WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

Know your rights.

An eviction is a lawsuit. The nasty letter that says "be out in 3 days or else" is just step one of that process. You don't really have to be out on X day just because they say so.

They have to file suit, have hearings, prove non-payment or whatever else, illegal activity, massive damage, whatever, get a judgement, then the clock starts on when you need to be out. If you're not, they have to again contact the court and have a sheriff come remove you.

Of course they can also intimidate and make your life hell during the process and make you not care and want to run away too.

The procedure varies by state but if you knew your rights and if you knew the process and if you had your paperwork in order and if your local law enforcement and courts did their job (lot of ifs there I know) you could've at least got a civil judgement for the value of your stuff and possibly even a criminal misdemeanor vandalism or theft on them...maybe.

The courts almost always side with the landlord but if you know the process you can stretch it out for 3 weeks or so. Basically take that months income and put it down on another place then bolt last minute.

Of course sometimes it's worth your sanity to just gtfo without dragging it all out.

If you were in tx I could easily tell you how to work it to your greatest advantage from either side, renter or landlord. Been doing this a long time.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS*

* unless you're a black person interacting with the police, then exclusions may apply

What pisses me off is I'm still getting billed for water and power 9 months later.

How? Did you not close the utility accounts?
If it was an all-bills-paid / all-inclusive type deal those bills go away along with the rent upon eviction. You should only be responsible for what was used up til your last day.

The rent contract might say different but that contract is no good anymore once you're out.

The landlord (or a representative of theirs) would've had to go to court to get a real eviction judgement against you. If you were a no-show at that hearing they'd win by default and pretty much get whatever they asked for.

How? Did you not close the utility accounts?
If it was an all-bills-paid / all-inclusive type deal those bills go away along with the rent upon eviction. You should only be responsible for what was used up til your last day.

The rent contract might say different but that contract is no good anymore once you're out.

The landlord (or a representative of theirs) would've had to go to court to get a real eviction judgement against you. If you were a no-show at that hearing they'd win by default and pretty much get whatever they asked for.
I think I finally got it canceled last month. Had to be on the phone with the power company for almost two hours.

I'm fairly certain we missed the hearing because she was hiding stuff from me. Thing is they aren't supposed to do self help evictions here even with a judgement. Sheriff's office does evictions on Thursdays and you are supposed to always have a law enforcement standby. We literally had maitnence people just walk in and start throwing out stuff out on a Monday. (we had been in the process of moving stuff into storage the previous two days so didn't lose much cept food that was in the refrigerator, couple tables and the laundry that was in the dryer) it just pissed me off, and the ex had to climb inside the dumpster to get her clothes.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
hey guises! got the ukelele krew new merch

d47002edbbc4c960051a9f40efee7361.jpg

i saw this last night. powerful as fuck and she did exactly what i would have done
Nah bro everyone is trained to just stand there. Also like the 1000th time I've said this, resting your hand on your gun is nothing.

She's trying to escalate I would've tried to make friends by explaining what I was doing but women officers...

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Wilco (county to the north of us) is notorious around here for shit like that and worse, and has been for longer than I've lived here (almost 25 years now).
Widely known you don't want to get caught with so much as a roach in the ashtray up there.

Also the ones doing some live PD tv show and caught placing bets on who could get the producer in bed with them or something to that effect.

Also the ones who get shit-faced at department softball games and bbq parties then cover for each other while the ones on duty nail everyone else for questionable dwi's.

And many more such stories.
The whole place needs to get flushed.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
No murder charges, no manslaughter charges, nothing but three counts of wanton endangerment.
Someone's gonna burn something down