Battlefield 2

theacoustician said:
I say pfft, cause if bast is playing, he'll clean the floor with all of us. He IS a video game.

He'd be too busy admiring the soldier's outfits to fire his gun.

smileynev said:
He'd be too busy admiring the soldier's outfits to fire his gun.

[theoffice]Oooh, doesn't he look tasty in his uniform.[/theoffice]

edit: I was the best DC helo pilot I've ever seen or heard of, a day of reckoning will come to all soon! :rolleyes: at myself.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
[theoffice]Oooh, doesn't he look tasty in his uniform.[/theoffice]

edit: I was the best DC helo pilot I've ever seen or heard of, a day of reckoning will come to all soon! :rolleyes: at myself.

I could fly a pretty mean huey in vietnam. I wasn't the best, but I could hold my own and crash with the best of them.

KNYTE said:
We're waiting for the Linux ded files to be released so we can get one cheaper than the people who get them day of release on Windows boxes.

[GHTOPTSPWTNDTITRWLHOWTGGD]KNYTE does have a ring to it...

:lol:

but yeah, I'm up for some sort of UF clan :cool:

fly said:
KNYTE: Whats the cost and overhead involved in running a server?

It varies by host company, box operating system, features, and amount of playable slots.

For our CSS server my buddy and I pay about $40 for a 16 slot public server, which we split up the cost of among the sub-admins and ourselves based on how much admin power they have.

$2/month lets them change maps and have some basic commands.

$5/month gives the ability to slay players and kick.

so on and so forth...

I have no idea how much BF2 will cost to run initially though, but I'd expect it to be around $50/60 per month for a good sized server.

fly said:
:wtf:

iirc, its ~$100 a month. I'm more interested in the administration of the server tho, as my loonix skills are SERIOUSLY lacking.

It should be closer to $50 than $100 these days. The nice thing about equipment and bandwith getting cheaper, and competition rising in the hosting industry, is that game servers have dropped in price quite a bit.

Last edited:
fly said:
:wtf:

iirc, its ~$100 a month. I'm more interested in the administration of the server tho, as my loonix skills are SERIOUSLY lacking.
My understanding that for a small server its even less than that. You can scrap it together with just about any boxen, throw Loonix and the gamefiles on there, hook it to a high speed connection, and its a server. I guess it depends on the game and how many people you want on it though.

theacoustician said:
My understanding that for a small server its even less than that. You can scrap it together with just about any boxen, throw Loonix and the gamefiles on there, hook it to a high speed connection, and its a server. I guess it depends on the game and how many people you want on it though.
LOL HOSTING ON A DSL.

fly said:
LOL HOSTING ON A DSL.

You'd be surprised how many people try it for CSS.

I probably get at least one guy a week on my server who says "Hey guys come try out my new server" and like 5 people leave to check it out. They come back all pissed because they have 300-400 pings because the guy is hosting it on his 256/256 home DSL conn. :rolleyes:

KNYTE said:
For our CSS server my buddy and I pay about $40 for a 16 slot public server, which we split up the cost of among the sub-admins and ourselves based on how much admin power they have.
Whoa. That's way cheaper than I thought. Are you just buying slots on a huge server (some soft of virtual server thingie) or is the whole server yours?