Ontopic Bad legal system or unlucky guy

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
I wanted to make a thread about this gu'ys story because it's literally the most back and forth legal fuck up I've seen. It's local here so I don't know how much it's hit national news.

In 2000 19 year old Rene Lima-Marin was sentenced 98 years in prison for 2 armed video store robberies (know one was injured). In 2008 he was let out on parole. After he got out he completely turned his life around. Got married, bought a house, had a few kids, and got a good job. Basically lived a normal life.

6 years later in 2014 the State realizes they released him on parole by mistake due to a clerical error. He was told by his appeals attorney his sentence was 16 years and the State realized he was supposed to serve his sentences consecutively not concurrently. So in 2014 they send him back to prison saying their error doesn't do away with his sentence.

It obviously went to court again and his argument was he was released on parole and was living an upstanding life. If he thought he shouldn't be out he wouldn't have got married, bought a house, had kids, etc. He was in jail until just recently when the judge declared it would be cruel and unusual punishment to send him back to jail again.

So Rene is all happy walks out of prison thinking he's done and going home to see his family and boom ICE arrests him as soon as he walks out because he immigrated from Cuba with his father when he was 2 years old. And since he has a felony record they are going to deport him. So once again he's back in prison.

Today our Governor says fuck all of this and issues a pardon to wipe the felony off his record so ICE can't deport him. And he does it in the knick of time So once again he's leaving prison thinking he's going home to his family. Then as he's getting ready to leave some other State lawmakers say hey not so fast. It's the law that the Governor has to give everyone involved 14 days so the other side can fight it. So basically they are suing making the pardon null and void. So now he's back in the hands of ICE waiting to see what will happen next.

Wtf, I knew the whole accidental release thing, but not the ice stuff. So the dude isn't in the clear eh?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Wtf, I knew the whole accidental release thing, but not the ice stuff. So the dude isn't in the clear eh?

Nope still in custody because they are trying to nullify the pardon. Which they are afraid ICE is just going to deport his ass before they can resolve it.

Goddamnit. This isn't immigration enforcement, it's racism

Like WTF is the point of deporting a 40 year old man who came here when he was 2. It's like that guy the deported last year to Korea who was adopted as a baby but somehow the paperwork was legal or correct and he was arrested for something as an adult and they shipped him off to a place he doesn't now and doesn't speak the language.

Nope still in custody because they are trying to nullify the pardon. Which they are afraid ICE is just going to deport his ass before they can resolve it.

This is a horrible story...
I mean he can go back to Cuba (temp) and come back no?
Cuba isn't the worst place in the world .. but I assume he's got no money or family there etc

This clerical error is on another level
This guy and his family need some serious compensation

This is a horrible story...
I mean he can go back to Cuba (temp) and come back no?
Cuba isn't the worst place in the world .. but I assume he's got no money or family there etc

This clerical error is on another level
This guy and his family need some serious compensation
when you get deported, they also get to decide for how long you are barred from reentering, and you can be barred indefinitely

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
when you get deported, they also get to decide for how long you are barred from reentering, and you can be barred indefinitely

Damn!

@Floptical is there a link for this? On your local paper or something ... I'd love to see what happens or if you can keep updating.

THE CUBANS SHOULD RIOT THE SUBURBAN STREETS OF WHEREVER YOU LIVE FOR THIS INJUSTICE