Best way to delete user accounts and keep their email

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
I want to clean up a few old user accounts on our windows small business server network, but I need to keep their email in case it pertains to a project that we need to review for legal reasons. Is there any particularly good way to do this? We're using Small business server 2003 R2. The email client is Outlook using the Exchange system built into SBS.

Just disable the account in AD and move them to a separate folder specifically for containing the retired accounts.

I want to clean up a few old user accounts on our windows small business server network, but I need to keep their email in case it pertains to a project that we need to review for legal reasons. Is there any particularly good way to do this? We're using Small business server 2003 R2. The email client is Outlook using the Exchange system built into SBS.

I agree with Duke's answer or just unmap the mailbox from the account and blast the account. If you have the exchange admin snap in for AD I thought it would prompt you about deleting the mailbox if you deleted the account.

i don't deal with AD directly, it's all through sbs's interface which is different. it does allow me to disable a user account though, so that's what i did.

since we're only half-assing this there's still a .pst on the users former computer that i need to put somewhere safe (it has all email older than six months... only the new stuff is in the .ost and exchange) but the main thing was to be sure former employees aren't logging in.

put the saved .pst from the users computer, as well as their live mailbox on a cd/DVD/whatever...

its part of my buddies job for everyone fired at our company (10k+ people), has to hold all of their email for sarbanes oxley reasons for 5 years or something. hard drives too. if you're a private business, you wont have to fuck with that.

I just had a user leave last week. I disabled his account, changed the password, and gave proxy rights to his director so she can read any emails.

In my experience, I've seen lawsuits pertaining to forwarding emails to someone other than the intended recipient, regardless of whether or not it's corporate email. Check your privacy rights and acceptable use policy regarding internet and email. Seriously, you don't want to have to testify in court.

hmmmm, interesting. we don't have an AUP for email. i guess we should create one for this specific purpose, so they know we'll be forwarding it after they leave.