WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

yes, the point you want to take from this is "see, they DO have training!" and not that, like, the training is so focused on practicing a degree of brutality they hope to inflict upon the public that they beat one of their own 99% of the way to death to where he could only blink his desire for the release of death.
Or maybe he was actually a "good cop" and they showed him what they thought of that.

Honestly I'm guessing he fell and the instructors were just screaming for everyone to keep going. I've been in a couple training scenarios like that and people would just walk away because it's super toxic. I was at a police academy in 2017? and they took our water away when it was over 100 outside and had us run till people were puking because someone fucked where they parked.

Anyway, Im sure they do that in hairdressing school all the time.

Im being glib but you understand the point. It is HARD to be aggressive for no reason. I got bitched out a bunch of times when I bounced some dude off a glass window hard and let him run over like $30 of underwear. I was afraid I was being too agressive, apparently I wasnt trying hard enough. Like you dont know how it works... When your superiors can pull footage and monday morning quaterback your entire shift. I cant properly express the amount of stress...
Maybe it's a bad fucking policy to be aggressive for no reason then....

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Honestly I'm guessing he fell and the instructors were just screaming for everyone to keep going. I've been in a couple training scenarios like that and people would just walk away because it's super toxic. I was at a police academy in 2017? and they took our water away when it was over 100 outside and had us run till people were puking because someone fucked where they parked.

Im being glib but you understand the point. It is HARD to be aggressive for no reason. I got bitched out a bunch of times when I bounced some dude off a glass window hard and let him run over like $30 of underwear. I was afraid I was being too agressive, apparently I wasnt trying hard enough. Like you dont know how it works... When your superiors can pull footage and monday morning quaterback your entire shift. I cant properly express the amount of stress...
FWIW, its less hard to be aggressive for no reason in groups. Milgram really showed how fucking weird our psychology is.

I'm not sure that any of this is doing what you think it is - that the individual officers/trainees may have been urged or pressured into this behavior is absolutely a fucking problem. and this is one of the reasons why I'm not trying to hear people suggesting we can "fix policing" be throwing money at them for "more training."

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I'm not sure that any of this is doing what you think it is - that the individual officers/trainees may have been urged or pressured into this behavior is absolutely a fucking problem. and this is one of the reasons why I'm not trying to hear people suggesting we can "fix policing" be throwing money at them for "more training."
Um I was saying it is absolutely a problem. It is military training gone off rails. You also cannot talk about it or risk being voted off the island. Im in a different place because I didn't become a regular cop but there are issues with criticizing other agencies and we dont know the particulars of what happened.

Um I was saying it is absolutely a problem. It is military training gone off rails. You also cannot talk about it or risk being voted off the island. Im in a different place because I didn't become a regular cop but there are issues with criticizing other agencies and we dont know the particulars of what happened.
sorry, I struggle to grasp the tone/angle your posts sometimes bc I can't always discern whether you're being critical or defensive. I do this with everyone's posts, reading too much or not enough into it, and fear of the same is part of why my own posts usually end up so fucking long lol

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH
sorry, I struggle to grasp the tone/angle your posts sometimes bc I can't always discern whether you're being critical or defensive. I do this with everyone's posts, reading too much or not enough into it, and fear of the same is part of why my own posts usually end up so fucking long lol
You're good. English is a beautiful language and I've taken full liberties with how I say things but they come across as incomprehensible at times. I feel like an idiot in most foreign tongues because I cant get across the same level of depth in meaning. Believe me I've asked kiki for help on several occasions with spanish.

Reminds me of the time I was asked to do something and I said "The die is cast" and almost got fired.

Not sure what that has to do with it. None of the people in Milgram were violent criminals.
That's sorta the points that On Killing brings up. It's rare that people go into a situation wanting to hurt people. It requires a lot of training to overcome that initial instinct to just stop once there is no threat.

One of my friends, Manoa Jojola, was killed by someone fleeing from the police in early 2000. It was briefly the policy of the police department to abandon high speed chases after that, because police aren't any better at high speed driving than the rest of the general population.