Beware our Fast Food Culture

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well I did when I was in Scotland :D

I drove my wife nuts, wanting to stop at every pub we passed and trying every different beer or cask ale I found

:lol: The oldest pub in Britain is next to Nottm castle, it's pretty cool. You get all sorts of awesome local beers everywhere though, it's amazing. :D

MMMMMmmmm Beer....:D

Cliffs..
Life is going going down the sh*tter..
quality is a distent past idea...
when the world ends we'll all be buying daily disposale shoes and clothes... i can see the future..:)

There's a lot of truth to that.

One big issue where I'm concerned is the increasing diagnosis of ADHD given to kids. I was diagnosed with it, yes, waaaay back in the age of dinosaurs :D but at that time it wasn't at all a common thing. I have no doubt that my sons could easily be diagnosed with ADHD, but I damned well will not see them put on medication when all they need is for someone to take the time to settle them down, and their teachers do, for which I am extremely thankful. It seems that kids are being given this diagnosis and medicated for it because no one can or will take the time with them that they need.

DW said:
There's a lot of truth to that.

One big issue where I'm concerned is the increasing diagnosis of ADHD given to kids. I was diagnosed with it, yes, waaaay back in the age of dinosaurs :D but at that time it wasn't at all a common thing. I have no doubt that my sons could easily be diagnosed with ADHD, but I damned well will not see them put on medication when all they need is for someone to take the time to settle them down, and their teachers do, for which I am extremely thankful. It seems that kids are being given this diagnosis and medicated for it because no one can or will take the time with them that they need.

*ding!*ding!*ding!*

You're exactly right..... no one wants to take responsibility for their kids any more, take responsibility for their education, upbringing, whatever and that's what we get out of it. I'm sure if my parents had slacked a bit when I was younger, I could have been diagnosed with ADHD as well...... hell, probably still could for that matter. I refuse to let some prick fucking doctor tell me any kid of mine needs medicine for what a little attention and guidance will cure.

:heart:

BigDov said:
*ding!*ding!*ding!*

You're exactly right..... no one wants to take responsibility for their kids any more, take responsibility for their education, upbringing, whatever and that's what we get out of it. I'm sure if my parents had slacked a bit when I was younger, I could have been diagnosed with ADHD as well...... hell, probably still could for that matter. I refuse to let some prick fucking doctor tell me any kid of mine needs medicine for what a little attention and guidance will cure.

:heart:

You got it :heart:

I know there are genuine cases of ADHD. If my boys couldn't sit still and pay attention to anything I could see treatment, but I've seen both of them sit still (well, pretty still) to read something that they enjoy for an hour or more. My older son (age 13) will study animals and draw pictures of animals for hours at a time if no one interrrupts. My younger son will build some pretty intricate things with his Legos, taking an hour or more, and he can pay attention to what he's doing in the kitchen long enough to make some pretty darned good brownies, except for putting them in the oven and taking them out he does it all himself. I don't think that's too bad considering he's 9 years old :cool:

DW said:
You got it :heart:

I know there are genuine cases of ADHD. If my boys couldn't sit still and pay attention to anything I could see treatment, but I've seen both of them sit still (well, pretty still) to read something that they enjoy for an hour or more. My older son (age 13) will study animals and draw pictures of animals for hours at a time if no one interrrupts. My younger son will build some pretty intricate things with his Legos, taking an hour or more, and he can pay attention to what he's doing in the kitchen long enough to make some pretty darned good brownies, except for putting them in the oven and taking them out he does it all himself. I don't think that's too bad considering he's 9 years old :cool:

I think I have ADD, even if its acute. I can't sit still doing nothing for long and my mind really does feel like a television. I can concentrate on reading though, just nothing academically. Like when I'm in an exam and I see a long question which has like 10marks I'll miss it because if I did it it'd mean repeating myself and that's just so boring and I'd have to concentrate. Maybe I'm dumb and lazy instead of having ADD though. :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
I hate those cookie-cutter housing developments.

One thing I've learned, is that you can ALWAYS spend more on something :D You have to carefully analyze whether the extra cost is longevity or just for showiness in many cases

Yeah that's why theac and I bought an older home that just needed a little tlc. If we had bought a newer cookie-cutter home we probably would have had to spend just as much to fix it up how we wanted it. I've heard soooo many horrer stories about the 'shortcuts' builders take on those homes. Plus with so many new developments they strip the land of all trees and plants. It's so invasive looking, barren and depressing. Our neighborhood has LOTSA big old trees. It's great!

Nemo said:
I think I have ADD, even if its acute. I can't sit still doing nothing for long and my mind really does feel like a television. I can concentrate on reading though, just nothing academically. Like when I'm in an exam and I see a long question which has like 10marks I'll miss it because if I did it it'd mean repeating myself and that's just so boring and I'd have to concentrate. Maybe I'm dumb and lazy instead of having ADD though. :D

Any person who likes reading like you do can't have true ADHD, and you certainly aren't dumb, maaaaaaybe just a bit lazy :p

BTW, over the weekend I got "The Lake House" from the library and read it, it was good :cool:

DW said:
Any person who likes reading like you do can't have true ADHD, and you certainly aren't dumb, maaaaaaybe just a bit lazy :p

BTW, over the weekend I got "The Lake House" from the library and read it, it was good :cool:

I know people with ADD who read, just not as fast as me. :fly:

I went to the library today in search of buddhism books (as you do) and saw it on a shelf and thought of you. :D

Nemo said:
I know people with ADD who read, just not as fast as me. :fly:

I went to the library today in search of buddhism books (as you do) and saw it on a shelf and thought of you. :D

Yeah, I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia, but I managed to learn to read faster than anyone I know except my daughter :cool:

I still think that my "ADD" was more a matter of perception than reality (the dyslexia is another matter), and just needed someone to take the time to teach me. My father actually sat down with me and taught me to read before I started school, or my teachers would probably have been calling him about my "learning disability" :eek:

DW said:
Yeah, I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia, but I managed to learn to read faster than anyone I know except my daughter :cool:

I still think that my "ADD" was more a matter of perception than reality (the dyslexia is another matter), and just needed someone to take the time to teach me. My father actually sat down with me and taught me to read before I started school, or my teachers would probably have been calling him about my "learning disability" :eek:

Well yeah my dad taught me to read big novels by the age of like 10 or 11 and I can sit with a book for a few hours now but anywhere but home I have no patience with anything. :eek:

Nemo said:
Well yeah my dad taught me to read big novels by the age of like 10 or 11 and I can sit with a book for a few hours now but anywhere but home I have no patience with anything. :eek:

I guess by that definition I was never truly ADHD because I was way ahead of the curve in reading........ I had a college level reading and comprehension when I was in the 4th grade. Didn't mean that I liked paying any more attention in class than I did tho :lol: