Bill Maher v. Think Tanks

I thought that was pretty funny. I agree with most of what he said there.
edit: Thinktank made me think of that Star Trek Voyager episode. They don't work, even in scifi shows. :lol:

Last edited:
So? As though any thread on this board stays on topic? At least you're getting some discussion about similar subjects.

Fair enough and atleast it's civil.

SWITZERLAND 4 LYFE

I know you're being sarcastic and all, I'm just saying that I think it entirely unfair to try to compare the direct democracy of Switzerland to any other country. The electorate in this country is far far FAR too uneducated in political / international affairs to make any sort of educated decision while under mob mentality.

When I was in Switzerland with a bunch of other Americans they got rather irritated at bars, but it wasn't because of something specific someone said. They had gotten used to politics being a discussion area, but in Switzerland it was moreso than even the Netherlands or France. The people live and breathe international affairs, in fact one is seen to litterally be incompetent and looked down upon for not being up to par with the goings on throughout the world, a mentality that was shared in most of Europe.

In a state where the political efficacy is that high the possibilty of direct democracy is entirely feasible. However, the US can't even manage to get enough interest to get the Free State Project off the ground. The FSP only needs 20,000 people...and they've only managed to get 514 (as of today, October 30th).

That tells you how much people are truly interested in gaining truely Libertarian and direct democratic ideals. I love New Hampshire's policys on a vast majority of things. In fact, I've looked into the job market there since I've always wanted to live in the Northeast. Hell, I'd be willing to sign up for the FSP after I've finished my PhD and would have the potential for a job that would use it. However, in that regard, I'm most certainly the exception in this country.

Last edited:
I thought that was pretty funny. I agree with most of what he said there.
edit: Thinktank made me think of that Star Trek Voyager episode. They don't work, even in scifi shows. :lol:

:lol: yeah that's the first thing I thought of too

according to christie golden the doctor and 7 are in a starfleet thinktank now :o

I find it funny that his joke post prompted a 4 paragraph reply as though it were a counterpoint to his post.

Just sayin'

I guess that's a byproduct of me being a political science student. 4-6 paragraphs is a normal response even if I'm just having basic every day conversation. That and my family raised me under the mentality that if you could explain something in greater detail, but didn't because you thought you could say something simple and get away with it, you were being lazy.

Not that I'm calling everyone here lazy, I don't judge people based on whether or not they make a long reply or a short reply (well...some thing do really warrant indepth replies) but I do tend to prefer that people be verbose.

And there I go, I made that a lot longer than you probably cared to read.

:lol: yeah that's the first thing I thought of too

according to christie golden the doctor and 7 are in a starfleet thinktank now :o

That example was a Think Tank that used extortion, I mean come on.

Be fucking realistic. A bunch of PhD-holding professors aren't going to go force a coup in China so they can get paid millions of dollars to come up with some kind of policy plan. They get paid to write policy plans without the need for a precursor.

Bill Maher is an idiot. He's one of the most left wing liberals to ever come out of hollywood yet he pretends to be a libertarian.

Going along with his sexual metaphors at the end the idea that pulling out will solve anything is insane. You can't have your orgasm then pull out and expect her not to get royally pissed off for leaving her unsatisfied.

You know I never asked you, Do you like John Stewart?

That example was a Think Tank that used extortion, I mean come on.

Be fucking realistic. A bunch of PhD-holding professors aren't going to go force a coup in China so they can get paid millions of dollars to come up with some kind of policy plan. They get paid to write policy plans without the need for a precursor.
huh?

You referenced the Star Trek Voyager episode called Think Tank. That think tank existed by creating problems and then offering solutions.

if you're going to base an attack on an entire institution off some random TV show episode at the very least you could know what the fuck the episode was about.

You referenced the Star Trek Voyager episode called Think Tank. That think tank existed by creating problems and then offering solutions.

if you're going to base an attack on an entire institution off some random TV show episode at the very least you could know what the fuck the episode was about.

jesus christ I was just agreeing that THE WORD "THINKTANK" REMINDED ME OF THE FUCKING EPISODE NOT THE SITUATION PRESENTED WITHIN THE EPISODE ITSELF :lol:

jesus christ I was just agreeing that THE WORD "THINKTANK" REMINDED ME OF THE FUCKING EPISODE NOT THE SITUATION PRESENTED WITHIN THE EPISODE ITSELF :lol:

Well if you're going to reference, at least make the reference make sense. I've never seen the episode and had no idea what it was talking about, so I took the 10 seconds it took to Google it and find out what it was about. In less than a minute I found out that the reference made no sense.

I guess that's too much to ask?

I really do happen to love Switzerland. Gorgeous country full of nice, educated people, nice engineering industry, etc. I had a great time there. I've wanted to live there for a while now.

I really do happen to love Switzerland. Gorgeous country full of nice, educated people, nice engineering industry, etc. I had a great time there. I've wanted to live there for a while now.

Don't know if I could live in Zurich, they have a rather expensive garbage policy there. They wanted people to cut down on trash, both personally and business cutting down on packaging, and thus have implemented the Zuri-Sack.

It costs 5 francs (basically $4) and holds 35L. There's a fine of 90 francs if you throw out something that's not in a sack. Additionally, they have specific once a month days for throwing out cardboard and what not. The city has also padlocked all of the public refuse bins and severely limited the size of the opening to prohibit illegal dumping.

It's a bit drastic, and it wouldn't work in America unless there was a massive change from manufacturers on cutting down packaging and other stuff. However, to Zurich's defense, the city is damned clean. I can't make up my mind whether its a good or bad program.

Well if you're going to reference, at least make the reference make sense. I've never seen the episode and had no idea what it was talking about, so I took the 10 seconds it took to Google it and find out what it was about. In less than a minute I found out that the reference made no sense.

I guess that's too much to ask?

oh my frakking god, I didn't reference it. someone else did and I agreed that the WORD "thinktank" reminded me of the TITLE of the episode

that's it. nothing more. the episode itself was completely unimportant because I was refering to the fact that I thought about an episode that had george constanza in it

christ on a fucking cracker doodle you're almost as argumentative as I am :p

oh my frakking god, I didn't reference it. someone else did and I agreed that the WORD "thinktank" reminded me of the TITLE of the episode

that's it. nothing more. the episode itself was completely unimportant because I was refering to the fact that I thought about an episode that had george constanza in it

christ on a fucking cracker doodle you're almost as argumentative as I am :p

What did you expect when you decided to spar with a guy shooting for a PhD in Political Science with a concentration in International Relation / Security Studies?