WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

1597694659903.png

Fucking Sheriffs. Should just close them down nation wide. Nothing but trouble.
Uh... That's not really how it works.

Lemme explain dear furriner:
Sheriffs, police, and troopers are all police officers. Sheriffs and police have to meet a certain training req. Troopers usually go to essentially a boot camp because they are typically held to a higher standard (and have statewide jurisdiction in all crimes).

The difference is jurisdiction. Some states sheriffs are the end all be all of crimes committed in certain counties. Some states sheriffs cover what city/town police don't. Some states have county police o_O and sheriffs only enforce court orders. Sheriffs always are in charge of court enforcement though.

For example:
Where I used to live we were too rural for the sheriff department. The state troopers covered us. Then they would pass some things on to the sheriff and I never saw a cop.

Here:
County police covers us, 500ft up the road is the city cops and sheriffs do court security and evictions. Troopers strictly handle things county police ask for help with and hiway crime.

In WI I never saw a sheriff but every township had like 5 cops who would band together. State police only did hiway enforcement.

Oh there are also peace officers. Typically campus police, special police and constables. Training is way lower as are arrest powers. They are usually hooked into the public safety system though and will sic the police on ya.

Uh... That's not really how it works.

Lemme explain dear furriner:
Sheriffs, police, and troopers are all police officers. Sheriffs and police have to meet a certain training req. Troopers usually go to essentially a boot camp because they are typically held to a higher standard (and have statewide jurisdiction in all crimes).

The difference is jurisdiction. Some states sheriffs are the end all be all of crimes committed in certain counties. Some states sheriffs cover what city/town police don't. Some states have county police o_O and sheriffs only enforce court orders. Sheriffs always are in charge of court enforcement though.

For example:
Where I used to live we were too rural for the sheriff department. The state troopers covered us. Then they would pass some things on to the sheriff and I never saw a cop.

Here:
County police covers us, 500ft up the road is the city cops and sheriffs do court security and evictions. Troopers strictly handle things county police ask for help with and hiway crime.

In WI I never saw a sheriff but every township had like 5 cops who would band together. State police only did hiway enforcement.

Oh there are also peace officers. Typically campus police, special police and constables. Training is way lower as are arrest powers. They are usually hooked into the public safety system though and will sic the police on ya.
I know how they work. I've lived in the US and I've been arrested and put through the legal system before.

What I don't get is why now? It seems to me that the sheriff's department is kinda redundant these days. Like it just society clinging to the past for the sake of tradition.

The US in dire need of reforming the way they do policing. Maybe absorbing the Sheriff's Department into the county department could be apart of that reform if they ever actually get around to it.

I know how they work. I've lived in the US and I've been arrested and put through the legal system before.

What I don't get is why now? It seems to me that the sheriff's department is kinda redundant these days. Like it just society clinging to the past for the sake of tradition.

The US in dire need of reforming the way they do policing. Maybe absorbing the Sheriff's Department into the county department could be apart of that reform if they ever actually get around to it.

The sheriff IS the county. They're also the only law enforcement we get to vote on. All the rest are appointed bureaucrats for anything from small municipality up to the state.

If anything the sheriff needs to stay and the others need to shrink.

• Gravy
Reactions: Frau Blugher
Haven't really dug into it, will when I have time, but the "defunding" here might actually be in motion to some degree.

Quotes because defunding never actually happens. Gov never skims less than they were before but they will shift it around and pretend they're doing something useful from time to time.

So the militarized squads will still be fully supported of course but they might actually be pulling some away from the PD and putting it toward mental health crisis units or something to have people better trained in that deal with the nutsos instead of street cops just initiate the cycle of jailing them, then letting them go back out on the street only to shit on a sidewalk or grope some young lady or threaten people who don't give them money at a stoplight, then get jailed again, only to be released again, to do the same shit.

After enough of that they end up at the county jail going even more insane for a year or two waiting for a spot to become available at a state run insane asylum.

The sheriff IS the county. They're also the only law enforcement we get to vote on. All the rest are appointed bureaucrats for anything from small municipality up to the state.

If anything the sheriff needs to stay and the others need to shrink.
I don't know how to talk to people as stupid as you. I just can't dumb myself down to that level.

Sheriffs are prolly the most accountable law enforcement. You get to vote for them.

State Troopers are usually pure professionals. It's usually because they are basically military.

It's city cops you gotta watch out for.