Hawt Because Racecar

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,616
Steam
asastang
I make racecar. Racecar go fast. Fast is good. VROOOOOOOM

We've been working towards getting the car ready, while we've been doing that we've had new member meetings, taken the cars to a couple of our sponsors, met new sponsors, and in general have tried to be productive.

8L444Aq.jpg

8VwDJ4o.jpg

JYVfoNF.jpg

I will update the thread as more things happen in the season.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
So, our primary welder flaked out on us, said he didn't have time due to work and school. We've been trying to find another welder. We have one guy on the team good enough to weld the majority of the car, but he's also our lead engine guy and if he welds everything, we won't have any engine development.
We've gotten to the point where we need to hire someone, so I reached out to a bunch of people who have previously welded the frame to get estimates of how many manhours it would take to weld.

The guy that flaked out on us responds to the email with this big speech about how our engine guy needs to "man up and just weld the damned frame"
WTF?

If time restrictions allow, and you've got the dexterity to solder, TIG welding isn't hard to do.

Get some material to practice on, and have your engine guy set up and show you the machine. Make sure you're using the right filler rods etc.

If time restrictions allow, and you've got the dexterity to solder, TIG welding isn't hard to do.

Get some material to practice on, and have your engine guy set up and show you the machine. Make sure you're using the right filler rods etc.
I've TIG'd in the past, and if I had a month or two I might get back to the point where I could do the frame, but I don't have a month or two nor do I have the time necessary to actually weld the frame.

That's what we've been thinking as well. I plan to hit up one this week. We tried to Friday when we had the car with us when we were visiting sponsors, but for some reason it was closed

Frame is 90% welded. Got everywhere the welder could reach while it was in the jigs, so last night we unboxed it

cum5VoG.jpg

p1rOJDl.jpg

Now we have to weld tabs on. Meanwhile we have stuff off getting machined.

Also, the engine might get a black box installed this year.

We partnered with Andersen RacePark in Palmetto. They're going to help us with driver training, choosing the drivers, suspension tuning, and all sorts of other related things.

As a getting-to-know you, they invited us down for a 75 lap endurance race. Everyone was divided into ten two-person teams, given some brief safety stuff and a 30 minute practise session.
Almost everyone spun out once or twice, there was bumping and rubbing to try and push people out of the way. I ran one of the guys straight into the barrier. It was great.
My team-mate and I came in 8th, but our times were nice and consistent

otlowGr.jpg

eX2Cwav.jpg

8tKBYiM.jpg

RzRgqJK.jpg

KPajGVq.jpg