a lot since I've been there about how to actually survive/live.
so you find stuff dumpster diving to assemble your rooms, you dumpster dive for food, you don't drive, AND you are working. You really must be rolling in dough now.

:D

No need to hang there, you can just move in! BYOB (bring your own boards)

Werd. Come over and make a room Jonny. ^__^
We couldn't live that way. There's no real kitchen facilities. Otherwise I'd be okay with it. Look at her giant bedroom. It's beautiful.

NME - Is your home in a crappy area?

Kitchen is a little problematic but workable. The best way I've found out is to have a kitchen bitch if you ever want to cook because the running water is two storeys down from the kitchen area so if you need anything washing etc. someone needs to go collect it. Bit of a pain.

Bit of a crappy area yes. Next to a red light district etc.
what'd they used to make at said abandoned factory?

Lace I believe. Nottingham is pretty famous for it's historical lace industry.
You look a lot less gross in these pics, Carys. Nice improvement.

I take it there is no running water there?

Yes there is.

We can have electricity if we so choose (petrol generator) but I've never requested it be turned on, some lighting would be nice from time to time but we get by with head torches, lanterns and the occasional candle. Just last night me and the boyfriend were discussing having a solar panel rigged up to a battery so that we can have lighting.

Very simple lifestyle but I don't believe I've ever been happier. There's something really weird about living so spartanly and it seems to make everything fun, interesting and good i.e. cold? Go out, find some wood on the street, bring it home, bandsaw it and make a fire in a wood burner. Sounds long winded and it takes a lot of energy but it's oddly satisfying. :) Also it's great being so self sufficient and I've learned a lot since I've been there about how to actually survive/live.

:D

Werd. Come over and make a room Jonny. ^__^

Kitchen is a little problematic but workable. The best way I've found out is to have a kitchen bitch if you ever want to cook because the running water is two storeys down from the kitchen area so if you need anything washing etc. someone needs to go collect it. Bit of a pain.

Bit of a crappy area yes. Next to a red light district etc.

Lace I believe. Nottingham is pretty famous for it's historical lace industry.

Yes there is.

Are you sure that the water is safe? Many industrial areas in Baltimore do not have drinkable water due to damaged pipes/contamination.

Also: why haven't the police come and tossed you out yet?

Are you sure that the water is safe? Many industrial areas in Baltimore do not have drinkable water due to damaged pipes/contamination.

Also: why haven't the police come and tossed you out yet?

Well the water goes through lead pipes which can be fairly dangerous but a large percentage of houses in the UK still have lead pipes so I wouldn't worry to much. Some of the people have lived there over a year and are doing just fine so *shrug*. I do occasionally have spates of buying mineral water and only using the tap warer for washing/cleaning etc.

Because it's completely legal (civil matter) so the police can't get involved unless there's a suspicion of criminal activity.

WTF? So there's no law against living on or in somebody else's property? Do abandoned buildings become public domain after a period of time?

Not a criminal law no. It's a civil matter of trespass which means it's the owner vs. the occupiers as opposed to R (the crown/prosecution service/police force) vs. occupiers as would be in a criminal case. :)

And if you live in an abandoned building for 12 years (and can prove you have lived there continually for 12 years) then it becomes your property. Don't know of this ever really happening though.

WTF? So there's no law against living on or in somebody else's property? Do abandoned buildings become public domain after a period of time?

I would assume that the laws are similar to the laws in America that protect squatters. I think the only thing that you need in the US is some evidence that you are living there via a utility bill.

Tramp given £2m Hampstead Heath plot after squatting on land for 20 years

Last updated at 08:55 24 May 2007

Home for Harry Hallowes is a rickety shack surrounded by junk.
Yet the 70-year-old Irish tramp is the unlikeliest of property millionaires.
He has become the proud owner of a prime plot of land on the edge of Hampstead Heath in North London - by claiming squatter's rights.
Because he has lived there longer than the 12 years required by law, he has been declared the legal owner by the Land Registry.

The plot near Highgate, which consists of a 90ft-square woodland area around the 12ft x 8ft shack, has been Mr Hallowes's home since 1986.

If it were sold with permission for housing, estate agents say it would fetch more than £2million. But Mr Hallowes says he has no intention of cashing in. Yesterday, after a visit to the shops with his plastic bag hanging from an umbrella slung across his shoulder, he asked: "Do I look like the type that would sell up and go jetting all over the world?

"I'm not into package holidays and all that other modern stuff where they bundle everyone up like a package and send them all over the place. It all sounds quite nauseating. I'm quite happy here with all my friends and all the nature.

"I'm pretty lazy if I'm honest. I do a bit of weightlifting and I chop wood for the fire. I don't much care what happens to the land after I'm gone as long as they keep the wildlife - I'm all for wildlife.

"If I write a will I will leave the land to the Royal Family. They are the last bastion of refinement and sophistication so they'd know what to do with it.

"But there are a lot of greedy people behind the scenes who would love to get their hands on this."

His grey hair stained yellow by smoke from his open fire, Mr Hallowes said the only changes he wanted to make were to have running water and electricity installed in his shack. "Water is a problem because I have to use my friends' taps in Highgate."

Over the years he has become a well-known figure in the community, surviving on food handouts and doing odd jobs, and his friends in the area include Monty Python star and film director Terry Gilliam.
Mr Hallowes now has the deeds to this plot

A spokesman for Gilliam said: "We are delighted by this. Harry is an amazing man, very intelligent, and Terry and his wife have done a lot to help him out over the years."

By a bizarre twist, it was an attempt to evict Mr Hallowes which led to him owning the land.
The squat is in the grounds of Athlone House nursing home which was sold to the property developers Dwyer International by Kensington and Chelsea Hospital NHS Trust.
The view: This is what Harry Hallowes sees from his shack

To gain planning permission for a block of 22 flats, worth £1million each, Dwyer agreed to donate a strip of woodland - which includes the tramp's half-acre - to the Corporation of London, which manages the adjoining heath.

Dwyer began proceedings to evict Mr Hallowes in March 2005 but dropped the case after his solicitors presented evidence that he had lived there for more than 12 years and could therefore not be removed.

Mr Hallowes is free to sell the land, but without planning permission to build housing it is unlikely that it would attract much attention. The Corporation of London said that the land had covenants attached preventing it from being developed.

A spokesman said the woodland, which is not open to the public, acts as a "buffer" between the heath and the development and that Mr Hallowes had always been welcome to stay there for the rest of his life.

But she added: "We are looking at the legal consequences of this. We hope that the land would pass over to us when Mr Hallowes is no longer there."

Mr Hallowes's case comes two years after George 'Rainbow' Weiss claimed squatters' rights on a flat in Hampstead which he later sold for £710,000.

Mr Weiss said: "I think it's quite magical that Harry has got his land, but I hope he uses it wiser than I did. I've squandered all my money."

Squatting doesn't work in the US because instead neat and tidy hipsters or even reasonable or resourceful hippies, we have violent drugs dealers/users inhabiting empty buildings.