Beware our Fast Food Culture

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
Where in the last few decades has quantity become an acceptable substitute for quality? We don't try as a society anymore. We don't build the quality products anymore because we just say it's so cheap to replace something that it's acceptable that it breaks after a few months, weeks, or days of use. Where is the products like my moms 13-year-old microwave oven that still works fine? Instead we have the game stations that die after a few months. Don't support the shoddy made products just to save 5 dollars. Make the manufactures start producing quality products again.

Also why don't we try to build anything lasting anymore? Is it because we are so use to change that we've come to expect it? We build new building out of cinder block and pressed stryophone instead of marvelous wonders of architecture brilliance out of marble and quartz. We assume that the new food place is only going to last 5 to 10 years max so we don't even try to build lasting structures. Due to this our cities are littered with half filled strip malls and the beautiful trees and oasis of nature are vanishing.

What types of world are we leaving are children and how is our reckless ways affecting them already? ADD and other attention span disorders are diagnosed in more children than ever and at younger ages. We know this is due to us always being on the run and them spending often more quality time with their TV than their parents but things still don't change. Norman Rockwell's happy American dream is dead and has been replaced by a high tech world full of automatic computer phone support and 99-cent menus.

What can we do to fix the direction we are heading in? We can't pull away from the positive enhancements technology has made on our society such as better communications and the ability to learn more than ever before. We as adults have to take responsibility for the world growing around us and try to moderate the new high tech super fast society with some old fashion morals and quality family time. Turn off your playstation and spend some time just playing with play dough with your kids. Instead of the fast food gobbled on the way home to get in font of your favorite show, turn the TV off and hang out in the backyard grilling out tossing a ball around talking about everyone’s day. Visit the library, a museum, or a zoo instead of seeing 5-second gifs of them on a web page. A computer screen is never equal to the sights and smells of a real experience. Live life slower when you have the chance because we are responsible for training our kids to be the adults of tomorrow and caretakers of the fragile world we leave behind.

I'm with you 100%- I've turned away from the movies, computer and TV as much as possible wiht my kids, and it's tough to do too. But we go to the zoo as often as possible, go to the park, play in the backyard, ride bikes together, whatever, as much as possible. Much more quality time than gathering around the boob tube with 'em anyway.

We spent yesterday as a family at a prak feeding ducks and when we got home in the evening I spent hours playing with play dough with my son. We all were happier than we've been in a while. It's hard with our hectic schedules but it makes a difference doing stuff like that.

I try to buy only quality products. Some are impossible, like cars. I can still start my rusty DeSoto that's been sitting outside for 40 years, but if you tried that with a modern car it would never work.

But they are EXPENSIVE (quality products) for example, homes. A stick-built house, depending on where you are could be $70-$150 or more per square foot. A post and beam house, which would be much more durable and architecturally pleasing is easily twice that if not more.

We'll never be able to take a step back from the life we're living now because it's too comfortable and easy, add that to almost every human being selfish deep down and you'll quickly find nobody's willing to give up the good life and pay an extra dollar to better the world. But I'm just speaking about your country, I think if our government was like "Yo slow down and be good" we'd try as a nation to do that, I have no faith that America would, too much political bullshit going on there that means your country sucks. Sry.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I try to buy only quality products. Some are impossible, like cars. I can still start my rusty DeSoto that's been sitting outside for 40 years, but if you tried that with a modern car it would never work.

But they are EXPENSIVE (quality products) for example, homes. A stick-built house, depending on where you are could be $70-$150 or more per square foot. A post and beam house, which would be much more durable and architecturally pleasing is easily twice that if not more.
Its impossible to build a home now with real wood subfloors, everything is either plywood or OSB. The cost of wood is too high. Plus, most homes built up here use bildrite as the external sheathing instead of plywood, a wood pulp material. You could practically punch a hole through the wall if you really wanted to.

We watch TV together after eating Mcdonalds, does that count as family time?

Nemo said:
We'll never be able to take a step back from the life we're living now because it's too comfortable and easy, add that to almost every human being selfish deep down and you'll quickly find nobody's willing to give up the good life and pay an extra dollar to better the world. But I'm just speaking about your country, I think if our government was like "Yo slow down and be good" we'd try as a nation to do that, I have no faith that America would, too much political bullshit going on there that means your country sucks. Sry.
Our country doesn't suck, our government sucks.

