best movie I've seen in a long time

Bubbles said:
The only way I'm going to survive is by cutting corners here and there:

1. No more showers - save on water and all personal clensing products
2. No more flushing the toilet - save on water
3. Start dumpster diving at the local market - save on all food products (expiration dates are just a suggestion)
4. Walk - save on gas and insurance
5. Turn off cable - reading is fun
6. Turn off cell phone - no one ever calls me anyway

Anyhting I missed?
Wait, wait, wait. You have a cell phone and cable, but no car insurance?

why_ask_why said:
iirc you are only about $2k above the poverty line so tell your step dad to stick that shit up his ass next time he says plenty of people survive on 1/2 of what you make

edit:and chikken is right on the money with the tax breaks, which you obviously don't get
Depending where you live, it's quite possible to live more comfortably with less effort making jack shit than it is to work harder and scrape by without some form of Govt. assistance.

fly said:
Can I seriously ask you how much you make?

edit: was this covered already?

<$20,000

theacoustician said:
Wait, wait, wait. You have a cell phone and cable, but no car insurance?

I am a young, white female who lives alone in an "ok" part of town. The hotel next to me has regular petty drug deals going on at all hours that I can watch from my bedroom window. There is no way in hell I am going without a phone.

If I don't pay for cable or internet, I will be leaving my house to drink every night. Seems worth the trade off.

Bubbles said:
<$20,000

I am a young, white female who lives alone in an "ok" part of town. The hotel next to me has regular petty drug deals going on at all hours that I can watch from my bedroom window. There is no way in hell I am going without a phone.

If I don't pay for cable or internet, I will be leaving my house to drink every night. Seems worth the trade off.
Wow. Simply wow.

Bubbles said:

I have figured out a way for you to make some extra money. Don't worry, it doesn't involve drugs.

theacoustician said:
It depends, how much of it do you actually want to hear?

Call elpmis and relay your message to him, and then tell him to interpret it and post it in this thread please.

theacoustician said:
It depends, how much of it do you actually want to hear?

You expect me to live without the lifeline of a phone? And I have gone without a television for years and everynight I would sit in a bar sipping on one drink and watching the tvs because it was too boring to be at home. I'f I'm paying rent, I might as well spend time in my house. I understand that you may feel other things are more important, but I know myself and going without these two "luxuries" is not an option.

Bubbles said:
You expect me to live without the lifeline of a phone? And I have gone without a television for years and everynight I would sit in a bar sipping on one drink and watching the tvs because it was too boring to be at home. I'f I'm paying rent, I might as well spend time in my house. I understand that you may feel other things are more important, but I know myself and going without these two "luxuries" is not an option.
Actually, if your cell is your only phone, then that's ok. I'd move to pre-paid instead of a monthly contract though. That way you buy as many minutes as you can afford in a given month. 911 is always a free call, so even if you can't pay it some month, you aren't SOL.

As for the "I need to watch TV or I'm going to a bar" thing ... you could always 1. get a night job 2. read 3. watch over-the-air broadcasts 4. volunteer or a million other activities to keep you occupied that are either free or help you bring in more cash rather than spending it.

Bubbles said:
Yesssssss......you're going to pay me to come show you my roast beef wallet, right?!!?!?!!!

Nope, I'm going to NOT pay you to show it to those drug dealers. THEY will pay you. Eh? Ingenious, yes?

bubbles, we'll just ahve to talk sometime. i hear all what you're saying and all that theac wants to say. you do have to have a balance, but what I'M worried about the most is that you aren't doing anything to help your situation. i think the number one thing that you could do right now is look for a better job. i think it's just great that you got out on your own. this is the next step. it takes time to build up your life, but it does take some work on your part, too. remember that this should just be temporary, whether it's your apartment, or no cable, or working two jobs...you can take steps that aren't necessarily the most desirable to get where you want to go. and sarcasmo's suggestion is not bad...you can have a great social life while bartending or something..you meet people, you can have a drink, there's tv, and action...that would keep you busy and would take away the need for cable. if you're paying $60 a month for tv, you could cancel that, pay $10 a month for netflix, work a night job where you get out and interact AND make some money...you're cute and would do well at a bartending job, i'm betting.
i wouldn't be without a phone, either, anymore. not being a girl. and no one is oging to change my mind about that. but what you HAVE on your phone can be changed. are you using your phone excessively? do you have loaded features you pay for? are you on the most basic plan you can be on?
and with car insurance -- make sure you have coverage you need and not excess. for instance, i don't cover my car at all if it gets damaged in a wreck. my car's not worth anything, and i'd rather keep the money in my pocket per month than pay for what they might cover one day...by then, i'll have overpaid the value of my car. make sure your coverage isn't too large or too small. i pay $350 every SIX MONTHS for insurance. that's not even minimum.
and do you use coupons? do you shop clearance/sales? i know so many pointers and tips it's not funny. i don't work, but my job is to save every penny of spange's i can...it takes some time and effort, but you wouldn't believe all the money i've saved over time. it's crazy!!
YOU CAN DO THIS-- it takes practice and determination...and one day you'll be laughing (like we all hope to do) about how poor you were way back when.

:heart: