Bad/gross habits

Is there any studied method for stopping such behaviors? I've tried on my own a few times and it's so programmed into me that I do it without realizing.

You could try soaking your finger tips in a mixture of vinegar and animal urine.
Im sure the taste of that would put you off it after a while.
Youll need some mints for your breath tho.

You could try soaking your finger tips in a mixture of vinegar and animal urine.
Im sure the taste of that would put you off it after a while.
Youll need some mints for your breath tho.

Why would I want to dilute perfectly good animal urine with vinegar?

Somewhere there is a university professor living in a 5000 sq foot house on a hill paid for by government grants for studying something like this.
show me a researcher living in a 5000 s.f. house and i'll show you one paid by industry rather than the government.

i bite off the skin next to my finger nails too. it doesn't bleed or anything. it's just extra skin that has to be taken off.

I'd be curious about this...I actually have an early memory of seeing my mother biting the skin next to her nails and thinking wow, that must hurt but at the same time being curious as to why she would do it. So I tried it and it developed into a bad habit. This would have been when I was 6 or 7 maybe. Those who know me have seen my extremely nasty thumbs due to this habit.

Maybe I got the double whammy, genetics and learned behavior.

Is there any studied method for stopping such behaviors? I've tried on my own a few times and it's so programmed into me that I do it without realizing.

one of my professors actually discovered the trait - i'll have a chat with him tomorrow since i love you all so much.

that's a good 2 hours for a 5 second question... grim...