So does yours from my perspective, but I don't live there so I don't complain :D

My in laws are well off and always spend a few dollars more on everything and you can tell it. It makes such a difference. My wife and I try to do that whenever we have to replace something.

As for the house, I totally agree. We have to stop building these subdivisions that the only way you can tell your neighbors house from your own is due to the color of it. Everytime a hurricane or tornado comes along those are the same people on tv bitching becuase their prefab house blew away.

smileynev said:
Its impossible to build a home now with real wood subfloors, everything is either plywood or OSB. The cost of wood is too high. Plus, most homes built up here use bildrite as the external sheathing instead of plywood, a wood pulp material. You could practically punch a hole through the wall if you really wanted to.
Yeah, most of the homes in MA / NH are built with that shitty chip-board crap, mine wasn't - one of our builder's few saving graces was his refusal to use that stuff.

My new house is all real wood :D

Our contractor busted a hole in the kitchen cieling, so we could see what it was like underneath (now that it has to be replaced) turns out there was drywall and plywood OVER lathe strip + plaster :mad: we could've gotten a TON more money from insurance if the previous people had left it as lathe and plaster.

The GOOD thing is, underneath is all nice exposed beams and the hemlock flooring from above :drool: so we'll probably have that as the cieling and gain about a foot of height

ChikkenNoodul said:
Our country doesn't suck, our government sucks.

So does yours from my perspective, but I don't live there so I don't complain :D

Your country is run by your government, so by proxy your country sucks. And if everybody in your country was all environment friendly and hey lets not be fat slobs then your government wouldn't be there, someone with a better attitude would be, right? So it's kinda safe to assume your country doesn't mind too much that their country is the biggest polluter on earth, that a ton of now widespread problems in society all start in America etc. etc.

Atleast we're willing to cut back on certain things for the greater good. You might wanna keep 99% of all your money but most Britons will give a lot of their money to the government to be spent on free healthcare etc. for everybody. I'd hate living in your country, you'd hate living in mine, and yours suck worse than mine. Now lets agree to disagree. :D

b_sinning said:
My in laws are well off and always spend a few dollars more on everything and you can tell it. It makes such a difference. My wife and I try to do that whenever we have to replace something.

As for the house, I totally agree. We have to stop building these subdivisions that the only way you can tell your neighbors house from your own is due to the color of it. Everytime a hurricane or tornado comes along those are the same people on tv bitching becuase their prefab house blew away.
I hate those cookie-cutter housing developments.

One thing I've learned, is that you can ALWAYS spend more on something :D You have to carefully analyze whether the extra cost is longevity or just for showiness in many cases

Nemo said:
Your country is run by your government, so by proxy your country sucks. And if everybody in your country was all environment friendly and hey lets not be fat slobs then your government wouldn't be there, someone with a better attitude would be, right? So it's kinda safe to assume your country doesn't mind too much that their country is the biggest polluter on earth, that a ton of now widespread problems in society all start in America etc. etc.

Atleast we're willing to cut back on certain things for the greater good. You might wanna keep 99% of all your money but most Britons will give a lot of their money to the government to be spent on free healthcare etc. for everybody. I'd hate living in your country, you'd hate living in mine, and yours suck worse than mine. Now lets agree to disagree. :D
I'd be happy with keeping more than 60% of my money missy :lol:

I think I have a much better idea of how to spend my money than the government does, there's too much waste.

The government as it stands, exists for itself and NOT the people.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'd be happy with keeping more than 60% of my money missy :lol:

I think I have a much better idea of how to spend my money than the government does, there's too much waste.

The government as it stands, exists for itself and NOT the people.

Yeah your government. We love funding our governments fetish for hookers and penthouses. :drool:

poor quality and crappy craftsmanship is driven by corperate dumbassery
They try to squeeze every penny they can out of whatever they happen to be making at the expense of quality. Why use 20$ a sheet plywood when they can use 4$ a sheet chip board? Why put hurricane clips on every rafter when they can put them on every 3rd rafter? Why use the good 15$ a gallon interior paints when they can spray on the 5$ a gallon stuff?
Why?
$$$
Thats why. No other reason.
Very few people do anything anymore out of pride, or love.
Its all about the money and that makes me sad.

Nemo said:
We all suck.
The world sucks.
A comet will hit earth and put us out our misery.
Our badly made houses will explode and burn because we're too cheap to get good quiality shit.
End.

ahahah. my house isn't made badly and comets are cool. i'm going to go get some mc donalds now. later!