BigDov Blog Thread

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
Yeah. Like you guys care anyway :lol:

I've been mia for a while now.... mainly due to work. No, scratch that. Definitely due to work.

Rewind time to Friday December the 16th- I'm having a meeting with my manager, we're going over the game plan for the next week, the next quarter, etc. then he shuts his door and tells me he has some news to fill me in on. Seeing as how he was a chief petty officer in the Navy, I ruled out the I'm-gay-I'm-coming-out-of-the-closet-finally story and sat in my chair and listened. He informed me that after the Christmas break, he'd be moving on to another department, and along with that, just wanted to let me know what I was going to have to pick up from him to keep things moving along. Uh-oh.

Long and the short of it, I've picked up a good 70% of what he was doing before, in addition to my own work that I was already doing. The only saving grace for me right now is that it's kinda slow this time of year around here, so I'm able to adjust a bit faster. I think.

I had a meeting with my new manager last week and he informed me that there's no immediate plans for a replacement, help for me, or anything, but at "some point" we'd talk about it. Oh, and no pay raise either. Neeeeat.

All is not doom and gloom though- the rising rivers around here haven't invaded my backyard yet, there is a possibility of a better and higher-paying job in a couple months and I'm still breathing, so I'm not doing all that bad.

Happy New Year!!!! :heart:

Niiice. It's so good to be reminded that I DON'T work at a place like that anymore (where good work is rewarded with more work). I just had my review recently, and on top of the raise they gave me I was told they were going to reduce my workload. :D

Yup, and here all this time I didn't think I did work for that kind of place. If I see that other job open up in a month or two, I'm jumping- I've already greased the skids with the hiring manager a bit (she and I go way back) AND it's 3 pay scales above my current wage AND it's way easier! A serious win-win for me if it all pans out.

BigDov said:
Yup, and here all this time I didn't think I did work for that kind of place. If I see that other job open up in a month or two, I'm jumping- I've already greased the skids with the hiring manager a bit (she and I go way back) AND it's 3 pay scales above my current wage AND it's way easier! A serious win-win for me if it all pans out.

So I guess having a good network really does pan out sometimes. Aside from w_a_w hooking up Ryo and theac I've never really heard of anyone actually getting a job that way.

Pandora said:
So I guess having a good network really does pan out sometimes. Aside from w_a_w hooking up Ryo and theac I've never really heard of anyone actually getting a job that way.

that's the only way i got jobs -- starting with the first, up until i moved to atlanta, where i didn't know anyone. granted, these were the petty jobs, not career ones, but i never knew it was so complicated to get a job. i woke up pretty quickly when i moved to atlanta a fresh grad and no one called me for two months. :eek:

People get too easily coerced into taking on more responsibility with no more pay or job title increase. If you're doing more work or are responsible for more things that can go wrong you should be getting paid more, period. If your employer isn't willing to do that then turn down the added responsibility. This doesn't mean you're a bad employee or lazy worker, it means you're looking out for your own interests, and if your prior performance is good you have nothing to worry about in the long run anyway.

speaking for pogosuzy, he's working 60 hour weeks now (yay mandatory, ahem, "strongly encouraged (be here or it's your ass)" overtime). i've been trying to think of stuff to rekindle the morale at his job, everyone seems so bitter right now. any ideas?

KNYTE said:
People get too easily coerced into taking on more responsibility with no more pay or job title increase. If you're doing more work or are responsible for more things that can go wrong you should be getting paid more, period. If your employer isn't willing to do that then turn down the added responsibility. This doesn't mean you're a bad employee or lazy worker, it means you're looking out for your own interests, and if your prior performance is good you have nothing to worry about in the long run anyway.

Excellent advice. I'll be sure to bring that up with my manager next time we speak.... I'm afraid it'll be seen as some sort of ultimatum (it's definitely NOT) because nobody ever stands up to management around here.

BigDov said:
Excellent advice. I'll be sure to bring that up with my manager next time we speak.... I'm afraid it'll be seen as some sort of ultimatum (it's definitely NOT) because nobody ever stands up to management around here.

I think people worldwide fear standing up management (I know I used to), but I wouldn't even call this type of situation as standing up to them. Employees get the idea put into their heads that extra/more responsibility is generally a good thing (even if they don't get paid for it) so they take it on no questions, asked assuming they will be rewarded in the long run/be the first on the list for the next promotion (which is of course not always the case). What I've realized over the last year is that the only thing this does is add stress to your job and take stress OFF of the people above you, without making it worth your while, which to me just doesn't seem fair.

Pandora said:
He'll letcha know the next time he logs in, in about 6 months.

Your wit and those thighs would look smashing in my bed, darling.

Maestro, something we can horizontal tango too my good man.