Beer Thread Episode 4: Amphibian brews

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
Chimney and I received an email a couple of days ago from Hoppin' Frog Brewery. They are releasing a few new beers for bottling this weekend just for local pickup from the brewery itself.

From the winter warmer festival chim and I went to, they introduced (tapped that morning for the first time as a matter of fact) was Outta Kilter Scotch Red Ale. Very very tasty and surprisingly strong for a scotch ale (8%) it was quite lovely. They have decided to brew up a batch for bottling. Chimney is bummed because he is working so he can't pick it up. I think I might be the awesome wife and pick some up for him.

Also they are releasing a barrel-aged version of their BORIS Imperial Oatmeal Stout. This is their award winner based from a recipe that the brewmaster had made for Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Stout (he was the former brewmaster with Thirsty Dog before he left and started Hoppin' Frog). This should be epic as the default stout is amazing. I should definitely pick up a bunch of those as well.

Fortunately the smallest bottle size they serve is a bomber so a case or two would be quite lovely.

Should I pick up any more for anyone else?

What is it that makes a Scotch Red Ale different from random beer name goes here - Coors. Seriously, I know how some of the main beers taste - lager, ale, stout, etc, but why? Seems you might actually know...

What is it that makes a Scotch Red Ale different from random beer name goes here - Coors. Seriously, I know how some of the main beers taste - lager, ale, stout, etc, but why? Seems you might actually know...

Without going all wiki on it, what I think of a Scotch style is an ale that's not too terribly high in alcohol content (think between Bud Light and Sam Adams Boston Lager). When I think of Scotch-style, I think of something heavy and rich, creamy tasting. It isn't dark like a porter or stout but rather like Killians or a deep amber color. The heavy smoothness and color come from using a lot more malt than a traditional lager like Bud Light. Also I think of Scotch-style ales as being low in hops content (the whole reason IPAs were designed, but that is for another episode) so there is no "skunkiness" or bitterness.

The red is obviously from the malt as well, at least the particular malted barley they used to give it that redish hew.

So in conclusion, this ale uses more malted barley and less hops than say a Sam Adams recipe. This particular recipe from Hoppin' Frog uses even more malt and different types of malt with more sugars that feed the stronger yeast Fred puts in to make it 8%. It also makes it even creamier and heavier tasting.

Whats your favorite (nationally available) beer with a good steak?

Depends on how the steak was done, naked or seasoned. If it is just a very simple salt/pepper seasoning or less, a conventional lager has the right amount of refreshment for such a heavy food item but still has enough girth to be tasted. Sam Adams Boston goes well. A good porter would be excellent as well and Sam Adams again should be available and do the job. A pilsner will work well here, too and there are a lot of Czech and German varieties to choose from. Warsteiner is a nice choice, too.

If it is a cookout in the nice summer weather (or in FL in just weather), you can get away with a good wheat beer (not Blue Moon please) or Imperial Wheat. Hate to say it but Sam Adams Imperial seasonal special brew this year can do the job as well. It is full bodied to hold up to a steak but light enough to be refreshing on a hotter day.

If you are doing like a peppercorn butter sauce or something like blackened steak or with a rub as a seasoning, best have a thirst quensher as you will not find too many tasty beers that can pair. That said if it is a spicy rub, IPA or bitter beers go very well. Stone Brewing IPA will get the job done. If you are really adventurous and you can get it, your hometown Bell's Hopslam will stand up to anything. If you are a glutton for punishment, Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard or even more potent Double Bastard will pair to a really harsh peppery sauce.

A nice, thick medium rare steak with light seasoning is perfectly mated with a well brewed IPA (india Pale Ale). They go so damn good together.

A nice, thick medium rare steak with light seasoning is perfectly mated with a well brewed IPA (india Pale Ale). They go so damn good together.

A creamy subtle IPA like Bell's is quite nice, for sure. I am spoiled and can get Commadore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing. 7.5% and creamy. It even ages well and gets more smooth :drool:

Fly, maybe you should cook something delicious and I can work on a pairing for you. I will design the tablescapes and were my frilly outfit.

I always wanted a dinner party!!!