FYI Been gone for a while

We're trying to deal now with simple antibacterial hand sanitizer and careful management.

I feel for you with that. I remember all we did for my mom when she was on chemo. Though back then they didn't suggest antibacterials, but other fun stuff (it was '93).

I wish you well with your treatments and recovery from said treatments. So glad to hear that your prognosis is so good too!

So in August, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer.

I've been feeling like hammered shit up until basically today. I started chemotherapy last week, and now I can't stand up for more than about 15 minutes at a stretch (my hematocrit is around 30% right now). What'd I miss?

Well, that is horrible. :/
Stay strong. :heart:

Cancer is so horrible that even it's cure sucks ass. My favorite aunt and younger sister still don't have a good relationship because of how mean chemo made my aunt, and that was back in '93.

How long until you get back to "normal"?

This is why I would not elect for chemo if I were to ever be diagnosed with cancer. If it's my time, it's my time, I guess.

This is why I would not elect for chemo if I were to ever be diagnosed with cancer. If it's my time, it's my time, I guess.

yeah, thats dumb.

Chance to be cured, and see your daughter and sons grow up and grandkids and all that, or just give up and die?

yeah.

Also, if I'm dead, how the hell should I care what my kids & grandkids are doing?

I really think it's giving too much painful hope to those waiting for you to be "cured". And them going thru the heart wrenching process of watching you wither away. As I said, depends on the type & what stage.

yeah, thats dumb.

Chance to be cured, and see your daughter and sons grow up and grandkids and all that, or just give up and die?

yeah.

If the chemo would make my cancer go completely into remission I would do it. But after watching my friend suffer through it last year when at best they were hoping to give her an extra year or two of life, no way. It was horrible. :(

If the chemo would make my cancer go completely into remission I would do it. But after watching my friend suffer through it last year when at best they were hoping to give her an extra year or two of life, no way. It was horrible. :(

Right. It's not a guaranteed treatment. And again, let me stress...type of cancer & stage make the difference in what my choice would be.

Right. It's not a guaranteed treatment. And again, let me stress...type of cancer & stage make the difference in what my choice would be.

By the time they found it in my friend she was in 4th stage lung cancer. They told her without it she wouldn't make it a year, with it they thought possibley a few more years. She did it and regretted it almost instantly. She made it 13 months.

By the time they found it in my friend she was in 4th stage lung cancer. They told her without it she wouldn't make it a year, with it they thought possibley a few more years. She did it and regretted it almost instantly. She made it 13 months.

Yikes. :( :( :( :(

No thanks.

you all remember the people who died, not the people who got another 40 years

every single person in my family that has died, has died of cancer. I will too, so will my parents.

They also survived it several times before they died. My grandmother had cancer 4 times in her life, the earliest in her 40s. She beat it then and didnt get it again until she was 60something, beat it then too, and beat it again in her 70s. All different types of cancer, not remissions.

Because she didnt just say "eh, im done", i got to know my grandma. That is, before alzheimers took her away :(

My ex-wife's mother fell ill with cancer. She had bone marrow cancer and went through a ton of chemo. What the chemo did to her body was horrible. It destroyed her. She eventually did after a couple of years.

I don't bother with trying to be fit and in shape. I smoke, and if they had cheap prices for smokes all over the world, I would continue to smoke. I'm not worried about the health risks, as life it's self is a bigger health risk.

I'm glad you said it depends on stage and type. Even still, I cannot imagine giving it a shot at our age. Chemo sucks, no doubt about it. I was given 50% odds when I got it and here I am today, nearly 10 years later. It sucked to suffer through and it destroyed a lot that I'm still struggling with, but I have this beautiful life and a beautiful daughter. I'm so lucky!

That sounds like my mom. 7 months between diagnosis and death and all any of the treatments that were supposed to extend her life did was make her more miserable. It's a crap shoot though, you never can tell.

My ex-wife's mother fell ill with cancer. She had bone marrow cancer and went through a ton of chemo. What the chemo did to her body was horrible. It destroyed her. She eventually did after a couple of years.

I don't bother with trying to be fit and in shape. I smoke, and if they had cheap prices for smokes all over the world, I would continue to smoke. I'm not worried about the health risks, as life it's self is a bigger health risk.

And this I think is one of the secrets to life. Stress is a bigger health risk than anyone gives it credit for. Worrying will kill you!

So in August, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer.

I've been feeling like hammered shit up until basically today. I started chemotherapy last week, and now I can't stand up for more than about 15 minutes at a stretch (my hematocrit is around 30% right now). What'd I miss?

I'm sorry for this :(
I remember when you first posted about the issue but I had no idea it was cancer.
Prayers for you and your family my friend, stay strong :heart:

you all remember the people who died, not the people who got another 40 years
Truth. I'm looking forward to never dealing with this again.

The type of chemotherapy I'm getting (using cisplatin) does somewhat raise my chances for leukemia down the road, but not higher than my 2-5% chance of developing cancer in the other testicle.

I'll get some other nasty from of it before I die, no doubt - both of my grandfathers died of cancer, one of colon, one of prostate. It's without a doubt in the cards for me, and when it happens, whether I fight or not will depend on the staging and prognosis. Who knows, maybe by then there'll be a cure instead of this poisoning shit.

Last edited:
Truth. I'm looking forward to never dealing with this again.

The type of chemotherapy I'm getting (using cisplatin) does somewhat raise my chances for leukemia down the road, but not higher than my 2-5% chance of developing cancer in the other testicle.

I'll get some other nasty from of it before I die, no doubt - both of my grandfathers died of cancer, one of colon, one of prostate. It's without a doubt in the cards for me, and when it happens, whether I fight or not will depend on the staging and prognosis. Who knows, maybe by then there'll be a cure instead of this poisoning shit.

That's what I keep hoping for - a real cure. So far I've only had one family member die of cancer (my mom - cervical at 48) but it sucked to watch her go through everything. 20 years later I still hope they find a cure!