Big Pharma spends more on advertising than research & development

You should see street value to some of these drugs. People pay like 30-40 bucks for an Oxy 80... 15 bucks for Roxy 20's... 5 for xanax bars

funny thing is the people addicted to Oxy, cause its worse and more expensive then heroin :( After a couple of months these people look like they are homeless from a Rx drug, sad

well, I don't feel bad for people getting gouged on prices of illegally obtained drugs. not one bit. though, it does piss me off that someone can't smoke a joint to ease their pains and not have to get addicted to oxy. we all know the pharm companies are spending $$$$ to lobby against decriminalization of weed.

I have a few PhD friends who work in drug research who are paid buttons and shillings for the work they do.

If the work is there, they'll do it irrespective of renumeration. Science doesn't pay, however, despite the attraction.

well, I don't feel bad for people getting gouged on prices of illegally obtained drugs. not one bit. though, it does piss me off that someone can't smoke a joint to ease their pains and not have to get addicted to oxy. we all know the pharm companies are spending $$$$ to lobby against decriminalization of weed.

I was more or less making the point of how much money these people will spend on a single pill. I dont feel bad for them at all cause if they were cheaper they would just consume more. Each time I hear about someone starting to take them, within a month or two you dont even recognize them at first sight. Such a horrible drug...

I agree with the pot, obviously :fly: I smoke quite a bit more than I used to but I used to only smoke for "my" medical purposes... lack of sleep, back pain. Now I mainly smoke to kill time so I dont go out drinking :fly:

We do.

Can't think of anywhere else I'd go for cancer care.

uhhh, overall, we don't. iirc, were in the bottom 1/3 of industrialized nations for infant mortality and life expectancy. Additionally, we are #1 in spending per patient, spending as much as the next 5 countries combined. :clap:

The fact that ads are more important than science says waaay too much about the evils of capitalism.

uhhh, overall, we don't. iirc, were in the bottom 1/3 of industrialized nations for infant mortality and life expectancy. Additionally, we are #1 in spending per patient, spending as much as the next 5 countries combined. :clap:
I don't buy that those numbers are soley the fault of the healthcare industry.

If they are, then people are going to the wrong hospitals ;)

There's a lot of people out there having babies that shouldn't, and an AWFUL lot of people that abuse their bodies. More so than the rest of the so called industrialized nations.

I don't buy that those numbers are soley the fault of the healthcare industry.

If they are, then people are going to the wrong hospitals ;)

There's a lot of people out there having babies that shouldn't, and an AWFUL lot of people that abuse their bodies. More so than the rest of the so called industrialized nations.

I find it hard to believe that the baby and body abuse is strictly a problem here. Drug and alcohol abuse are practically required in Europe, look at polo for Christs sake. :fly:

That reminds me, I need to bring home some Relpax samples today. SchmilK went to refill his script last night and he only had 1 pill left, and that one pill cost $20 (with insurance). It's $50 for 6 pills. The mind boggles.

All I know is that $178 for 32 doses of Prevacid is ridiculous.

That sucks for me too. I can't live without some type of extended release antacid. My mom gets samples of aciphex/prevacid/protonix from her doctor on a regular basis. I find it interesting that she can get her prescription filled for 20 bucks yet still asks the doctor for samples.

Mmmm baked ziti from Maggianno's from a drug rep today.

I guess considering how much the script copays are, there really isn't such a thing as a free lunch :lol:

You know, it's not only that but the honorariums they pay physicians for giving peer talks on their products. Not only do they buy a fancy dinner for all attendees but a single lecture can pay the speaking physician $2500-4000. We even have a couple of docs who get flown all across the world for talks, and their airfare, hotels, food, everything gets paid for on top of that honorarium. Doctors make more money speaking than they do seeing patients.
it's a corrupting influence.